Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

£128: Makita DHP481Z 18 V LXT Li-ion Brushless Combi Hammer Drill

• 26-06-2020 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I've been keeping an eye out for this highly regarded drill for the last year but as it's a fairly old model (6 years old) it has only been available from scalpers for £160+

I noticed it appeared on Amazon for pre-order for £128 (without battery. Batteries cost £30-50)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NIEJAFQ/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

This is a heavy duty drill, so wouldn't recommend for ikea furniture and the likes...

Here's a review:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Link says it’s £185 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

vicwatson wrote: »
    Link says it’s £185 ?
    sugarman wrote: »
    From a 3rd party seller, select Amazon and its £128.

Yes, sorry should have been more clear. You have to select the link for "New and Used" and it's available from Amazon themselves for 128. I rarely buy from 3rd parties on Amazon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im in the market for something like this. How does it stack up to other in its class? it says no stock, when is it likely to have stock in?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

How do I order batteries for this? Amazon doesn't deliver batteries to ROI nor NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

p4xel wrote: »
    How do I order batteries for this? Amazon doesn't deliver batteries to ROI nor NI.

AddressPal

• Advertisement

Im in the market for something like this. How does it stack up to other in its class? it says no stock, when is it likely to have stock in?

More or less as good as it's bosch and DeWalt equivalents. I think it's worth paying more for the brushless models, they seem to have much better longevity in terms of keeping cool during heavy use and also in overall lifespan. These are real wrist-breakers though is the only thing :)

A good side by side by these two eejits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUscFyTacS0

With regard to when it will be back in stock, I do not know. Amazon are usually fairly quick, often getting things in long before the estimated time (once they give one). The money won't be withdrawn until shipped and you can cancel anytime so nothing to lose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

jamesd wrote: »
    AddressPal

According to T&C lithium Ion batteries are prohibited

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-Guide/Prohibited-Items#prohibited-items

p4xel wrote: »

Worked for me with Addresspal on two separate occasions without any issues.

Ive ordered the drill. SO where is the best place to pick up a battery? amazon? Anywhere in Ireland stock the battery? Thanks for the alert OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Best deals are in the UK. Make sure you buy genuine makita packs as there are loads of crap fakes on ebay.

• Advertisement

Ive ordered the drill. SO where is the best place to pick up a battery? amazon? Anywhere in Ireland stock the battery? Thanks for the alert OP
    T-Maxx wrote: »
    Best deals are in the UK. Make sure you buy genuine makita packs as there are loads of crap fakes on ebay.

Yes, I agree with T-Maxx. I think the 5Ah batteries are incredible. I put up a 100m fence and half a shed roof in two days with my impact driver and the battery was still half full.

If you are in no rush it's worth putting a camelcamelcamel alert on the makita batteries as they often drop nicely in price. I think I paid about £50 for a 5Ah on Amazon with addresspal shipping. The 3 and 4Ah are more than enough for the occasional user.

I've cancelled for now. I didn't realise how much th price shot up when you included batteries and a charger:o

It looks a proper bit of kit and I'm only an occasion user. I recently discovered I could do with an impact driver also so I'll keep searching for a deal.

I've cancelled for now. I didn't realise how much th price shot up when you included batteries and a charger:o

It looks a proper bit of kit and I'm only an occasion user. I recently discovered I could do with an impact driver also so I'll keep searching for a deal.

Yes, impact drivers are more than enough for most tasks. I always get stuck with my cheap old black and decker when I need to drill holes in walls or for screws that the impact driver would strip. The B&D just doesn't have enough torque. I had my eye on this Makita for a long time because I already have all the peripherals that go with it.

Also as it is 6 years old it could be discontinued any time and the newer models are bad...

After giving it some thought I bought this drill in the end. The battery and charger arrived so im just waiting on the drill now.

After giving it some thought I bought this drill in the end. The battery and charger arrived so im just waiting on the drill now.

I got mine last week. It is built like a tank. Gone out of stock again.

Don't forget to register it on the makita website for it's three year warranty. If there is any issue with the drill they pretty much replace everything but the shell.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I got mine last week. It is built like a tank. Gone out of stock again.

Don't forget to register it on the makita website for it's three year warranty. If there is any issue with the drill they pretty much replace everything but the shell.

Did they send an email alert to say they had it in stock first or did it just arrive?

Did they send an email alert to say they had it in stock first or did it just arrive?

Ordered 25th June, got dispatch notification 1st July, arrived 3rd July. I have prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Ordered 25th June, got dispatch notification 1st July, arrived 3rd July. I have prime.

I ordered on the 26th and received a cancellation email this morning. I'll be refunded within 5-7 business days.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I ordered on the 26th and received a cancellation email this morning. I'll be refunded within 5-7 business days.

Same. I ended up ordering the one for £155

Drill arrived today. feels so solid. delighted with it. I have read the instructions but im still at a loss on how to use the chuck to fit a drill bit. I dont want to force anything and break it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have an old Makita and I generally just put the bit in and hold the Chuck firmly with my left hand and pull the trigger gently till it locks up.

Drill arrived today. feels so solid. delighted with it. I have read the instructions but im still at a loss on how to use the chuck to fit a drill bit. I dont want to force anything and break it.

I wouldn't worry about breaking it. Took me a while to figure this out myself. If you look closely at the base of the chuck there is a lock/unlock symbol if you twist it in the unlock directions it should click and then the grips will move in and out freely. I like the lock mechanism as it stops the bits from coming loose.

Advertisement