Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I noticed it was down for maintenance the other night - that explains why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Just noticing (maybe it's not new) that GedMatch have refreshed their appearance, looks a lot more modern.
    Classic look is still available, I wonder what their plans are for the future?

The business owner was bought out some months ago. Apparently classic will continue to be free (for how long?); the rest will be behind a paywall and will have/has new/better tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

In light of the current debacle with the HSE, it is no surprise. Posted HERE some time ago in relation to genealogy and IT
    What is wrong with ‘officialdom’ and basic IT/customer service?…………..Of the (about) 50,000 computers in the HSE, about 40,000 are dependent on old software and 12,000 of those cannot be replaced because they are needed to run radiology and other systems that cannot run on newer software.
    Just shows it was an accident waiting to happen. Were the HSE a bank or insurer, it would be fined millions!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

In the last week I have found four '2nd-3rd cousin' matches to my grandmother in Ancestry. I'm considering this a breakthrough as they are from the Brick Wall side of the family.
    They are American-Irish and I've been trying to trace back to their Irish grandparents using census records and what Ancestry throws up.
    It definitely makes me appreciated how accessible Irish civil records are.
    Is there a good site similar to IrishGenealogy for US records?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Is there a good site similar to IrishGenealogy for US records?

There isn't even a single site for US records - its all state by state and even county by county; some utterly unavailable, some free and even up newer than the Irish ones.

Ancestry has most of the easily available ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Forum search is your friend:

Introduction to US Genealogy - albeit a little out of date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

I caught a few minutes of Britain's Biggest Dig on BBC2 last night and thought it was a new series but see that it actually aired last year. Any use?

Oh I enjoyed that - about the cemetery they're moving.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You know those days where you wish we had early access to the 1925 census? Having one of those right now.

I've never used rootsireland before as I never felt the need to with the other subs and access to irishgenealogy.ie but have a question now that I've stumbled across a screenshot from there.

Is this some of the additional information you can get from rootsireland? Having access to the details of the bridge and groom's mother would nearly tempt me to splash out on a sub. Also, where is that info coming from if it's not available on irishgenealogy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Generally I've found RootsIreland poor value if you have access to other data bases. There's no link to images so you can't check transcriptions or missing data. There are errors in transcription and not all data was picked up especially in the early days.

I transcribed some information from Church of Ireland records in the RCB in Bremor Road a few years ago; RootsIreland put out a set of transcriptions a year later & I paid to check what they had - there were a lot of discrepancies between my transcriptions and Roots & without an image it's impossible to check.

I find Rootsireland is mixed - because many different organisations were involved in the transcription work.

I use it a lot in my professional work with the FMP version as a back-up.

Being able to search civil records where they have them by parents is a great boon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So is having a record of both parents the norm for the records there? I know you both doubt the accuracy of the transciption work but the one example I came across has a mother's name which corresponds to my records. I've held off on adding it to my tree for the moment as I was hoping to see the source data for this. But I presume I can take it that if it matches on my end then it's most likely okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

mindhorn wrote: »
    So is having a record of both parents the norm for the records there? I know you both doubt the accuracy of the transciption work but the one example I came across has a mother's name which corresponds to my records. I've held off on adding it to my tree for the moment as I was hoping to see the source data for this. But I presume I can take it that if it matches on my end then it's most likely okay?

Roots Ireland, like all similar services can only transcribe the details which are recorded on the original record.
    If a priest only recorded a baptism with the date, perhaps vague, the child name, parents names and sponsor's names, that's all you can get
    Everything else is a bonus, such as townland or street address, mother's maiden name, or any notes such as the later addition of marriage.

Thanks all. Safe to say that the mother's maiden name is correct. I think I'll make a list of any records I'm missing and go wild and spend the 15 quid on a day sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

mindhorn wrote: »

Depends on what the record is. If the baptism is in a Catholic church it would be better to check the registers online at https://registers.nli.ie/ - the registers on the NLI site go up the the 1880s, while the Roots transcriptions in some parishes go up to the early 1900s.

Dublin, Cork & Kerry baptisms are on Irishgenealogy.ie which may be worth checking out.

It's a church marriage record. I have a copy of the marriage cert but this is the first I'm seeing a mention of the mother's maiden name.

No reason to doubt it then - if the church is habitually recording the women's names. A civil cert won't have a mother's name on it before 1956.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Went all out and spent 15 quid on a 24 hour sub. Can't say I'm impressed with the site to be honest. Cross checking some of the records I have and seeing if there's some info I'm missing about witnesses present, but I'm not evening finding the records I already have from irishgenealogy.

So I'm not going to get a whole lot of use out of it but if someone would like me to search something on their behalf drop me a PM.

The Genealogy Show is on this weekend with a variety of talks (including one by me!)

I'm going to host a Zoom party on Saturday night. If any of our regulars here would like to join, please send me a PM.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The Genealogy Show is on this weekend with a variety of talks (including one by me!)

I'm going to host a Zoom party on Saturday night. If any of our regulars here would like to join, please send me a PM.

Lots of very interesting speakers and topics - timing looks a bit weird though as many of the presentations seem to be in the early hours of the morning. Is this an error?

No, it's to cater to the world audience. Once a talk airs, it is then available on demand for a month.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

No, it's to cater to the world audience. Once a talk airs, it is then available on demand for a month.

OK thanks, I didn't realise it was a global event.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone looked up WWII era British honours? My mother thinks that a relation got an MBE during WWII but I suspect it was a BEM (British Empire Medal) if even.

Quick search of the London Gazette brings up nothing in either maiden or married name but they often used full names for that type of entry and I need to re-find the birth cert to check what her middle names were!

edit: forgot her middle name is totally illegible, off to that thread... will be an OCR nightmare if its what I think it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone looked up WWII era British honours? My mother thinks that a relation got an MBE during WWII but I suspect it was a BEM (British Empire Medal) if even.

Quick search of the London Gazette brings up nothing in either maiden or married name but they often used full names for that type of entry and I need to re-find the birth cert to check what her middle names were!

edit: forgot her middle name is totally illegible, off to that thread... will be an OCR nightmare if its what I think it may be.

The London Gazette used be much easier to search years ago. I seldom find what I'm looking for now.

Trying to spend some time on the lesser know side of my tree, the family of my 3xG-Grandmother Judith/Judy Hartneady.
    Her husband is William Brady

I'm going through whatever records I have for mentions of other Hartneadys or Bradys (sponsors, witnesses etc)

I have the following baptism in Kilnoe Clare:
    Jan 1839
    24th:
    William, William Brady, Judy Hartneady
    S: Owen Brady, Judy Hartneady, Ballinahinch

My main Q is who is the Judy who is sponsoring?
    Surely it can't be the child's mother...
    Could it be the child's grandmother? If so, could Owen be his Grandfather?
    Could it, by chance, be the child's aunt by marriage (taking the married name Hartneady)

I tend not to look at sponsors or witnesses for clues as they could be anyone!
    But I appreciate any input :)
    Are there any traditions for RC sponsors, parents, siblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Where can you sign up for the on-demand talks? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

To answer the Q about a sponsor.... they tend to be close friend or family and of same age as parents such as a brother /sister. They are meant to take over the care of the child in this world should their parent(s) die so not just overview their spiritual welfare. For a firstborn, it is traditional that the witnesses to the marriage act as Godparents/sponsors.

Garlinge wrote: »
    To answer the Q about a sponsor.... they tend to be close friend or family and of same age as parents such as a brother /sister. They are meant to take over the care of the child in this world should their parent(s) die so not just overview their spiritual welfare. For a firstborn, it is traditional that the witnesses to the marriage act as Godparents/sponsors.

Thanks, I'll keep looking through with this in mind

• Advertisement

Where can you sign up for the on-demand talks? Thanks.

www.thegenealogyshowlive.com

£15 to access the talks for a month now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement