Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

need help with german pronunciation

• 30-04-2015 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

ok have been learning german in my spare time the last few years. listening to loads of news/ reading paper online magazines, textbooks etc. my grammar is good but my pronunciation is shocking. never got that basic right. need help with how to pronounce each word for example I don't know the difference is pronunciation between schon and schön. know exactly what they mean by reading them but couldn't pronounce them properly. its come to the stage now where I am embarrassed to talk. for example I could understand most things a german would be saying but they would have trouble understanding me because my pronunciation would be off.
    where do I start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eirien

First off, to my mind pronunciation is not such a big obstacle in communication - context usually will tell which of two similar-sounding words is the one you mean. Still, to improve your pronunciation, you'll maybe find the Forvo.com site helpful. It has loads of user-generated soundclips of words and phrases done by native speakers - real people instead of the computer-voice stuff some online dictionaries provide. I'm still not allowed to post links here (I think), but you should find this site quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ni_bheolain

Hi f140, I would try listening to German music, watching German TV/films (with subtitles turned on in German). That helped me a lot in the initial stages of learning German. :)

Advertisement