Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Colleges

• 24-09-2017 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm currently taking a gap year from college while I figure out what I want to do with myself - and to avoid wasting a further 2 years of my grant and accommodation costs. I've already completed 2 years of a level 8 science degree at AIT and I'm really not happy. I've stuck it out for so long convincing myself that it'll get better and more interesting as the course progresses, but I know that this just isn't the course for me. I love science, but I don't want a career in any of the industries my course will set me up for, and I feel physically sick thinking of doing those jobs for the rest of my life.

I really want to do Vet nursing at DKIT, but I don't have enough LC points from doing it in 2015 - i fall short by about 30. I found it incredibly difficult to study enough to achieve high grades in honours subjects that I had no interest in, so just achieved a fairly mediocre LC as a result.

I recently turned 20 years old, so I'm too young to qualify for entry via mature student route either. The course I was doing at AIT has very similar core modules to vet nursing (bio, chemistry, animal husbandry, nutrition, anatomy & phys, etc) so would it be possible to transfer at all? I understand that I can't just jump into 3rd next september, but I wouldn't care about having to go back to 1st year if it meant getting a job that I would actually like at the end of my degree.

or is my only hope for entry via the PLC route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 racingboo

Your best course of action is to contact the college, specifically, get in touch with one of the three people listed as contacts for the vet nursing course on the web page describing the course. Even if you didn't do wildly good in your studies so far, you will likely get at least some credit for modules you've done: it's unlikely you'll be assessed for entry based on your LC results alone, at this stage. However, I'm not in science (I'm a Creative Media graduate) so I'm not 100% sure how it will work in that department.

Either way, I have found DKIT staff to be very helpful and invested in listening to you, and doing what's best for you. Get in touch with them. They may even be willing to let you sit in on a few modules to help you decide if this is the best career for you.

Best of luck.

Edit: and if you have finished some core modules similar, chances are you'd be allowed advanced entry, starting in second year. There is less competition for places by then as usually at least some first years will have dropped out or transferred to other courses. Having completed some modules shows your ability to succeed at tertiary level, so I would wager you have a good chance here. Bottom line - get in touch with them and find out.

Advertisement