Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-05-2020, 09:35   #466
mindhorn

That's great, thanks a lot Hermy.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 17:52   #467
kanadams123

I think my great-grandfather possibly lied on the 1901 census by not including his wife and calling himself a Widow.

One of my biggest brick walls was trying to find my great-grandmothers death record. Because my great grand father was listed as a "Widower" in the 1901 census I have only searched prior to 1901 before for her death.
I have however found a death in 1917 which I am confident is her, and if so, then I have found that the 1911 census I had previously disregarded due to her being present, is also most likely them (along with another great-aunt I was not aware of!).

I must try and confirm this with other records however before I jump to conclusions!

Has anyone else come across someone lying about being a Widow/Widower before?

(He did not re-marry someone with the same first name btw, I have checked this out also!!)
26-05-2020, 19:25   #468
srmf5

I don't recall ever seeing it in a census record. I've only seen it on death records where the marital status was recorded incorrectly.
Thanks from:
26-05-2020, 19:36   #469
pinkypinky

Oliver St John Gogarty famously said he was single on his census return but was married.

Seriously though, is it possible someone else filled out the form?

One of my gg-grandfathers was in London for 1911 and is recorded as single aged 40 when he was a married 51 grandfather. I reckon he wasn't there - he was an upstanding citizen and public figre so very unlikely to be lying and could easily have been caught out.
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 01:05   #470
Hermy

I meant to post earlier but the new series of A House Through Time began on BBC2 earlier tonight.

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous series so I'm glad to say tonight's episode continued in a similar vain.

Did anyone else watch it and what did ye think?
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 10:13   #471
pinkypinky

Thought it was vg. He is still very pretty too.

I'd love to know how many houses they research to find the right one - do people submit their houses knowing there's already a good story?

There's a book accompanying this series so maybe that would provide insight.
27-05-2020, 10:43   #472
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
He is still very pretty too.
That's an outrageous statement to make!

Quote:
I'd love to know how many houses they research to find the right one - do people submit their houses knowing there's already a good story?
Yes, they certainly seem to have landed on their feet with this one in the manner that they've been able to tell the story right from the houses construction and likely through to the present day without missing an occupancy.
27-05-2020, 11:12   #473
Earnest

Yes, an excellent programme. And a reminder that when we do genealogy, we may not agree with our ancestors' behaviour.
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 11:43   #474
spurious
Category Moderator

He has a voice like chocolate, chocolate that is doing terrible things to someone.

Using the lockdown here to write a little history of our street for the neighbours, using mostly newspaper extracts, but a few BMDs too. Only 9 houses, built 1881.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2020, 11:24   #475
KildareFan

<Using the lockdown here to write a little history of our street for the neighbours, using mostly newspaper extracts, but a few BMDs too. Only 9 houses, built 1881.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I live in a row of five houses built in 2000 and no one has moved out since then, so we all know the history too well!
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2020, 20:47   #476
Hermy

Just a reminder that A House Through Time is on at nine.
09-06-2020, 21:53   #477
pinkypinky

I have it recorded but may not get to it this evening.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 14:24   #478
Rmulvany

Well, did anyone else attend the 13:00 Beyond2022 zoom presentation?
I thought it was good, some bits I had heard before but it's always good to hear the researchers/conservationists become more and more confident that they can get useful documents from the remains of the lost Four Courts documents.

Also promising what was mentioned at the end regarding the genealogy side of things.
A question was raised asking if anything of interest has been found which would interest family historians etc (probing for census answers I imagine) and the response was along the line of with regards census records, although so much was lost in the fire so don't get your hopes up they have some really exciting discoveries to come so watch this space!
30-06-2020, 15:49   #479
pinkypinky

I wasn't able to attend the lunch one but going to tune in for the panel later.

I asked them on twitter if they were recording them but didn't get a response.
30-06-2020, 19:48   #480
Rmulvany

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I wasn't able to attend the lunch one but going to tune in for the panel later.

I asked them on twitter if they were recording them but didn't get a response.
Apparently they will be emailing out a link to the recordings tomorrow, may only be able to view the videos you had registered to attend.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion