Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

How are people finding their laptops? Mine has just arrived in Cologne, after a extended in holiday in Korea - hopefully it arrives soon :))))

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Mine just got to Cologne too. The wait is nearly over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

MJ434 wrote: »
    How are people finding their laptops? Mine has just arrived in Cologne, after a extended in holiday in Korea - hopefully it arrives soon :))))

You will not be disappointed. Well worth the money. Plenty of advice here if you're stuck. My set up (No OS) was very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭podge3

Unfortunately mind has gone missing in DPD Parcel Wizard. Delivered last Thursday but they have no record of it😠😠

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

podge3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately mind has gone missing in DPD Parcel Wizard. Delivered last Thursday but they have no record of it😠😠

AHH no! My parcel wizard deliveies have been very delayed so give it a few more days... What is their lost parcel procedure?

Mine is coming into Parcel Motel so I'm worried about that happening too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I hate to worry ya but I've had a terrible experience with them over a package they signed for but disappeared without a trace. UPS I'm sure as well actually! A pair of runners I got at a bargain price. Took about 2 and a half months for their insurance to pay out. Sorry!

Dante7 wrote: »
    Couple of things I've noticed since getting the laptop. I have the 4500u with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, USB-C charger.

You can change the amount of dedicated RAM allocated to the GPU to improve graphics performance. The setting is under UMA Frame Buffering in the BIOS. My laptop has 8GB RAM and it was set to 512MB. I upped it to 1GB. If I had 16GB I'd definitely up this to 2GB unless I was only every going to use the laptop for compiling. I've played Battlefield V, Forza 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on it and they all played beautifully.

Another thing I noticed is that in the manual it says that you can switch between the three CPU thermal modes (Intelligent Cooling, Extreme Performance and Battery Saving) by pressing Fn+Q. This does not work and I thought you could only change this setting through the BIOS. However if you download the Lenovo Vantage program, it has an option for switching modes without having to restart. There is also an interesting option in the VAntage program for the battery. You can enable rapid charge or an option that keeps the battery charged at 50-60% to prolong its life. This would be beneficial if you mainly used the laptop while connected to the mains.

The Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card is excellent. I was getting a near 1Gb/s connection was near my router and a steady 566Mb/s elsewhere in the house.

The May 2020 Windows 10 update didn't install automatically. Says that the laptop is not ready for it yet. I installed it manually via Windows update assistant and no problems so far.

The SD card is connected to the USB bus, so speeds for that are limited to USB speed.

The 256GB M.2 disk is extremely fast. I am getting 2300MB/s + 1500MB/s transfer rates.

If anyone has any questions, just holler.

followed a few of these steps this evening

no real change in userbenchmark for gaming performance (tho as noted it is still a fair performer regardless for a machine without a dedicated gfx card) but the desktop/workstation performance ratings took a big jump

im not sure id keep the settings that way full time, the fan is a bit noisy, but still good to know and thanks again

AHH no! My parcel wizard deliveies have been very delayed so give it a few more days... What is their lost parcel procedure?

Mine is coming into Parcel Motel so I'm worried about that happening too..
    Yeah, I had a coffee machine delayed for 5 days recently but at least that was actually registered on my account as having been delivered to PW. My laptop is just missing😭.

dos29 wrote: »
    I hate to worry ya but I've had a terrible experience with them over a package they signed for but disappeared without a trace. UPS I'm sure as well actually! A pair of runners I got at a bargain price. Took about 2 and a half months for their insurance to pay out. Sorry!
    Thing is, there is no signature from DPD, just says delivered and a name.

I'm hoping it will show up but it'll be a week tomorrow. Not sure on the insurance, or even if they'll pay. I think it's only €50 also.

Oh well, might not be the bargain I thought it was 😩.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Working away fine, but I haven't stressed it with video editing or anything yet so I don't really have an opinion on the performance yet.

I got the USB-C power, though not sure what advantage it has over the bog-standard one. If anything, doesn't it tie up the USB-C port? Am I right in thinking that with this option, only the external power adapter changed, and the laptop internals are all the same? I haven't spent time googling this yet, so there's probably a simple explanation.

One very minor fiddly thing annoying me is the fingerprint sensor sharing the power button. With my previous machine, when finished up for the day, I'd lock it (Windows-L) then press the power button to sleep. With this one, after locking it, when I press the power button, it unlocks it because it recognises the finger. Now I either manually 'sleep' it using the mouse from the lock screen or else press the power button with a finger not registered for fingerprint. I always configure machines to stay awake when the lid is closed in case I'm leaving something running. This actually just spurred me to google it, and I've setup a shortcut I can click now to sleep the machine.

I have noticed the fan kicking in now and then, but I think that's when I don't leave any clearance underneath for air. I have it resting on a book for height and if it's sitting back too far, the 2mm rubber stand thing at the back may not rest on the book, leaving the air intake obscured, so it's probably my fault.

I find the screen resolution excellent, so much so that I have it on (the default) 125% scaling.

I initially was a bit disappointed in only 2 USB ports, as I generally use 3 all the time (mouse, keyboard, headset) and sometimes another for a USB key. My old laptop had 3 ports. I was keeping a lookout to replace my keyboard & mouse with a single set, but have since found a spare USB hub so it's not annoying me any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The whole USB thing annoys me. I use a lot of USB stuff and one my previous old laptops had 6 USB ports. Once you use a hub, it shares the bandwidth on just one port.
    Modern laptops are very stingy with USB ports, they are often poorly places as well. You can get a larger USB hub or docking station but a good one isn't cheap. Though is all you are using is mice and keyboard cheap ones will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lenovo have a flash sale on now, anyone still looking for something might find a machine.

I'm hoping it will show up but it'll be a week tomorrow. Not sure on the insurance, or even if they'll pay. I think it's only €50 also.

Your contract is with Lenovo to get the laptop to you - let them battle it out with the courier. Contact support and let them know you will initiate a chargeback if necessary.

SBS wrote: »
    Your contract is with Lenovo to get the laptop to you - let them battle it out with the courier. Contact support and let them know you will initiate a chargeback if necessary.
    My laptop has finally been logged in with ParcelWizard.

Looks like the issue was with UPS, not DPD. The package was shown as delivered last Thursday by UPS tracking but no sign of it in the PW depot.

I rang the PW/DPD help number early this week and they were very helpful and promised to look for it.

Today, just before I contacted PW again, I checked the UPS tracking just to have my facts straight for DPD. The UPS tracking now shows as having been delivered a second time this morning :mad:...WTF!

So despite my initial blaming of DPD, looks like UPS never delivered the item at all in the first place.

I should have it tomorrow, hope the UPS van didn't drive over it or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

UPS are F***ing useless

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Received mine earlier, just got Windows installed and configured. Lovely machine so far.

Thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

antomack wrote: »
    Received mine earlier, just got Windows installed and configured. Lovely machine so far.

Thanks op.

Nice one, mine arrived in Dublin today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hey,
    Seeing as ye all seem to be happy with the laptops I have been lookin on the lenovo site just to see what they cost now..
    And I can't seem to find one... Its the Ideapad 5 Ryzen 5 4500 model ye got wasn't it?

Unless I'm completely confused they don't seem to sell the Ideapad 5 any more..only Ideapad 3 ??

What gives??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

vidapura wrote: »
    Hey,
    Seeing as ye all seem to be happy with the laptops I have been lookin on the lenovo site just to see what they cost now..
    And I can't seem to find one... Its the Ideapad 5 Ryzen 5 4500 model ye got wasn't it?

Unless I'm completely confused they don't seem to sell the Ideapad 5 any more..only Ideapad 3 ??

What gives??

The exact model doesn't show up in searches on the site at the moment, but if you google it and click on the result, you'll find it. Listed as "coming soon" so you can't buy them currently

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-15ARE05/p/88IPS501393

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

SBS wrote: »

Afraid not, if you chose parcel wizard as your destination. Once it gets there, Lenovo, and their carrier, have done their bit, and are absolved of any responsibility. It’s then between you and DPD to thrash it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

dodzy wrote:
    Afraid not, if you chose parcel wizard as your destination. Once it gets there, Lenovo, and their carrier, have done their bit, and are absolved of any responsibility. It’s then between you and DPD to thrash it out.

And did will only give you 100 Euro no matter the cost of the item. I had a Samsung galaxy s9 go missing last year and only got cheque for 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

The original hotukdeal link has expired.

Is there another sale going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Kolido wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an ebay seller I can get a Windows 10 key from? Can pm me if we are not permitted to post names here. Thanks.

Looking for the same. Does this include office (excel,word) ? Or is that separate key required?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A separate key is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

I ordered the ideapad 3 having missed the deal, was still reasonable enough in comparison to similar priced laptops. Anyway, there was 6 weeks waiting time which was fine, I got an email saying it may be another few days than what was originally advertised, fine again.

But I just checked the my order page and delivery date is now January 2021 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Here's another review of the the laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghy1Q5khGcA

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ahh Jesus.. thats not fair to you...
    Thanks for warning us ..
    sibersha wrote: »
    I ordered the ideapad 3 having missed the deal, was still reasonable enough in comparison to similar priced laptops. Anyway, there was 6 weeks waiting time which was fine, I got an email saying it may be another few days than what was originally advertised, fine again.

But I just checked the my order page and delivery date is now January 2021 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

vidapura wrote: »
    Ahh Jesus.. thats not fair to you...
    Thanks for warning us ..

I've emailed them and thankfully they've said it was an error and I should expect it to be shipped at the end of the month which was approximately the last shipping date they had sent me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The 14 inch IdeaPad 5 is now available. I've configured as follows and using the rewards store and newsletter discount it comes to €470

It seems like good value to me, what are your thoughts?

Processor - AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Processor (2.70GHz, Max Boost up to 3.70GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache)
    Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language - Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software - Microsoft Office Trial
    Memory - 8GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Hard Drive - 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display - 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.0mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphics - Integrated Graphics
    Color - Graphite Grey
    Keyboard - Keyboard Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Palmrest - PC/ABS
    Surface Treatment - Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
    Battery - 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 57Wh
    Power Cord - 65W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK
    Wireless - Wireless 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack - Publication-English
    Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ I will probably upgrade the processor to 4500 and memory to 16gb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement