Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

• 29-04-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Edit Title when its confirmed to be Vikings or Samurai or Samurai Vikings.

Last 2 were brilliant, Odyssey being the best of all them (shades 2 for better working gameplay, Ezio is better so maybe its 2 then Odyssey)

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1255466737274957825

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm totally down for some Viking action. But that's what self isolation does to a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

As long as it's not called Ragnarök!
    I don't know why, but I hate that word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

marcbrophy wrote: »
    As long as it's not called Ragnarök!
    I don't know why, but I hate that word :D

I can't take that word seriously since hearing the Hulk pronounce it while eating in Thor: Ragnarok (0:14)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

There was a "leak" last year about it being set in 9-10th century and focus on the Viking raids.

Some interesting parts from it
    you wash up in Ireland and meet Brian Boru and he becomes a form of mentor/father figure to the main character. Could be BS though. But this could tie in to older AC games: Unity had the "game selection" at the start, and Hell in Hibernia was one of them available, so possibly related to this/ideas were floating round the past few years

Anyways, image on the stream now is of a shadow figure bisecting the screen; frozen mountains on the left, green fields and a medieval castle on the right, so possibly could be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A few less side quests are a clearer sign-posting for the main questline would be nice. Anytime I go back to Odyssey, the whole thing just seems so overwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So cool that they have Boss Logic doing live art to announce the game!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just looked at it there now and the stream is showing some artwork featuring a longship, so yea, Vikings I reckon. No bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ah yes..vikings.. of course.. known for their stealth and aerobatics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Played all AC games up until 3 (which I skipped), then played Black Flag, skipped everything since. Vikings sounds interesting though. I wonder if there'll be a part on how to train dragons :D

nix wrote: »
    Ah yes..vikings.. of course.. known for their stealth and aerobatics :pac:

I think they've long since abandoned that anyway. The games are far more about superpowers and general RPGness now. Which to be honest, I quite enjoyed in the last game. First time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to a new AC game. Odyssey completely won me back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Vikings? Now I'm interested

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A few less side quests are a clearer sign-posting for the main questline would be nice. Anytime I go back to Odyssey, the whole thing just seems so overwhelming.

You can tailor the hud to however you see fit, icons or no icons or some icons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Thought the poster of the new game on twitter was the Rock of Cashel at first glance, that would be awesome, especially as its just down the road from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Excited but can't help feel they're just copying God of War with the setting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

AC: Valhalla is the official title. First trailer is tomorrow at 4PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    AC: Valhalla is the official title. First trailer is tomorrow at 4PM.

That one Viking name other than Ragnarok then. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What's the actual modern day story plot now? Last I remembered, Juno was set on obliterating the world, Desmond sacrificed himself, then Abstergo stole his body and have teams working on his memory. I know some like archaologist woman met Kassandra, has the staff now, and Kassandra told her to destroy all pieces of Eden when she was finished. Anything else and how Valhalla may work with it?

jaxxx wrote: »
    What's the actual modern day story plot now? Last I remembered, Juno was set on obliterating the world, Desmond sacrificed himself, then Abstergo stole his body and have teams working on his memory. I know some like archaologist woman met Kassandra, has the staff now, and Kassandra told her to destroy all pieces of Eden when she was finished. Anything else and how Valhalla may work with it?

The Juno arc was finished in the Uprising comic before Origins came out. Short version:
    Shroud from Syndicate used to put her mind in cloned body. Abstergo project hijacked by Instruments of the First Will but Templars/Assassins joined forces and destroyed the lab with Juno in it after she was killed by comics' Assassin lead and Desmond's Sage son whose possession never took hold because bloodline.

A rumour/theory for the Vikings game was that players would Otso Berg - the Finnish Abstergo guy who started off as... Revelations' multiplayer POV character? - as he ended up
    paralysed by the Staff through his spine at the end of the DLC by Layla Hassan - the Origins/Odyssey modern day protagonist - who ended the game with the beginnings of a Chosen One power trip
    . Plus Otso Berg has a Viking ancestor mentioned in Rogue who took part in the sacking of Lindisfarne.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, after the second or third game, I realised how little the future stuff brought to the game, and have essentially ignored it. Couldn't tell you what happens in any of them, while I could give a good account of the actual games themselves.

The last two games have been brilliant, and leaving the historical accuracy behind for more fantasy stuff has done wonders for it, in my opinion. In games where you can survive a fall from any height so long as your shoving a knife into someones neck, and you were for all intents and purposes a vengeful superhero, it never made sense to me to limit the world to a very mild version of "historical accuracy".

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    To be honest, after the second or third game, I realised how little the future stuff brought to the game, and have essentially ignored it. Couldn't tell you what happens in any of them, while I could give a good account of the actual games themselves.

The last two games have been brilliant, and leaving the historical accuracy behind for more fantasy stuff has done wonders for it, in my opinion. In games where you can survive a fall from any height so long as your shoving a knife into someones neck, and you were for all intents and purposes a vengeful superhero, it never made sense to me to limit the world to a very mild version of "historical accuracy".

Historically speaking, haystacks were a hell of a lot softer back in those days... :D

I agree though, the superpowers really helped reinvigorate the series for me. Giving you the powers of a demi-god and letting you actually have fun with it. They milked the hell out of the previous formula which is partly why the present-day story got so stale, they stretched the hell out of it and it broke. The fact they had to finish off what they made to be the main, true story of the franchise, in a series of comic books... I'd already checked out of it by then but I'd have been really annoyed by that.

I didn't care for any of the present-day stuff in Odyssey either, got through it as quick as I could. It just really doesn't matter at all at this stage.

The modern day framing is part of the appeal for me and while I dislike the lack of a resolution in the games for the ongoing plot, when half of players don't finish a game and you're having to bring people up to speed every time with diminishing returns, the current approach isn't unreasonable.

Plus if the movie had been successful, the modern day could have had a home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I really enjoyed origins. Didn’t finish odyssey but I should have

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully we will get it this year, ps 5 launch title maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully we will get it this year, ps 5 launch title maybe.

Its going to be cross gen.

Ridley wrote: »
    The modern day framing is part of the appeal for me and while I dislike the lack of a resolution in the games for the ongoing plot, when half of players don't finish a game and you're having to bring people up to speed every time with diminishing returns, the current approach isn't unreasonable.

It was a huge part of the appeal for me too, but once they moved away from Desmond to the 1st-person unnamed character thing in Black Flag, I just couldn't get into it at all. I think at best they could make it optional or cutscenes only, rather than forcing you out of the Animus at huge story twists to make you check emails.

They just need to pick a lane; either make it an important part of the story each time and make it interesting (like it was with Desmond), or abandon it. But with Odyssey, I really saw no need to have left the Animus at any point bar the conclusion to the main story
    Kassandra/Alexios passing on the staff in present-day
    .With the Desmond games, there was always something interesting to do, or collectibles to find, or some place to explore. The modern-day stuff since Black Flag... it really just all feels like "check emails for pointless background info that doesn't really matter".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Also the same when it comes to modern day stuff, dont even bother reading stuff just run the character to whatever they need. So i can get back to more stabby stabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I like Vikings, but I'm going to assume this will follow a similar style to Odyssey? I loved Odyssey, but do I really have another 100+ hr in me for a similar style? I don't think I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Penn wrote: »
    It was a huge part of the appeal for me too, but once they moved away from Desmond to the 1st-person unnamed character thing in Black Flag, I just couldn't get into it at all. I think at best they could make it optional or cutscenes only, rather than forcing you out of the Animus at huge story twists to make you check emails.

Same, it made sense to me while Desmond was still the main character in the future but once they moved away from that it just became too convoluted and I didn't really care. Would happily play any and all future AC games without ever having to see any of the future parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement