Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Symbols # ooo & - Catholic Births circa 1800

• 20-06-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Sorry if asked before , I'm looking at Carrigeen Mooncoin Baptisms 1790s, South Co Kilkenny (microfilms) , the symbols of # (sometimes only one horizontal) ooo and - or "bastard" appear under child's name in 1st column . Could I have read "vagabond" beside a ooo symbol?
    What do the symbols mean?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Give us a link please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pjq wrote: »
    What do the symbols mean?

Yes, link please.

Hard to comment on symbols without seeing them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Sorry , I thought that they might be standard, and I was being lazy. https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000635313_098?print=true . April 9th has a ooo and again on page 100 .

I've never seen them before.

There's a H symbol, then a # (which is a H with an extra cross) and the OOO.
    Some names have none of these but are underlined.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Would it ever be short hand for the identity of the priest who carried out the ceremony?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or payment - ever prominent in the minds of the clergy.

spurious wrote: »
    Or payment - ever prominent in the minds of the clergy.

That's a better idea.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it is definitely worth calling the church in question and asking if they've deciphered it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Now that I know that it's not a silly question, I'll ask locally. I'll update if I get answers.

Yes, It's about the dues , see Dunphy Dec 4th 1784 https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635313#page/22/mode/1up BTW Kilmacow is a neighbouring parish.

• Advertisement

Supplementary question , https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635313#page/12/mode/1up shortly after this page Mooncoin records changed to English . Each record previously mentioned "Guliclimus Fitzpatrick pastor de Rathkyran" , Rathkieran (Mooncoin) has a church ruin . There is a record of a Geoffry Fitzpatrick CC Mooncoin 1806-1818 at mooncoinhistory.ie .

What can anyone tell me about the language he uses, it's not the Latin that I learned?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

pjq wrote: »
    Supplementary question , https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635313#page/12/mode/1up shortly after this page Mooncoin records changed to English . Each record previously mentioned "Guliclimus Fitzpatrick pastor de Rathkyran" , Rathkieran (Mooncoin) has a church ruin . There is a record of a Geoffry Fitzpatrick CC Mooncoin 1806-1818 at mooncoinhistory.ie .

What can anyone tell me about the language he uses, it's not the Latin that I learned?

It is Latin

Advertisement