Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An orthodontist has changed his mind about my eligibility for Invisalign. WTH?

• 28-08-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there. I'm an adult who has been considering some form of braces for some time now. I have been put off this idea in the past as most orthodontists and dentists I have consulted about it said I could only have conventional braces, due to the severity of my case. i don't like the idea of them tbh as I don't like the idea of having a bunch of wires and so on in my mouth. The state of my teeth as they are drive me to distraction, and a load of foreign objects may not be any better. However, I've been able to tolerate mouthguards (more or less) in the past, which made invisalign sound more attractive.

Anyway, something as confusing as it is relevant happened recently. I went to another orthodontist recently to get his one's opinion - however, even as I was going into this appointment, it hit me that I'd had in fact seen this one a few years before about this exact subject. He, however, did not realise the same, and failed to mention this during the consultation. During this time, he told me that I was in fact a candidate for Invisalign - despite saying the exact opposite the last time I had seen him.

So... what am I to take from this situation? This orthodontist has a reputation for long-term experience in this kind of work, and has apparently been around in this capacity for decades. However, it's hard for me to believe that invisalign tech has progressed to sorting out a bite (which, by the way, is pretty bad and involves 1 front tooth that juts out far further than the rest) it was apparently unequal to just a few years ago. Is it possible that this guy is irresponsible or inscrupulous and is just out for the extra money it costs? Then again, if that is the case, why didn't he just do the same a few years ago?

On that note, am I doing the wrong thing by considering Invisalign over other braces? Which work better in the long term? I have to admit, the idea of having to wear a retainer at night for years does not appeal to me. There is also the issue of Brexit: I'm paranoid that things like orthodontic treatment will get even more expensive after it hits, and that I need to make a decision and lock a price down now. All in all, I'm very confused and some input would help. TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Invisalign is a relatively new method of doing orthodontic treatment compared to convention fixed/removable appliances. As the tech has improved, so has user experience so the orthodontists are able to do more challenging cases using Invisalign.

This is the same in many facets of dentistry, due to advances in implant design and surgical techniques, in some cases we can places implants for patients we couldn’t 5 years ago, due to advances in ceramics we can place crowns/veneers for patients we couldn’t in the past etc.

Discuss your concerns with your orthodontist. In relation to fees, price increases both North and South are a distinct possibility as dental materials and laboratory fees may change as a result of Brexit. A lot of the materials we use come through the UK to Irish distributors and imports from EU/US from manufacturers to UK may have additional duties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

If your original consultation with the orthodontist was at the same practice, he likely has your records on file already.
    Why not have a direct conversation? It doesn't have to be argumentative or confrontational. Literally just- actually, this is our 2nd time meeting, how come I'm now considered a suitable candidate. You have to establish good communication& trust before embarking on treatment. If you're unhappy or suspicious with his explanation, there's your answer.
    All orthodontic patients need to wear retainers after treatment in order to prevent relapse. (Like trying to straighten curly hair; nature keeps wanting to revert to type!)
    Also weigh up experience & reputation, versus the general consensus. Tried and trusted conventional braces may offer the most predictable outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cant even username rn

Hi again,

First off, thanks for the answers :) so I went back to the orthodontist in question and straightened a lot of this out. So, it seems I am now a candidate for Invisalign. I'm also not totally opposed to the price quoted (especially with the tax back!) and may need to lock that down now.

Of course, this being my life it's not all rosy: the ortho also now says I may need extractions, whereas I didn't the last time I spoke to him, which is something I've never particularly wanted to go through :( The ones in question are wisdom teeth that my dentist never had a problem with before when they came in, but apparently they would now impact on the liners working if they're still there. So what now? Do I arrange that with my dentist myself, or does the orthodontist set that up? I had to leave before getting a chance to sort that out 100% :/

Advertisement