Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out - What you need to get/do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Just recently had the same dilemma myself,went to quite a few stores & picked there brains got some great info from a guy called Graham in a store in tralee & ended up buying a Bic Bilbao sit on top kayak which I have taken out nearly every wkend since getting with my mate who purchased 1 aswell.Just shop around there are deals out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 donadonie

Hi spuddy what was the name of the store in tralee .. im from killarney and would be interested in calling over there

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

donadonie wrote: »
    Hi spuddy what was the name of the store in tralee .. im from killarney and would be interested in calling over there

Hi donadonie,
    The name of the shop is E&D Marine and it's on Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 donadonie

thanks spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydroflyer

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about getting into kayaking for a while now and think its about time i got some gear. Im interested in mostly messing about in the local rivers and surf when i head West. Im looking for some advice on what sort of kayak would be the best at a low budget, or where i could go to look for second hand gear?
    I have a lot of experience when it comes to watersports, and I really would prefer not to join a club. The sea and water is my get away and i dont like the the politics that goes with joining clubs from previous experience with other sports, im sure you can respect that.

I have been looking at pirhana's Daggers and Perception kayaks. Im just not too sure how short or long i should go. I want to do a bit of surfing in it for when there is no wind for kiting and i would also like it long enough so when im doing a bit of distance in the river im not paddling like mad and going backwards:)

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hydroflyer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 waterdogadventu

It might be worth your while having a look at this.

http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Z.One

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydroflyer

thanks waterdog,

Thats pretty much what i have been looking for. the colour is perfect too:)
    Just think im going to start off in the secondhand market for my first kayak and when i get sucked in then il fork out on a brand new one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Hi guys
    I have been kayaking once before (in 6th class lol!!) and absolutely loved it! I think it was while on a trip to LIT or something and it was on the Shannon...thats as much as I remember...
    Anyways I'm in 5th year now and I'm doing my leaving in June and I really want to get into some new hobbies and living in Galway I think that kayaking would be a pretty cool one to take up.
    Just wondering if there are any clubs in the Galway area or if there are any really good websites/forums that teach all the basics as reading through this thread I don't want to go buying something I won't use in 2 years time or something that won't be suitable for where I'll be using it..
    I am only just reading up on this today and I have no clue at all about this stuff so any help is much appreciated!!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Has anyone on here bought a peak uk creeker spraydeck and are they anygood? I bought one online today on sale for €45 and didn't realise it was creeker.... does this matter? I will be using this deck for both creekers and playboats, it's keyhole size. It doesn't have a dry lip but is suposed to be a tight fit on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

yer man! wrote: »
    Has anyone on here bought a peak uk creeker spraydeck and are they anygood? I bought one online today on sale for €45 and didn't realise it was creeker.... does this matter? I will be using this deck for both creekers and playboats, it's keyhole size. It doesn't have a dry lip but is suposed to be a tight fit on the boat.
    it will be fine for most boats no problem. 45 quid is a good deal on it. well done. spraydecks are pretty flexable (no pun intended) in their use. most cockpits are keyhole size compatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Hi, been paddling infrequently for years, but never anything too serious. Been thinking recently that last summer, the surf was lacking and I didn't get on the water hardly at all so looking to buy a kayak now but want something suitable for sea and river (although I've no plans to do major whitewater etc). Also looking for something that will be good for search, and water event support etc. I've narrowed it down to this one but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it?

Also, any recommendations on lifevest? Don't want to go cheapy cheapy but something with a pocket in the front that doesn't cost the earth would be good. And how much should you spend on a decent enough paddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

Whats happening folks, all very useful info, but I was wondering where I could go in the next couple of weeks to Kayak, or at least learn. By the looks of WWKC.net they don't have introduction courses until may?? I may be wrong about this, But I would love to do my training as soon as possible so I can get out there, before I lose interest and it becomes one of those things...."I was going to do one time"

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

bobbaggio wrote: »
    Whats happening folks, all very useful info, but I was wondering where I could go in the next couple of weeks to Kayak, or at least learn. By the looks of WWKC.net they don't have introduction courses until may?? I may be wrong about this, But I would love to do my training as soon as possible so I can get out there, before I lose interest and it becomes one of those things...."I was going to do one time"

Did you see the other thread here?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76314108#post76314108

Might help you find like minded people. Would love to help but the commute to Cork might waste your paddling time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Annunakicoming

Sea kayaking club north Dublin...newbie paddler enquiring here

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Hi there, hope I'm posting in the correct section.
    Basically I done an introductory lesson a few years back but never took it any further and am going to sign up for more lessons and am thinking about buying a 2nd hand kayak. I've been offered a Pyranha Mountain Bat and was hoping someone on here might be able to tell me if it would be suitable mostly for lakes and some river paddling.
    I thinks it's a good few years old but it is a low price and I don't want to spend much until I'm sure I'll stick with it this time.

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 billboy

se conman wrote: »
    If you intend to take up canoeing or kayaking , the very first thing that you need to get is a VERY HEALTY RESPECT FOR WATER.Water can provide endless hours of fun and exercise but if taken for granted , nothing will bite you in the ass as quick.Always think safety and enjoy your paddling.
    completly new to this kayaking but am thinking of buying a second hand Trident Ocean Sit on top fishing kayak. Looks good,stable and affordable at 550 euro. What do you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Hey,

I've been kayaking a handful of times over the years and love it.

I'm in Dublin. Any recommendations on good places to get beginners training and then join a club? I'm not interested in the competitive side of it, just enjoying the kayaking itself and the social side too. I would also prefer to kayak on the sea as opposed to the Liffey, or at least close to the sea. Would love some advice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Well everyone,
    I am based down in Waterford and have done my level 2 last year with pure adventure and then a few lessons after that,
    I then bought a boat and have spent the last while paddling up and down the suir for exercise, I attempted level 3 skills course last weekend and it's clearly evident that I need to spend a hell of a lot more time paddling whitewater in order to improve, I am looking at joining the club in kilkenny ASAP but just wondering are there anyone Waterford based on here that go out on a regular enough basis that that perhaps would have room for one more????

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi the club in Waterford is no longer active as far as I know, there is a club the runs out of WIT during the term months. After that There are clubs in Kilkenny, Clonmel, Graighnamanagh, Thomastown, Tullow.

All have their pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

Hi everyone!
    I have a pair of Rough Stuff Kinetics and I find when I do more powerful water, the paddle shaft slips out of my hand. I was thinking hurling grip or tennis grip for the shaft. What do people use in general?
    • surf wax
    • NRS grip tape (what do you think of this?)
    I'd love peoples opinions and tips please!
    Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 183

Looking to get two Bouyncy aids/ personal floatation devices (whichever the proper term is Idk)..Doing an adventure race this week and need to have one as part of essential kit.. Anyone know where I'd get a cheap or secondhand pair in Dublin. I wont be using it very often..Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

183 wrote: »
    Looking to get two Bouyncy aids/ personal floatation devices (whichever the proper term is Idk)..Doing an adventure race this week and need to have one as part of essential kit.. Anyone know where I'd get a cheap or secondhand pair in Dublin. I wont be using it very often..Any help appreciated. Thanks.

You could do worse than this at 27€

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Rescue_Safety_Buoyancy_Aids_PFDs.79/Beginner___Centre.81/Typhoon.85/TYP-DART-PFD/Typhoon_50N_Dart_Buoyancy_Aid.3072.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 183

Thanks

managed to get a loan from a kayaker in the end, ta for the help though

Folks, silly question here, but.. where do you go with your kayak?

I picked up an inflatable one, got great reviews, etc. as I just wanted to dip the toe in the water (pun intended) and see is it worth bothering with as a hobby. Now that I have the bits needed (paddles, vests) I am trying to figure out where to go.

Ideally wanted to use lakes as they're (presumably) calmer, safer environments, but when I look around the country on google maps, I can find lakes, but can't find an 'entry point' on many, where you could actually drop/walk the kayak in and paddle off into the sunset.

(Kayak is a 3 person one, that'd be just used by myself and girlfriend. She rows regularly with a rowing club and knows her way around the water fairly well, it's me that'd be the beginner, but I wouldn't be comfortable 'launching' from where they operate out of, as it'd be a busy spot).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I picked up an inflatable one, got great reviews, etc.

Hmmmm....be very careful with an inflatable yak. They are highly frowned upon by the Coast Guard and RNLI.

Regarding launching, most lakes in Ireland are accessible from the road and you'll find launch sites by careful examination on Google Maps.

However, be careful on our big lakes (Ennell, Mask, Derg) etc as the weather can turn very nasty, very quickly on them.

Depending where you are in the country (and current travel restrictions) I'd try your nearest canal. No current or unpredictable flows to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

Canal kayaking can be very pleasant and relaxing, if not exactly inspired in the scenery department

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cletus wrote: »
    Canal kayaking can be very pleasant and relaxing, if not exactly inspired in the scenery department

They're not all bad :D

50848946161_38f7fedf10_b.jpg

Agreed. Once you get down beyond Athy and heading towards Carlow and St. Mullins, (I assume that's the neck of the woods you took that picture, iwillhtfu) it can be very scenic.

No so much heading back the opposite direction towards Monasterevin and Robertsown.

This is all only based around the Barrow Line of course

Jaysus lads, it's fierce hard to get a conversation started around here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

yeah it seems to be fairly quiet alright.

Advertisement