Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really high internet usage

• 16-11-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi

Just as from today my internet usage is is going really high. I never noticed this before and ive done a virus scan and showed up nothing. Since this morning ive used 10gb of my 50gb allowance. I had all internet windows closed and if I hover my mouse over my internet connection its clocking up all the time, its about 1gb in a hour. Ive never seen this before.
    How do I check whats eating up my allowance?

Comments

My thoughts would be:

Is yours the only machine connected to your system? If not perhaps somebody else is streaming a lot of video. Some streams would easily use 1GB an hour.

If yours is the only machine, is your wifi password protected or might somebody else in the locality be aware of the password?

Might there be a big download going on in the background... Windows 10 for example.

I would just switch off your machine and see if the traffic stops when its off and resumes when you turn it on again... and take it from there.
    Oh and run your virus checker too..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

Ive isolated the problem to just the Laptop, once i turn airaplane mode off i can see the data rise, even tho ive no applications open. Turn airaplane mode on and it stops.
    Ive carried out a full scan and still nothing showing up. No windows update happening either
    How do i check what application is eating all the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Install wireshark and run it. You will be able to see the IP addresses of where the data is going. Look them up and it should give you a clue as to what is sending them.

Advertisement