Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here when you buy a new game

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Just in case this is of interest to any of you , a quick vid I did of a hybrid electronic/board game from 1982 (Parker Bros)' Lost treasure'.
    I'm more into collecting old video/electronic games as opposed to board games (in fact I sold off most of what I had , as I just didnt have room for them , last one , Advanced heroquest is still on adverts here by the way) , but I'm hanging on to this fella solely for the electronic part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

Second printing of King of Tokyo finally shipped this week and is now available through Gamers World in Dublin (I think I paid €34) or through whatever shops you normally order from.

king_of_tokyo-boardgame-2.jpg

Had a couple of games of this last night with 5 people and some beer, it is a nice quick game (30 mins or so), that has a good balance of luck and strategy (dice rolling Yahtzee style) where each turn you're caught between trying to kill off someone else, further your own points, or heal.

I also picked up Fury of Dracula on adverts last week, which I've had my eye out for over the past while.

Fury_Of_Dracula_game_d.png

Haven't had a chance to play that yet but if this rotten weather continues there should be a good chance of that being something to do over the weekend. FoD is a Scotland Yard style deduction game with a combat system and a few other mechanics thrown in that make it look quite fun.

MD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

King Of Tokyo looks very nice. FOD is a very good game.

Yeah King of Tokyo is really attractive - very colourful, big chunky dice, no real fiddly bits, and the mechanics are very simple to grasp but still has a tactical edge.

The cards are where the tactical element comes into play, with different power-ups and abilities being unlocked...the only drawback I have from the couple of games we played was that the cards didn't see much action, since we were all generally preoccupied with attacking and healing...I've seen a few people on Boardgamegeek suggesting house ruling to give extra energy tokens (what you use to purchase a card) so I will try that in the next game I think.

But overall impressions from everyone were positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So finally added a new game and I wanted something to do solo that could fill those hours that Eldar Signs didn't really do for me. So here it is:

PUSH850f73285fd4.jpg

Mage Knight and I think it's gonna be a loving relationship. I started that game after work last night when I knew I could have the table undisturbed and got setup around half one. I followed the walkthrough for the first game (with the solo rules added in) and I got done around half 4 :D And I slayed a dragon on my last turn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yeah King of Tokyo is really attractive - ...I've seen a few people on Boardgamegeek suggesting house ruling to give extra energy tokens

Loved this one, picked it up today to play with the kids @home. Probably house rule with the 7 yr old no cards.

Won it thursday night twice, last time was with two cards. one to let me change any one die and the other was to roll one of every die face for 9 points.

I was there. The odds were like 1 million to one. I'll always remember where I was that night.

brianon wrote: »
    I was there. The odds were like 1 million to one. I'll always remember where I was that night.

:) million to one? I saw the 7 year old roll it without help last night. No i did not tell him what he had - am i evil?

yankinlk wrote: »
    :) million to one? I saw the 7 year old roll it without help last night. No i did not tell him what he had - am i evil?

Evil ? Only if after his go you pointed it out and laughed in his face.

Any new games out there?. I picked up Cthulhu dice and find its a great 5 min carry in the pocket game. Good for noobs but lifers will complain its too simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AndruX

Hi,

My latest games:
    Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game and Wave 1 ships. Fantastic miniature game. Rules are not complicated and very easy. It takes 10-15 to teach. All ships are painted. You can build your own squads. Rulebook includes 3 scenarios to play.

War of the Ring Second Edition. Wanted this for a long time and finally a Second Edition was released and re-printed. It's a war game in Middle-earth. Waiting for a new expansion to this game.

7 Wonders: Cities. Expansion for 7 Wonders. New type of cards (Black). New diplomacy tokens

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition). I like this better than 1st edition. Shorter playtime is the main reason for this. Also, I like scenarios as they are different and thematic (you don't need to go to dungeons and kill all monster - players keep playing until one side has achieved their objective). Campaign mode can be played in 20 hours. Heroes can be upgraded between scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Got my copy last month , but a lot of the pieces were broken :(.Only got the replacements today.
    hope to play it the weekend.:D

pic914701_md.jpg

Managed to finally get Zombie Dice + expansion. Was trying to get it in a trade on BGG for ages with no success.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62871/zombie-dice

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/110279/zombie-dice-2-double-feature

Played this with wife and daughter on iPad. Gaming group will love it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Star Wars: The Card Game LCG was on some sort of sale on amazon (17.63 £ + 5.10 £ shipping) could not resist ;) Game did not arrive yet and it is only 2-players, apparently some future expansions will add 4-player option

pic1474141_md.jpg

pic1225000_md.jpg

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

Had a cracking play of this game santy brought. The first cooperative game for the family and they... loved it. I'm still in shock. The team/family has to work together before the island sinks.

We played this on Novice level... and still lost at the very last second. I recon they would have played it again straight away but i wouldnt let them.

Played Forbidden Island on the tablet a good few times and it seems like a great game. Like Pandemic light and I think it's actually from the same developer.

love the game but my son refuse to play as there is no fighting or killing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Got Game of Thrones LCG for xmas, and my kickstarter copy of Dreadball http://www.dreadball.com/ arrived just beforehand. Got a couple of games in, and I'm very excited about the latter.

rzaba666 wrote: »

For your kid, 3 words, King. Of. Tokyo.

rzaba666 wrote: »

It's Alive. I'm sick of telling you about it :)
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28396/its-alive

• Advertisement

I know it's not a new one, but arrived today in the post... My bgg trade for Pirates Cove.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2987/pirates-cove

pic162248_md.jpg

ShooterSF wrote: »
    For your kid, 3 words, King. Of. Tokyo.

have it, love it

brianon wrote: »
    It's Alive. I'm sick of telling you about it :)
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28396/its-alive

problem here is where to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I finally got around to picking up eclipse. I was up in Belfast and I decided to pop over to bangor to check out replay games (Well worth a visit btw).

Now to try and get a group together!

oeb wrote: »
    I finally got around to picking up eclipse. I was up in Belfast and I decided to pop over to bangor to check out replay games (Well worth a visit btw).

Now to try and get a group together!

Gg. We play eclipse regularly down in limerick Thursdays. Even tried the expansion with 9 once. I think when we last played it we nearly even played it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

yankinlk wrote: »
    Gg. We play eclipse regularly down in limerick Thursdays. Even tried the expansion with 9 once. I think when we last played it we nearly even played it correctly.

I'm looking forward to it, my group (When we played more reguarly) used to play TI3 on a weekly basis.

another attempt to play co-op with my son, Flash Point Fire Rescue:

p1050448resize.jpg

so far, so good ;) even my 3 yr old played with us (well, we moved his firefighter and did all other things), very good game for family. You can play family game or experienced game.

some pictures of this fantastic game

p1050452res.jpg

p1050450res.jpg

p1050455res.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

I just got Zombie Dice, Star Wars Miniatures Game and Gloom. I'm new to gaming like this but loving it, want to get Last Night on Earth and Mansions of Madness, maybe Munchkin too.

Are there any gamers in Kildare that meet or get together at all?

• Advertisement

Finally got around to picking up a copy of Mr.Jack last week... I was looking for a light 2 player lunchtime / filler game.

pic157127_md.jpg

It's an easy to understand (but not aesthetically pleasing!) game of deduction / cat and mouse. Played a couple of games so far and it is definitely one that gets better as both players learn how the different characters work.

Sometimes, just by luck of the draw, it can end prematurely and feel a bit of a letdown, but then on the flipside it can get quite tense, and the fact that it takes 2 minutes to set up, and 20 minutes to play makes it easy to gloss over the gammier rounds.

Picked it up from boardgamer.ie - the guy is very nice to deal with. Between this and Gamer's World there's quite a nice selection available now!

Advertisement