Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners painting set!

• 08-06-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I was recently at a painting and prosecco lesson and I was quite impressed with my finished product! Would anyone have any suggestions on brushes/paints I could get that wouldn't break the bank for me to paint a canvas or 2 at home?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lidl often have cheap enough painting kits and various material. Did you have any medium in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Now that I've got a taste for it I'm impatient! We used acrylic paints on a canvas....... I really liked it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Any of the arts and crafts shops, or Reads/Easons, etc would have some cheap sets. I'd say you could try Dealz, too, and then upgrade to better quality paints as you gain confidence. It's a great pastime! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What NewHome said! Don't be tempted to buy a 'set' (ie paints, brushes and canvases etc) of art/craft stuff; often you are paying for packaging etc and something in it will be dubious quality or limited quantitity. Having said that a pack of 'useful colours' of paints can be good value, and the canvases from Lidl etc are fine. Brushes can be expensive, or rubbish, but for acrylics on canvas you do not need exotic brushes, a 'school' or 'student' pack would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I often suggest this company, so often I'm thinking of asking them for commission. But I suggest it because so few remember it. Its a little gem in the city, up a little street, and down a little lane, they are school suppliers too.

https://store.evansartsupplies.ie/

• Advertisement

If it's of any use to you, op, I was in TK Maxx today, and they had a few of these sets at €16.99.

1497347275_117.jpg
    https://www.therange.co.uk/_m3/1/1/1497347275_117.jpg

Advertisement