Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revive Sadolin Woodfiller that's dried up a bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On that datasheet it states "VOC Content: Not applicable" which would suggest that there is no solvent in it. Maybe it's just water based?

Website here suggest it is ...

https://www.dulux.in/en/products/sadolin-interior-exterior-wood-filler

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

That's a slightly different product from the one I linked Alun so the composition may be different.

The datasheet (and on the label) for the one I have includes this line that pushed me down the cellulose/turps directions:

- Nitro-cellulose resin dispersed / dissolved in an organic solvent.

The is why I reckoned that turps might work. I took a punt on it anyway and it worked ok but cured slightly faster than when freshly opened; and turps smells nice of course!

It was only for a workshop project so it wouldn't have mattered if it went wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Chilly,
    I think it is water based from reading the directions.

"Cleaning Equipment:
    Filling knives and other equipment should be cleaned with warm water before the product hardens."

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Yeah I agree; I spotted that line too and concluded that it probably is primarily water based but the phrasing and lack of an explicit "water based" declaration got me thinking that it's probably a cocktail. So if you want to break something already partially cured back down rather than just thinning, then one of its more aggressive ingredient solvents might be useful.

I had a second go with an even older more dried up pot and found that 50/50 water and turps (added in small quantities and alternating) worked an absolute treat - it's almost like new and cures at the same speed!

I started with the water to see if it would work well on its own and the outer, more cured parts were reluctant to join the party.

It was an interesting couple of experiments - thanks all :)

Advertisement