Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caravan Park Dublin - Doolin

• 27-06-2020 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I am taking first trip with Caravan in a few weeks. First time is a rental and then will probably invest. We are driving from Dublin to Doolin and I expect to take it extra easy so I was thinking of stopping off half way along for a night on way down and up. Stop the stress with a car full of kids etc

Any ideas where we could stop off? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am taking first trip with Caravan in a few weeks. First time is a rental and then will probably invest. We are driving from Dublin to Doolin and I expect to take it extra easy so I was thinking of stopping off half way along for a night on way down and up. Stop the stress with a car full of kids etc

Any ideas where we could stop off? Thanks

Curraghchase Forest Park, Co. Limerick is nice for a over night stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Vinnie222 wrote: »

Thanks

I was going to head the Galway road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not a huge spin, if you head by limerick you'll have a good road from dublin until the far side of Ennis. You could maybe then head over by lahinch/ennistimon to doolin.

It's not a huge spin, if you head by limerick you'll have a good road from dublin until the far side of Ennis. You could maybe then head over by lahinch/ennistimon to doolin.

Thansk

I drive long distance all the time so that’s not the issue, I would expect to probably stay at circa 80km/h so a break in the middle might make it easier on all involved as will have 4 kids with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Agree completely with this. Doolin is a bit more than an hour from Limerick and you could stop overnight in Roscrea if you wanted. That would be near halfway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sure he'd be in Roscrea in little over an hour. Probably another 2hrs to doolin with the Caravan in tow. Leave Dublin at 9am I'd say you'd be on the beach by lunchtime.

Watch out for Julia's lobster truck when your down there..she's back on the road, updates on her Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

There is, or used to be, one near Lough Ree, just this side of Athlone.

Lough Ree caravan or Camping Park?

Never tried it but I remember seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

where are you renting a caravan from?

Day Lewin wrote: »
    There is, or used to be, one near Lough Ree, just this side of Athlone.

Lough Ree caravan or Camping Park?

Never tried it but I remember seeing it.

Thanks, must have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Galway route Lough Ennel outside Mullingar and as mentioned Lough Ree outside Athlone are the only ones close to the M6. Single night bookings might be tricky at weekends depending on your travel dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I would second Lough Ree East campsite. It is fairly halfway and a great spot.

loyatemu wrote: »
    where are you renting a caravan from?

Guy off done deal

So down in Doolin, on way down followed Google maps and that was a bit of disaster as it took me down all back roads. Well not a disaster but misses wasn’t happy.

What’s the best way home toDublin I’m wondering? I went down to Galway, onto limerick road and then turned off at I have no idea.

Should I go back via limerick road or what recommendation?

I guess no apps that you can set it’s a caravan and not a car?

Thansk

Head towards Lisdoonvarna and turn right onto the N67 to Ennis. From there it's motorway to Dublin.

db wrote: »
    Head towards Lisdoonvarna and turn right onto the N67 to Ennis. From there it's motorway to Dublin.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks...
    Let us know how you get on with this route.

jamesd wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with this route.

Will do, staying a few days extra so I think plan is travel now on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

How were the roads for you getting back?

jamesd wrote: »
    How were the roads for you getting back?

Only back up as had to drop off caravan

So went from Doolin straight to Ennis, I took the option of heading on M18 towards Galway, then onto Dublin road and straight up. Took the directions from above more or less.

Think I could have gone via the Limerick road as well

A lot lot easier than the route we took down....

Thanks, worked perfect

• Advertisement

Thanks, worked perfect

Glad to hear you had an easier tow home. If you came the Limerick route it would have taken about 3 hours from Ennis to Dublin.
    If you went the coast road on the way there it must have been some experience. 😀 My first year I found myself in the middle of Kinsale on the August bank holiday weekend.

Glad to hear you had an easier tow home. If you came the Limerick route it would have taken about 3 hours from Ennis to Dublin.
    If you went the coast road on the way there it must have been some experience. �� My first year I found myself in the middle of Kinsale on the August bank holiday weekend.

No idea what road we took :D ended up down roads the size of the caravan. It was a bit of an adventure but didnt want to repeat

Will know next time not to automatically follow the sat nav

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Vinnie222 wrote: »

Way out of the way heading for Doolin. You would head for Ennis if you came the Limerick road not out the Kerry road.

Advertisement