Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Music and Audio Production course

• 08-05-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

As far as i know this is a pretty new course and i was looking for some info on what the course is like. Is there a lot of studio time? What are the modules like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

From the timetable it has these modules:

Demo to production Directive

Digital Audio Workstation Practical and Tutorials (Would say this is teaching you Pro Tools, Logic etc)

Audio Signal Processing Practical

Multimedia Project Management

Information and Multimedia

Musicianship for the music producer ( I imagine this is training on a musical instrument, especially useful for non musicians in the course)

I would imagine there would be a good bit of studio time involved, more than the applied music course I'd wager definitely. I see people going into the studio a fair bit. They are the first year modules, this is the first year of the course so they are the only one's up. I'd almost guarantee there will be more studio stuff going on than say Music Technology in Maynooth, it's production not tech after all and will be more practical (less emphasis on CSound and more on Pro Tools). I've talked to the guy in charge of it and he says other colleges are modelling their course on DKIT's one so that's a good sign!

Hope that helps, I don't do the course but wanted to and have a keen interest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody know if there'll be a significant rise (if any) in the number of points you need for this course? it's currently at 200 i think, just wondering could it rise at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Anybody know if there'll be a significant rise (if any) in the number of points you need for this course? it's currently at 200 i think, just wondering could it rise at all. :)

It's a lot higher than 200 at the moment, the points were something like 380 or 385 last year ending up at 355 according to qualifax although not everyone on those points were offered places, there was a big demand.

Can't imagine it going much higher than that again , that's pretty high for a Level 7 course, maybe the same or less, it all depends on the demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zeppelin67

Thanks for the info mate, it was very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 audiob4beauty

I am a current student at DkIT Music and Audio Production.

If you have any questions you can get in touch with me!

http://soundcloud.com/stephaniecaffrey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 adamn_123

I'm looking at DKIT production of music and L.I.T music tech right now but I was hoping to get some feedback from graduates about the course. What did you think of it? Was it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

adamn_123 wrote: »
    I'm looking at DKIT production of music and L.I.T music tech right now but I was hoping to get some feedback from graduates about the course. What did you think of it? Was it worth it?

Only second hand information here but I know someone who has completed it and enjoyed the course, they have subsequently gone on to do another unrelated course though and as such I don't know if they could say if it was worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adamn_123

Only second hand information here but I know someone who has completed it and enjoyed the course, they have subsequently gone on to do another unrelated course though and as such I don't know if they could say if it was worth it or not.
    Would you happen to know if they've managed to get a career out of it.

Advertisement