Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any downside to Windows 10 Enterprise edition for a home user

Options
  • 30-04-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭

I have an offer of a second hand laptop, recycled from a corporate environment. The specs are OK for my needs. My only concern is that it is running Windows 10 Enterprise, which I don't know much about.

Everything I've read says that Enterprise has some heavyweight security extras which are probably not necessary. Is there any disadvantages for me as a home user?

Will it restrict what software I can install or reduce my future upgrade options in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I have an offer of a second hand laptop, recycled from a corporate environment. The specs are OK for my needs. My only concern is that it is running Windows 10 Enterprise, which I don't know much about.

Everything I've read says that Enterprise has some heavyweight security extras which are probably not necessary. Is there any disadvantages for me as a home user?

Will it restrict what software I can install or reduce my future upgrade options in any way?

Thanks in advance.
    No negatives to pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DopeTech wrote: »
    No negatives to pro.

Thanks, though it is Enterprise that I'm looking at. Any disadvantages with Enterprise compared to Home or Pro?

Some interesting points in this article for anyone else wrestling with this issue;

https://www.howtogeek.com/271258/10-features-only-available-in-windows-10-enterprise-and-education/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks in advance.

its going to start throwing up activation errors when it cant contact the VLK server in the enterprise for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Along with activation errors for windows and it’s Microsoft programs as it can’t connect to corporate licence policy. Excel etc will also give more limited access after activation errors. It may have encryption on the drive and it may be linked to a corporate server (as mine is).

If it’s a good spec laptop, wipe it which will remove encryption, load Win10 home or pro (you will have to pay for windows), although there are workarounds and then you have no concerns about loading anything you wish. Be aware, depending on encryption, it may restrict ability to wipe. Then buy a SSD drive to replace it.

You won’t get a good spec laptop for the price of Win10 anywhere else. What are the specs and age of laptop ?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    its going to start throwing up activation errors when it cant contact the VLK server in the enterprise for a start.
    Damien360 wrote: »
    Along with activation errors for windows and it’s Microsoft programs as it can’t connect to corporate licence policy. Excel etc will also give more limited access after activation errors. It may have encryption on the drive and it may be linked to a corporate server (as mine is).

Thanks for the feedback. That's definitely enough to put me off. I'll look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the feedback. That's definitely enough to put me off. I'll look elsewhere.

I wouldn't write it off just yet. What laptop is it?

Chances are it will have shipped with Windows 7/8/10 Pro anyway and can be reloaded and activated with that.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't write it off just yet. What laptop is it?

Chances are it will have shipped with Windows 7/8/10 Pro anyway and can be reloaded and activated with that.

Thanks, I've gone elsewhere now.

Advertisement