Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Anyone use viadress for items of higher value? Up round 1000$?
    (sorry for going of topic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Got mine yesterday - lovely piece of kit and the touchscreen is good - if you can afford the difference between the regular and the touchscreen i would go with the touch but you wont get one delivered from the States before xmas now. The screen is the same on both anyway and is very good. I would be well happy with either as a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

D16TURBO wrote: »
    i bought 3 items totalling over $400, but that's about it so far. a kindle touch, kindle fire and a large kids toy and they repackaged them all for me and slipped the kindles into the bigger box free of charge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

D16TURBO wrote: »

Mine came to $700 (repackaged and marked as $130) and I had no trouble with customs. Also, just bought a watch through Amazon.com and delivered by viaadress and it came through customs no problem either.

100% success rate so far for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

garion wrote: »
    Mine came to $700 (repackaged and marked as $130) and I had no trouble with customs. Also, just bought a watch through Amazon.com and delivered by viaadress and it came through customs no problem either.

100% success rate so far for me anyway.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    i bought 3 items totalling over $400, but that's about it so far. a kindle touch, kindle fire and a large kids toy and they repackaged them all for me and slipped the kindles into the bigger box free of charge. :)

Well I bit the bullet and got the items ordered. They wont be here in time for Christmas but that's my fault.
    If it works out it'll be worth the wait.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I bought one in PC World Mahon yesterday @ €109

It was displayed in the security box bundled with a case/cover for an extra €40 :eek:
    I kindly said I just wanted the kindle itself.

Funny enough, I say it later that day in Tesco Douglas selling for €110 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I just wanted to know, what is the exact reason behind amazon.co.uk not delivering kindles to Ireland? Seems funny that they happily sell all kinds of electronic brands but won't sell their own gadgets to us.

I just wanted to know, what is the exact reason behind amazon.co.uk not delivering kindles to Ireland? Seems funny that they happily sell all kinds of electronic brands but won't sell their own gadgets to us.
    because the kindle is primarily a tool for selling ebooks from the amazon store and amazon.co.uk don't have the publishing rights to sell them outside the UK and the easiest way for them to manage the expectations of their customers in regards to that is to not even sell the device itself from the UK to other countries, but instead from it's international US store.

i should probably qualify that statement as an opinion rather than fact, but that's my understanding of it from what i've seen and heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

How much are kindles in tesco? I can't find them on the tesco website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€109 or €179.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Mr E wrote: »
    €109 or €179.

Thanks for that. Can you sync books onto the wifi only model through a laptop?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Can you sync books onto the wifi only model through a laptop?
    they all have a microUSB socket for charging that can also be used for data transfer with the help of an essential little app called calibre ebook manager.

you can copy over ebooks to (and from) your kindle without having to do any kind of hacking or anything (i.e. no copy protection at all) and it will convert almost any format to be kindle compatible, although you do sometimes lose a little of the formatting if it's a less well known file format.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mr E wrote: »
    €109 or €179.

They're the Currys prices.
    Tesco are €110 (From €115) and €195.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Does anyone know if this is the ad free version in Tesco?
    Had a quick look in thread but didn't see and tried googling but no info :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Does anyone know if this is the ad free version in Tesco?
    Had a quick look in thread but didn't see and tried googling but no info :-/

All versions in Ireland are ad-free. As far as I know, you can only get the version with ads in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

mcgovern wrote: »
    All versions in Ireland are ad-free. As far as I know, you can only get the version with ads in the US.

I had a look at one of them in Currys and there were ads on the menu and screen saver...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had a look at one of them in Currys and there were ads on the menu and screen saver...
    I've noticed the same thing on a demo one I saw in a big Tesco in the UK, the ones being sold were not the ones with ads though. It is just going to be the demo mode that they put on the display units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I want to buy a voucher to buy a book for someone who is getting a kindle(from tesco) for Christmas, is it better to get the voucher on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk? According to the site they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for all help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

POKERKING wrote: »
    I want to buy a voucher to buy a book for someone who is getting a kindle(from tesco) for Christmas, is it better to get the voucher on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk? According to the site they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for all help

Amazon.com is where we have to buy our books from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Amazon.com is where we have to buy our books from.

Thanks a million much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

I bought my Kindle 3 with k/board in Curry's last Summer. It registered to amazon.co.uk and I have bought books from the uk site no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

correct the vouchers are not interchangeable between amazon sites, a sterling voucher can only be used on the uk site and so on. Your kindle gets registered to your amazon account, so if you've an Irish address as your main address, you end up having to buy books from amazon.com and wouldn't be able to redeem a sterling voucher on that site. My amazon account is like that, and I got a voucher for Amazon uk for xmas. I basically set up a new amazon account specifically for my Kindle, used the brother's UK address as the main address, and registered the Kindle using that account, and then redeemed the voucher on that account. EBooks now come from the uk site. Took 5 mins to set up, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Anyone tell me how to get games on kindle fire .Got mine in USA but it won't let me download without american cred card .Also any idea where to get USB wire ,Pc world don't have them .Appreciate any help

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Can someone pls clear something up for me?

Is the Kindle Touch differant to the Kindle 4 on sale in PC World?

Is the Touch a better model?

If so, is the only place I can buy it via Amazon.com?

Hubby has promised me one for my birthday and want to get the right one ;)

Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

No idea about games, but the usb cable would be similar to any Smartphone usb charger, so maybe try a mobile phone store? Alternatively Amazon stock them;

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Replacement-Display-Generation-Kindles/dp/B003M5IQLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325180974&sr=1-1

As far as Kindle Touch goes, it looks like an upgrade on the Kindle 4 to me. I've got a Kindle 4 and it could really do with touchscreen functionality. You can compare kindles here;

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-e-Reader-Touch-Screen-Wi-Fi-Special-Offers/dp/B005890G8Y

And yes, I think it's a US only Kindle at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Touch is a different model from the Kindle 4's that you'll be seeing in PC World.

Not certain if it should be called an upgrade, just different, although it does have twice the memory of the Kindle 4. There is a table showing the different models at the bottom of the page on Amazon linked above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My Samsung USB works with my Kindle... not sure what version it is but the one for 110 in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

January wrote: »
    My Samsung USB works with my Kindle... not sure what version it is but the one for 110 in Tesco.

That's not the Kindle Fire, but I use a standard Samsung charger and USB lead for a Kindle Fire - available in most phone shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

shardylan wrote: »
    Anyone tell me how to get games on kindle fire .Got mine in USA but it won't let me download without american cred card .Also any idea where to get USB wire ,Pc world don't have them .Appreciate any help

You have two options for games:

1. Root your Kindle and use the generic Android marketplace.

2. Download the games to an android phone and transfer accross.

Google is your friend for instructions of both.

Advertisement