Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-05-2020, 19:52   #121
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgal23 View Post
But maybe the Unionist politicians know this and want to keep them stupid?
No not mainstream DUP they're in the man relaising that a UI is happening, and will be onboard of course and will have a huge say into what type of future the 6 counties has,
Unfortunately there's loopers on all sides, I predict no United Ireland for at least, 30 plus years, at that stage those holding up reconciliation on all sides will be well gone

Last edited by corks finest; 13-05-2020 at 19:57.
Advertisement
13-05-2020, 22:02   #122
BloodyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
This explains a lot,one of his posts I copied and pasted,

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23
Why would you copy one of my posts. Why go to the bother.? Its creepy. You're a Republican, I'm not. You dont go and try and win over the audience. I guarantee you the majority on here agree with you. Your facts wouldnt be my facts though. I think the armed Republican movement was a disaster and achieved diddly squat
13-05-2020, 23:06   #123
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBill View Post
Why would you copy one of my posts. Why go to the bother.? Its creepy. You're a Republican, I'm not. You dont go and try and win over the audience. I guarantee you the majority on here agree with you. Your facts wouldnt be my facts though. I think the armed Republican movement was a disaster and achieved diddly squat
I'm not arguing or looking for likes ,we each are entitled to our own opinion some from reading books , others from experience , cant all be on the same wavelength, and just let's agree to disagree?
I like boards and enjoy reading different posts each day, don't want to upset anyone as I'm sure you're the same
Religion and politics always causes a stir, so let's leave it at that, no need to fall out.
(3) thanks from:
16-05-2020, 00:45   #124
whisky_galore

Better suited to AH, these kinds of tiresome threads generate more heat than light.
Thanks from:
16-05-2020, 08:15   #125
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Better suited to AH, these kinds of tiresome threads generate more heat than light.
If you consider"tiresome" I despair, talking about an Irishman who made the supreme sacrifice for his beliefs,were the 1916 executions, Terrence Mcswiney s death's etc also "tiresome,"?
It's part of our history and anyone irrespective of their politics who purposely gave their life fire a political goal) belief deserves to be remembered,,,,,,,,,,,not be hidden
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-05-2020, 08:17   #126
corks finest

Quote:
Well go to the AH threads then
16-05-2020, 09:03   #127
corks finest

Quote:
Hard to generate light on a sombre, serious part of our history,I suggest,but yes it brings passion to the surface as it's complex,but personally I felt Bobby Sands needed to be remembered,not conveniently forgotten about , guy
16-05-2020, 19:24   #128
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Hard to generate light on a sombre, serious part of our history,I suggest,but yes it brings passion to the surface as it's complex,but personally I felt Bobby Sands needed to be remembered,not conveniently forgotten about , guy
No problem with remembering him the same way we will remember Billy Wright Dominic McGlinchey and all the other gangsters
16-05-2020, 21:12   #129
Fuascailteoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
No problem with remembering him the same way we will remember Billy Wright Dominic McGlinchey and all the other gangsters
That is throwing your lot in with Maggie's failed 1970s policies. A lot of people moved on including Thatcher herself
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2020, 11:39   #130
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuascailteoir View Post
That is throwing your lot in with Maggie's failed 1970s policies. A lot of people moved on including Thatcher herself
Dont worry we will remember Maggies pals in the Paras, Black Watch etc also. There was scum on both sides
17-05-2020, 16:11   #131
antgal23

Quote:
Billy Wright! W da F would we remember him?
Thanks from:
17-05-2020, 19:47   #132
Edgware

Quote:
Billy Wright! W da F would we remember him?
Remember not commemorate. Same applies to Sands and co
17-05-2020, 20:06   #133
antgal23

Quote:
Remember not commemorate. Same applies to Sands and co
Personal choice

I remember what Wright did as I lived in the area

I'll commemorate Bobby Sands for what he believed in
(2) thanks from:
17-05-2020, 22:14   #134
Edgware

Quote:
Personal choice

Off with you but any dirtbird who plants bombs has done nothing worth commemorating
18-05-2020, 10:14   #135
corks finest

Quote:
Personal choice

As I always will, and not forgetting Martin Hurson and Patsy O'Hara's anniversaries soon
Thanks from:
Thread Closed