Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Grease under your Nails

• 29-06-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

For female cyclists who like to do some DIY on their own bikes:

For those times you cannot get all the grease out from under your nails ; just use some colourful light brown nail-varnish until you do :)

In my last job at the Hotel Front-Desk we were not permitted to wear striking coloured nail-narnish. One day I went in with this light browny-shiny varnish. Spotted by one of the Chefs who commented on it's beauty ; confession followed by me - working late the previous night on my bike and couldn't get all the damn grease out from under my nails, even after filling them down to the last so I just used this beautiful light brown shiny vanish :o

Try washing powder ; soap ; nail-scrubber ; nail-files ; <- they fail, just use some colourful light brown shiny nail-varnish.

Problem solved disguised for work the next-day,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Acetone is nasty. One of the problems is that since it's water soluble it will soak into your skin and carry dissolved nasties into your bloodstream.

Hot soapy water , like really soapy water is great for this sort of stuff, and minor cuts too.

The guaranteed way of cleaning your nails is to wash your hair, plenty of shampoo hot/warm water and give a good scrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭jack of all

A good way to remove dirty oil and grease stains from your hands and finger nails is to use another oil- olive oil. Olive oil won't harm your skin but if used on some kitchen towels and worked under the nails it does a pretty good job of removing the worst of the oil, followed by hot water soap and nail brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭theflipdave

Olive oil won't harm your skin but if used on some kitchen towels and worked under the nails it does a pretty good job of removing the worst of the oil, followed by hot water soap and nail brush!

I heard that's good

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could also dampen a bar of soap until it gets slightly softer -not soggy- and scratch the bar until the soap completely fills the area under your nails. Then wash and scrub the nails well with warm water.

Bicarbonate of soda and warm vinegar would also help, as would very diluted washing soda, but the latter might ruin your skin so use with caution.

That Astonish paste for cleaning cookers is also very effective, and it's not too harsh on the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

New Home wrote: »
    You could also dampen a bar of soap until it gets slightly softer -not soggy- and scratch the bar until the soap completely fills the area under your nails. Then wash and scrub the nails well with warm water.
    I was wondering if something similar could be done BEFORE working on the bike, smearing something like soap under your nails so it forms a barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Washing up liquid and a spoon of sugar. Try it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote: »
    I was wondering if something similar could be done BEFORE working on the bike, smearing something like soap under your nails so it forms a barrier.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier_cream

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rubadub wrote: »
    Bike mechanics use disposable latex gloves, although household gloves could also be used. Note that some people can be allergic to latex, so nitrile rubber, polyvinyl chloride and neoprene are alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Victor wrote: »
    Bike mechanics use disposable latex gloves
    i know 2 bike mechanics and it is very rare to see them wear gloves. I do many jobs on my own bike and have PVC & latex gloves but usually work without them. They are horrible to wear if doing any fiddly stuff. In most youtube videos they wear none. I only wear them if cleaning a chain or something "non fiddly" but messy.

I wear thicker gloves if there is a risk of a spanner or some part quickly coming loose and you risk lashing your hand against something.

Advertisement