Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have never ordered a ppv but seriously considering this one. can you record it and start a bit later. im working till 7 so i wont be able to watch till about 8 but i want to start at the beginning of the cards

If on a Sky box, then yep.

Order it.
    Find it on the TV guide and hit record.

You'll probably catch up the hour by the time the main event comes along if you fast forward through all the adverts and breaks in action.

Personally, I'll be keeping away from this forum until BT show it free (at some stage next weekend I imagine)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

€30 over here and £20 in UK. Absolute bullsh*t.

I genuinely don't mind paying for it but the exchange rate has £20 as about €22. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

derfderf wrote: »
    In fairness the reason that Ireland and the UK haven't had to pay for cards previously is because it's on at a **** time. Where it's all ppv, they all cost the same, regardless of the quality.

That’s my point though.

This is the most expensive ppv there has ever been over here. The last one was €25.00

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Pheonix10 wrote: »
    The main card is starting at 7pm is it? What time should the Khabib fight be on?

Weird seeing that question asked and the name "Conor" not being in the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Weird seeing that question asked and the name "Conor" not being in the sentence.

its a brave new and wonderful world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's an absolute rip off for a card that essentially would be a fight night without the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just checked to see if I had this on series record on Sky like the regular UFC events and when it wasn't there I found it it's on Box Office. And it's €30! Can't justify that price. Scandalous. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah I'm really thinking of voting with my feet here and waiting til it goes up on the torrent sites an hour or so after*

*Is how I'd speak if I partook in that illegal type activity. Of which I wouldn't dream of, of course

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

While €30 is steep for the card, PPV costs $60 in the US, just over €50. Its also going to be on around lunchtime in the US because its in Abu Dhabi so while Dana will no doubt say the numbers are great anyways I'd say this card is going to tank big time on PPV and the only thing that can make it stand out at all or any sort of success is an upset by Porier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Honestly €30 is a robbery for this card. There are many other ways to watch it for free, people really should protest this and not purchase it as a point of order. Things will only get worse if a decent amount of PPV's are bought.

Yeah I'm giving it a miss. I do want to see the main event but nothing else on the card would be worth paying extra for IMO so €30 just for the main event is difficult to justify to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The MSG event in November will be far better than this, guess it will be PPV also. Am a big fan of Colby, hope he will be fighting Usman and Nate vs Masvidal is a great co-main. Even if Colby fight isn’t made, the full line up will still be way better than Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any bars in Dublin showing this??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

GiftofGab wrote: »

Id imagine the Woolshed will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    GiftofGab wrote: »

Its def on in the Living Room

http://www.thelivingroom.ie/sports

xtal191 wrote: »
    Its def on in the Living Room

http://www.thelivingroom.ie/sports

Do most popular bars not pay the little extra to show a big boxing ppv event?? Will they not do the same for this?? I was expecting most pubs in my village will show it. Wasn’t thinking I would need to go to the bars that are known for showing big YD type sports or ufc. This event is different because of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    xtal191 wrote: »
    I dunno why but I'm convinced Dustin will win this and we'll have him fight Conor next

Why would Conor get a title shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    mdwexford wrote: »
    In fairness the reason that Ireland and the UK haven't had to pay for cards previously is because it's on at a **** time. Where it's all ppv, they all cost the same, regardless of the quality.

That’s my point though.

This is the most expensive ppv there has ever been over here. The last one was €25.00

I get you. But why wouldn't it be the most expensive one? US have it on at primetime, and it's $60 per event. Every event is the same price in other countries, and the cost is based on the time in each country. It's $45 in oz to watch it on Sunday morning.
    I'm not arguing you should pay for ppv at 4am, but for a card starting at 7pm it makes perfect sense.
    I actually have to check if they're charging full price for this event here since it's a 4am start.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    I get you. But why wouldn't it be the most expensive one? US have it on at primetime, and it's $60 per event. Every event is the same price in other countries, and the cost is based on the time in each country. It's $45 in oz to watch it on Sunday morning.
    I'm not arguing you should pay for ppv at 4am, but for a card starting at 7pm it makes perfect sense.
    I actually have to check if they're charging full price for this event here since it's a 4am start.

UK prime time (Boxing) PPV have always been £20/€25.
    Tyson v Wilder was £20/€25
    The last UFC PPV was £20/€25

This event is £20/€30

The price has been hiked in Ireland only. That’s why people are complaining. If anything the € has strengthen relative to the £. So it should be €22.99.
    It’s like they adjusted for Brexit but got it backwards.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    [

This event is £20/€30

The price has been hiked in Ireland only. That’s why people are complaining. If anything the € has strengthen relative to the £. So it should be €22.99.

The ppvs are quite expensive either way, but i was mostly comparing it to the previous one. If a ppv on at 4am is €25, why wouldn't this one be more expensive?
    I get the card isn't as good, but the ufc are hardly going to admit it's a bit crap and lower it.

If you boycotted everything that was more expensive in Ireland than the UK you'd be doing a lot of boycotting.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Also i just checked on the playstation store. It's still the same price as any other event, despite being on at 4am. Now that's a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    The ppvs are quite expensive either way, but i was mostly comparing it to the previous one. If a ppv on at 4am is €25, why wouldn't this one be more expensive?
    Why would it be more expensive?
    The prices are the same as all other events in UK, US, Aus, etc. Standard pricing makes business sense.

The better time slot argument make no sense as the UK are in the same time one.
    I get the card isn't as good, but the ufc are hardly going to admit it's a bit crap and lower it.
    I’m not saying they should lower it.
    If you boycotted everything that was more expensive in Ireland than the UK you'd be doing a lot of boycotting.
    Again, it’s not that it costs more. The last event cost more. It’s the fact they increased it further, to Irish customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Does any packages show this card free or is it ppv across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    €30 is nasty expensive for what is essentially 2 or 3 hours of live tv.

I could justify a tenner for a stacked Conor card on at a normal time. But yikes. €30 in tv terms is a lot. Could get a month of Sky Sports or a few months of Netflix/Amazon Prime for the same amount.

Will have to call Captain Jack Sparrow later to see if he is around for a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »

This event is £20/€30

I agree. Also the point that Tyson is the name brand selling that PPV in the UK and Ireland market. You can't just have a random title fight on and hope that it sells big.

The UFC put on PPV's every single month. There simply isn't the market here for that (even if times were adjusted to suit here).

€30 extra onto what is allready very large monthly subscription cost, for an event that really only has 1 fight of interest. This fight may only last couple of mins. Also there hasn’t been any controversy in the run up to it making for extra excitement while waiting to watch, like there was in ufc 229.
    I do want to see it, and will go to pub in village and spend about €30 on pints. Will check in advance if they gonna show it.
    But in general I would only buy a ppv if Conor fighting, or an event like msg where there is 3 or 4 big interesting fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Khabib Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I’m only watching it because of the time zone novelty.

And because I’m on a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Anyone getting the message stay tuned, event not started on streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

$60 for the yanks to watch. They always get ripped off.

This will do more money then Mcgregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

If I wasn't working so early in the morning I'd happily have spent 30 or 40 quid enjoying a fair whack of pints in a bar showing the whole card.

Advertisement