Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

25 and in a rut.

• 28-02-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but anyway.

I'm 25 years of age, living at home (job is only 30 mins away) , broke up with my long term girlfriend (so basically don't know many groups of girls) and a bit disillusioned with my job.

What tips would people give going forward. Should I take a year or two go travelling and re-fresh myself. Should I know not worry about looking for a new girlfriend and just enjoy life? I'm a bit anxious as when you invest so much time in to something and it ends its hard to motivate again.

I've been thinking of heading to Australia for a year maybe 2 and enjoying life this year. I'm just worried I could come back 27/28 single and in the same situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Trillet wrote: »
    I've been thinking of heading to Australia for a year maybe 2 and enjoying life this year. I'm just worried I could come back 27/28 single and in the same situation.

Same here, buddy. Following this thread as I'm pretty much like you but I'm 26 and I broke with my gf a long time ago :D

The idea of enjoying life was appealing to me too, but travelling abroad for a year or two really makes me think of that "being 28yo single, with everyone around you either getting married or already having a family" when one will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Same here....though 27 near on 28....farming and working....but thinking of chucking it in to go travelling around NZ for a few months....possibly cycle all over out there

Kinda half scared to....but don't want to look back in 5 years and be killing myself for not doing it.....following here with much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Trillet

I'm still trying to get over my ex. I thought it would be great being single, I'm not the best looking guy but she was a worldie, I look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Hoping to head to Oz and if I meet someone, stay there perhaps for a other year.

Who knows what the future holds, I think we just need to keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Go. If you are thinking about it then go for a year or two. All this will be waiting for you when you get back and you won't have missed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭minnow

As someone who was in similar position 10+ years ago, I would say GO! You'll never regret it. In 5 years, you'll regret if you don't. What have you got to lose? I laugh at the concern about coming back at 27/28 as single. That's still young. You've loads of time, go off and see something new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

minnow wrote:
    I laugh at the concern about coming back at 27/28 as single. That's still young. You've loads of time, go off and see something new

This! 28 and single isn't over the hill or left on the shelf haha :-)

Enjoy yourself no matter what you do, if you can't be happy alone you can't bring much to a relationship either :-)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Go traveling op. Best thing I've ever done at your age. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Trillet wrote: »
    I'm 25 years of age, living at home (job is only 30 mins away) , broke up with my long term girlfriend (so basically don't know many groups of girls) and a bit disillusioned with my job.

I left Ireland at 24/25 for the same reasons, I'm very glad I did.

If you do come back, your relationship status will be low on your list of priorities. You have no vision for your life right now. There is a lot more for a man to achieve in life than to have a relationship. Find that out sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mickey1985

I would advise to go aswell OP.I'm 30 now and didn't go when I was your age and regret it big time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

minnow wrote: »
    As someone who was in similar position 10+ years ago, I would say GO! You'll never regret it. In 5 years, you'll regret if you don't. What have you got to lose? I laugh at the concern about coming back at 27/28 as single. That's still young. You've loads of time, go off and see something new

This.

I'm 25, engaged with two children so the opposite end of the spectrum to yourself, but you can't sit around and wait for life to happen. Go explore and enjoy, don't dwell on the future, enjoy the opportunities you have now because I promise you they won't be there forever. I'm very happy with my life but if I was in your situation I'd be gone in a heartbeat. My best friend who id the same age is actually in the same situation as you and she is off to Oz next month. I know sometimes she feels the same about coming home, looking for someone and wanting a family, I think it is natural to feel like that at some stage but like I said to her you'll regret sitting around at home when you could have gone off and experienced the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I went at 26. Don't regret a thing. Learned a lot about myself and the confidence boost I got from independence has stood to me to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Do it. I did. What will you remember on your death bed ? Trips like that, experiences. If you have an urge / desire listen to it.
    BTW, in ten years or so, you'll laugh at your assumption that at 27 ish if you haven't met someone and settled down you're past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This post has been deleted.

I agree, go. But don't go looking for a girlfriend. Go looking to see what is happening in the world, go to experience other countries, different people. If a relationship happens, well and good. But don't go looking for one.

And think very carefully before you gang up in a group. There are all sorts of good reasons for going on your own. If you go with someone else you are 'responsible' to some extent for each other. You have to accommodate each other. You will miss opportunities that you could take up if you were on your own. And if you go with a gang you will learn nothing, beyond coping with the figaries of the other members of the group.

I headed off, 50 years ago this month, to Africa. A young woman, on my own. No mobile phones, 14 day+ wait for an answer to a letter. I had a great time, and learned a lot, it was the foundation for the rest of my life. My only regret was that at 21 I was really too young to appreciate a lot of what I experienced.

Go for it.

Advertisement