Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recession predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Jeees, Id say you're the fun one at a party.
    I would say he’s the truthful one at the party

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

brisan wrote: »
    I would say he’s the truthful one at the party

Remember Bertie?

Remember Bertie?
    Considering Bertie was Charlie's apprentice I doubt anyone ever believed Bertie to be truthful

Retail Stores and fast food restaurants are going to treat the market audience here more than ever before like children in their advertising campaigns.

Macdonalds are a shining example here: Just watch their TV ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭combat14

I am convinced that we will see massive redundancies when the Covid payments end. It will be scary.
    I already know a few companies that are waiting to pull the trigger.

job losses and lots of pay cuts too
    all before the green party taxes kick In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 fgordonie

There is an article on nielson.com that really concerns me from a company that makes its living from "forecasting" future customer sentiment.
    scenarios-beyond-covid-19-rebound-reboot-reinvent

Horizion 3 is very concerning to me, we're 3 months away from it.

50% of my business is gone so I'm in Horizion 2 "Reliant on essentials" since the beginning of June.

If the car breaks down or needs a major service I'll have to get rid of it that'll put me into Horizion 3 "Survive on absolute basics", i.e. can I pay the rent and buy enough to eat?

The split between those who will get through the economic impact un-affected and those that will be impoverished is particularly interesting.

Airbus chop 15000 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Airbus chop 15000 jobs.

I wonder were some of them coming anyway due to the end of production of the a380

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

No 2nd wave is crucial to the economic recovery.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-faces-deep-downturn-this-year-and-may-not-rebound-until-2024-if-there-is-a-second-wave-1.4294913
    Ireland faces 'deep downturn' this year and may not rebound until 2024 if there is a second wave.

This warning is based on the worst-case scenario laid out in the Central Bank’s latest quarterly analysis of the economy. This scenario assumes the strict lockdown period has a more damaging impact on economic activity and that there is a resurgence of coronavirus at some point over the next year, with the economy contracting by nearly 14 per cent for 2020 and the Government’s budget deficit ballooning to €30 billion.

In a more benign scenario, the Central Bank predicts that the economy could rebound by 2022, provided there is a gradual reopening of the economy this year and no resurgence of coronavirus.

No 2nd wave is crucial to the economic recovery.

PRAY that there isn't a 2nd wave.

Hard to convince many "Koolkidz" though:

I was snarked at by another goon my age for wearing a "gas mask" ( it is an N95, good sir) in the Square Tallaght the other day.

• Advertisement

PRAY that there isn't a 2nd wave.

Hard to convince many "Koolkidz" though:

I was snarked at by another goon my age for wearing a "gas mask" ( it is an N95, good sir) in the Square Tallaght the other day.

2nd wave more than likely as most pandemics have had them in the past, and with a reopening of the economy, many not wearing masks and not taking the necessary safety measures, its best to prepare for it, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

combat14 wrote: »
    all before the green party taxes kick In

The planned increase in tax on petrol is 17 cent per litre, by 2030.

So maybe an extra 2 cent per litre per year.

Geuze wrote: »

fcuk sake, im gonna be starving for those years, i guess im gonna have to drink petrol instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Geuze wrote: »

Very low. Wouldn't even be noticed as there is greater variation between fuel stations. Too low actually as prices have dropped since the crisis by near 30 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

saabsaab wrote: »
    Very low. Wouldn't even be noticed as there is greater variation between fuel stations. Too low actually as prices have dropped since the crisis by near 30 cent.

Yes, it is low.

Then why are people constantly referring to "Green Party higher taxes"?

Do the GP plan to increase other taxes?

I haven't read the PfG in full, yet.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2020/06/draft-programme-for-govt.pdf

I think most people will notice an extra 15% on top of the rise when oil goes back up

the consumer wont be fooled by "low" green taxes when they have to dip their hand in their pockets

I think most people will notice an extra 15% on top of the rise when oil goes back up

the consumer wont be fooled by "low" green taxes when they have to dip their hand in their pockets

That's the point of it to decrease the usage and encourage the take up of alternatives.

That's the point of it to decrease the usage and encourage the take up of alternatives.

why would we want to stifle usage the economy is absolutely reeling at the moment and no body can afford the 45000 Volkswagen ecar alternatives..

why would we want to stifle usage the economy is absolutely reeling at the moment and no body can afford the 45000 Volkswagen ecar alternatives..

Alternatives are more that VW ecars and a few cent on fossil fuels won't stifle the economy. It may even help the economy by using local renewable alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

There are so many businesses in Ireland currently on life support due to a number of subsidies at present:-

- Wages subsidy scheme
    - Deferred rental
    - stay on evictions
    - warehousing of revenue payment
    - loan moratoriums
    - creditors payment plans

All of the above will come to an end, staring in September/October. Some businesses will be kept going on the basis that Christmas is usually a bumper month in terms of Revenue so bank/suppliers/landlords will gamble on that just in case it is enough to help some businesses get over the worst of it.

Realistically many businesses won't open after Christmas with further casualties as the year goes on. The cash reserves some businesses have will also be reducing over this time too.

A second wave may accelerate this but next year is when we will see the real damage I think. As the first tranche of businesses fail, there will be knock on effects to their suppliers, landlords etc and depending on the amount of businesses failing in 2021, the knock on effects will last well into 2022 which could be even worse.

This will also be compounded by some of the advantages businesses have gained from work from home - more automated processes will reduce staff, reduced numbers of staff in office etc. This will have a negative effect on transport services, petrol stations etc due to reductions in commuters. There will also be reduced footfall in shops, cafes etc if there are less staff in offices.

We are also looking at increased taxes at some stage as all the borrowing has to be paid back.

Unlike the last recession, where people could move country or change sector, there are less options available to people which makes me think this will be a deeper recession than last time.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭wassie

I tend to concur.

My hope is, and I feel I will be disappointed, is that the Government has a real once in a generation opportunity to invest in the infrastructure of this country funded by the ECB at next to nothing. Will be interesting to see what kind of stimulus they commit to.

There are so many businesses in Ireland currently on life support due to a number of subsidies at present:-

- Wages subsidy scheme
    - Deferred rental
    - stay on evictions
    - loan moratoriums

All of the above will come to an end, staring in September/October. Some businesses will be kept going on the basis that Christmas is usually a bumper month in terms of Revenue so bank/suppliers/landlords will gamble on that just in case it is enough to help some businesses get over the worst of it.

Realistically many businesses won't open after Christmas with further casualties as the year goes on. The cash reserves some businesses have will also be reducing over this time too.

A second wave may accelerate this but next year is when we will see the real damage I think. As the first tranche of businesses fail, there will be knock on effects to their suppliers, landlords etc and depending on the amount of businesses failing in 2021, the knock on effects will last well into 2022 which could be even worse.

This will also be compounded by some of the advantages businesses have gained from work from home - more automated processes will reduce staff, reduced numbers of staff in office etc. This will have a negative effect on transport services, petrol stations etc due to reductions in commuters. There will also be reduced footfall in shops, cafes etc if there are less staff in offices.

We are also looking at increased taxes at some stage as all the borrowing has to be paid back.

Unlike the last recession, where people could move country or change sector, there are less options available to people which makes me think this will be a deeper recession than last time.

Reality is a bitch huh...

I agree with everything you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Agree with the main thrust of what you say, but on this point, government finances don't operate like household/business finances - Public Debt is typically eroded away by GDP growth (which increases our tax base) over time - and pursuing a policy of holding back GDP growth from its maximum potential (through budget-balancing/austerity), just makes this harder and is bad economics.

Alternatives are more that VW ecars and a few cent on fossil fuels won't stifle the economy. It may even help the economy by using local renewable alternatives.

15% extra on every journey is more than a few cent
    what are the local renewable alternatives for getting from A to B
    think this is on the wrong thread perhaps

15% extra on every journey is more than a few cent
    what are the local renewable alternatives for getting from A to B
    think this is on the wrong thread perhaps

Depends on the A to B involved. Could be bike, walk or public transport (I know it isn't suitable for everyone but there will always be some who lose out). For many it would be a few euro extra, for a few a lot more but would promote other ways to travel or not. Needs to hurt the pocket to work.

- Wages subsidy scheme
    - Deferred rental
    - stay on evictions
    - loan moratoriums

Judging by the rate of jobs losses being announced daily in Britain I would say you are being optimistic if anything when forecasting how things will play out here.
    I can see things going rapidly downhill from Sept. onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

brisan wrote: »
    Judging by the rate of jobs losses being announced daily in Britain I would say you are being optimistic if anything when forecasting how things will play out here.
    I can see things going rapidly downhill from Sept. onwards

September will be very bad for the stock markets. It will be like September 2008 when Lehman Brothers went under. The whole financial system needs to be recreated. Money printing has reinflated the bursted bubbles of the last recession. That’s not going to work this time and we are heading for prolonged bleak times all around the world until a new global financial system is created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

When is this stimulus plan being announced & can we expect real vision in it?
    Or will we just get an extended version of a yearly budget announcement where everyone gets a €5er and the measures have no impact at all?

I've been extremely vociferous in my dislike if Sinn Fein on boards but if the Government dont show some vision, the ability to comprehend the concept of investing & a willingness to tackle our social welfare issues once & for all - they are goosed and SF will canter elections for the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The Plan for Government explicitly agreed to budget-balancing i.e. austerity in ~2 years when FG takes the helm - so we basically have a government of fiscal conservatives, so I'd expect any non-coronavirus-emergency 'stimulus' to be tiny in the first 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

KyussB wrote: »
    The Plan for Government explicitly agreed to budget-balancing i.e. austerity in ~2 years when FG takes the helm - so we basically have a government of fiscal conservatives, so I'd expect any non-coronavirus-emergency 'stimulus' to be tiny in the first 2 years.

If thats the case then we in big trouble

Advertisement