Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you want a Vanilla Map reset?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I am out at the moment, but when I return I shall hit the TeamSpeak (after I hit up the off licence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

New map now up. Version is 1.7.2 - same as previous map, because of plugin compatibility. Should work with clients up to 1.7.5 ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

jujumushu wrote: »
    New map now up. Version is 1.7.2 - same as previous map, because of plugin compatibility. Should work with clients up to 1.7.5 ;)

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Hi - just wanted to confirm that when the server is reset to a new version a new map/world is generated as well? So anything that we have been working on is gone and we start from scratch?

I know the old worlds are then available on the legacy server - but the idea is that with each server reset, we all start again?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No thanks
    mindstorms wrote: »
    Hi - just wanted to confirm that when the server is reset to a new version a new map/world is generated as well? So anything that we have been working on is gone and we start from scratch?

I know the old worlds are then available on the legacy server - but the idea is that with each server reset, we all start again?

Yep, it's back to square one with a new map. This thread is actually referring to last time there was a reset though. I don't think anybody wants to reset the current server any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Yeah, was thinking that when I saw the post above mine saying it was set to 172 - but I wanted to get an idea of how much to invest before the next reset. I'm thinking that will a while if there are plugin dependencies.

If a patch comes out where the changes are not to world gen, then a map reset is not necessary.

Usually, with how slow the patches come out, people tend to want a map reset at the same time, but it is not always necessary at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Meh - I'm not fussed
    I don't think anybody wants to reset the current server any time soon.

This. The server is still in very early days. Half of the regulars are actually new players and people are joining all the time.
    mindstorms wrote: »
    I wanted to get an idea of how much to invest before the next reset.

The next reset should be a long way off. You shouldn't be worried about how much to invest before it happens. When the question arises, you will have fair say in the matter.

I only joined a month before the last reset though, so this is all just my opinion/what I have gathered since then.

The server will most likely be reset after 1.8. Once the essential plugins for running the server have been updated.

This is not guaranteed, as it will still be up to a vote, but considering so much has been changed to world gen (terrain style, extra blocks on generation) it would be very likely that people would want a reset. It would be highly unlikely that the current map would be kept, as the map is already quite large, and due to changes in villager trades amongst other things in 1.8, the original map would be completely different to an expanded area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Meh - I'm not fussed
    And bear in mind it will likely be a while before said plugins are anywhere near stable enough to risk a 1.8 server...

• Advertisement
Advertisement