Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Optimum Camera Placement Positions

• 24-12-2019 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've purchased a Reolink 4X POE camera system and NVR. My day job is camera in manufacturing, and I have to say these appear to be excellent quality so far.

https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-800b4/

The cameras themselves are somewhat bulky for a residential setup, and the NIR illumination is visible at night. I'm okay with this as their primary purpose is to act as a deterrent.

I do need to be conscious of their placement however. I need to strike a balance between area coverage vs. fine detail, and making the cameras visible to those who takes a second glance, but not obtrusive.

So far, I've assigned one to the front door which will be out of sight until you're in the porch area, mostly for faces, but will cover one car. Most daytime burglars will call to the door first in normal clothing, this should discourage them.

Next up, one low at the back door for the same reason.

Finally, and the main purpose of the cameras really, is to cover a 25M length of 8ft side wall onto a green area and then busy road. It's a great entry/escape route, and two garden sheds are visible from it.

Do I place the cameras high(fascia board of 2 storey house), increase their coverage area and making them more a more visible deterrent, but reducing detail.

Or do I go lower, less of a deterrent, no view over the wall, but much more capable of identification?

Any advice or tips very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ideally, if you can afford it, go with both.

Can you buy/add extra Reolink cameras to your system to do both?

Or you could go with something like two cheap Yi outdoor cameras high up to give extra deterrent and wider coverage, with the Reolink being for more detail.

Or do it the other way around, a popular option that many people seem to be going for, is a video doorbell like Ring/Nest for the main door and then put the Reolinks up high for the coverage of the gardens and deterrent.

If you have already spent your budget on the Reolinks, then perhaps cheap dummy outdoor cameras high up just for the deterrent value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Most burglars come round the back it's better if the cameras are hidden so they will not cover up face. Also get camera that sends photos to your phone so you can call garda
    Get one that captures car licence plate

Advertisement