Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We did a large chunk of our shopping during the week. Both the girls are mad into Lego. The younger one has her heart set on some Lego Friends and the older one recently devoured all the Harry Potter books so has her eyes on the Lego sets.
    Did a Clink n Collect in Smyths just in case we see shops closing again so a lot of the stress is gone. Might even get them wrapped before November this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Heroditas wrote: »
    We did a large chunk of our shopping during the week. Both the girls are mad into Lego. The younger one has her heart set on some Lego Friends and the older one recently devoured all the Harry Potter books so has her eyes on the Lego sets.
    Did a Clink n Collect in Smyths just in case we see shops closing again so a lot of the stress is gone. Might even get them wrapped before November this year :D

Same things that my two are interested in. I've bought all of ours as well. Really happy to be done so early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Oh man I feel much slower this year but its harder as all my kids have gone past the toy stage, my 10 year old I think will want a electric scooter this year and doesn't like toys anymore but is still a believer.

Is it legal to give an electric scooter to a ten year old?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 2 YankeeDoodle88

Ordered a Nintedo Switch for my husband from Amazon, which has arrived.
    He bought me a PS5 in the Smyths pre-sale, which should arrive mid November. Delighted to have these sorted so early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Cant actually believe i am typing this but I have one child finished and some smaller /stocking fillers for the older guy. Struggling to think what to buy for a teen boy.

We stopped buying for siblings years ago and only have dh's parents to buy for. Have always tried to take them to a show/dinner or send them away for the weekend.

We will stay home for dinner so thinking should I do beef or turkey/ham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I’m done - well as near to it as I could be! I have stocking fillers - underwear etc - to buy and some Christmas Eve box things but all the large gifts are got. Not being able to go out to shop sort of pushed me into getting it all done online early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The DPD or An Post man (with Amazon parcels) sees my wife more than I do during the work day lol.

At the rate we're going. i'll have to buy our postman a Christmas present :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thoughts on waiting for Black Friday / Cyber Monday or just finish the gift buying now ?

Youngest child done but still need Hubby's main gift (chosen) and part of Teen Son's gift.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Thoughts on waiting for Black Friday / Cyber Monday or just finish the gift buying now ?

Youngest child done but still need Hubby's main gift (chosen) and part of Teen Son's gift.

My advice would be not to wait. If non essential retailers have to close they will not be in a rush to do a Black Friday discounted sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I have one goft left to get, a mobile for my daughter, had been holding off to order it until closer to christmas in case there was any warranty issues etc. but suspect with increased restrictions on the horizon I'll have to bite the bullet & order it this week. Definitely dont want to take any chances with availability and/or delivery in the coming weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Wife was just on a work call and one of her team rang in from the queue to get into Symths :(

TRS30 wrote: »
    Wife was just on a work call and one of her team rang in from the queue to get into Symths :(

Panic buying due to last nights 'leak' if thats the case.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Panic buying thats to last nights 'leak' if thats the case.

Completely, everyone on the call was saying non essential shops closed by end of today type stuff. Total panic merchants!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

It was always bound to happen people won’t take chances so much uncertainty :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Panic buying due to last nights 'leak' if thats the case.

100% that's what it is, we're coming into the biggest retail time of the year there's no way the government will shut down shops now. If they did the VAT and PAYE the government would lose out on we'd never make back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, it would be the final nail in the coffin for many retailers.

I hope the government don't shut the shops- I don't think they will (for pretty much the reasons Loughc has stated above) but then, I thought this would be all over and done with by the summer, so it shows what I know!! :pac:

Any chance that if they shut the non-essential shops now for 4-6 weeks that they could all open again in time for Christmas shopping ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Spent a ridiculous amount of money on a zelda sword and shield for my six year old. Or rather my husband did. They play together (well he watches Daddy!) and its their thing so I let it go lol.

Started putting together the final lists now and aiming to shop this month/next month at the latest tbh

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Any chance that if they shut the non-essential shops now for 4-6 weeks that they could all open again in time for Christmas shopping ?

It's possible... but it's also possible that the case numbers don't lower and this extends past those timelines.

It would also cause a blind panic for when the shops did re-open. Hopefully the government see sense and keep shops open but stop all extra activities like sports training, gyms, etc and just leave it to essential visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I went out to get my parents their last grandchildren christmas present this afternoon. I went to Smyths in Swords and it was fine.No que walked in got what I wanted and then there were only two ahead of me in the till line.

Also got my other half a Lego Land Rover Defender, he'll be delighted over Christmas with it especially if everyone is stuck at home.Seemed a bit steep at €167 but I know he'll be happy.

I went out to get my parents their last grandchildren christmas present this afternoon. I went to Smyths in Swords and it was fine.No que walked in got what I wanted and then there were only two ahead of me in the till line.

You must have been lucky as this was Smyths Swords earlier

https://twitter.com/pauldeighano/status/1313059161152851969?s=10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Loughc wrote: »
    You must have been lucky as this was Smyths Swords earlier

https://twitter.com/pauldeighano/status/1313059161152851969?s=10

That's insane :eek:

I drove over at 1pm and was in and out in under 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Now I read this on Facebook(So just take that into mind)but a woman said her daughter worked in Smyth's and there click and collect orders were meant to have soared by over 600% last night at 10pm and the staff were called in early to prepare and lots were just going in collecting stuff.

Now I read this on Facebook(So just take that into mind)but a woman said her daughter worked in Smyth's and there click and collect orders were meant to have soared by over 600% last night at 10pm and the staff were called in early to prepare and lots were just going in collecting stuff.

I love the specifics of 600%, not just a random 'gone through the roof'!

Never knew Symths employed statisticians :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm very tempted to buy this!
    120727452_1736684643164389_2532919044946410043_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7KCvtvq4ahAAX-gZFMo&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=37e45c166a2ba1b4f7e23c96a38e00a6&oe=5FA00E08

Sure 88.6% of all stats are pulled out of peoples ar$es anyway* :D

*Loughc excluded re: forum stats, they're legit! Allegedly!

120727452_1736684643164389_2532919044946410043_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7KCvtvq4ahAAX-gZFMo&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=37e45c166a2ba1b4f7e23c96a38e00a6&oe=5FA00E08

Do !

Did someone say stats? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Do it, do it, do it!!!! :D

Bit of Santa shopping done today :) Some duplo and a little farm and tractor. My little boy will be 16 months by then so hopefully he likes them :)

Advertisement