Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Balbriggan Cinema is Open again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hi all I can confirm the cinema is reopening, just an issue with a bust pipe but its almost there! There is a new website which will keep you updated [URL]HTTP://WWW.balbriggancinema.com[/URL]. Fell free to drop any suggestions you have

Still no cinema times for the opening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Still no cinema times for the opening tomorrow.

Just scheduleing them now, they will be up asap

Just scheduleing them now, they will be up asap

Great news. I'll be especially watching the kids club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

Glad to hear the cinema is reopening, it is a great local amenity and our 3 year old loves going. Couple of suggestions:
    • Set up a Facebook page for the cinema and incentivise people to join and become friends of the cinema...reduced rate for a showing?? Might help generate a list customers to update with promos and information on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
    • Classics - i think the Screen have done this well in the past. Have a theme eg 'Oscar winning movies' or 'Classic Horrors' etc during a weekday evening, probably Monday or Tuesday. Plenty of great movies people will go to see in the big screen again.
    • Last minute deals - if you arent getting bums on seats for a particular screening then offer a last minute reduced rate to see if it increases attendance, might bring more in a cover the cost.

The classics is a huge success in town, a few cinemas are doing it now. I'd love it.
    Phantom ran a series of polls recently. Best 80's comedy / action / eom I'm etc. Each poll winner was screened. That would bs easily managed through the Facebook page.

• Advertisement

The times are live now

paburke wrote: »
    Glad to hear the cinema is reopening, it is a great local amenity and our 3 year old loves going. Couple of suggestions:
    • Set up a Facebook page for the cinema and incentivise people to join and become friends of the cinema...reduced rate for a showing?? Might help generate a list customers to update with promos and information on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
    • Classics - i think the Screen have done this well in the past. Have a theme eg 'Oscar winning movies' or 'Classic Horrors' etc during a weekday evening, probably Monday or Tuesday. Plenty of great movies people will go to see in the big screen again.
    • Last minute deals - if you arent getting bums on seats for a particular screening then offer a last minute reduced rate to see if it increases attendance, might bring more in a cover the cost.

Facebook Page is up but it wont go live for a week or two.

Classics is definitely on the books!

Last minute deals - This on is tricky because all that happens is everyone arrives at the last minute and its really annoying of you let people head in after the movie starts, but we'll have a look at some other way to get you in the door!!

The times are live now

I'm not seeing on your website?

I'm not seeing on your website?

http://balbriggancinema.com/page3/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Last screening is a bit early for me. Would rather films around the 10pm mark but will still make an effort to get down more often.

• Advertisement

See it now. Cheers.

Are the 10.30 weekend kids clubs gone altogether now?

P.s. Thanks for coming on and answering questions.

See it now. Cheers.

Are the 10.30 weekend kids clubs gone altogether now?

P.s. Thanks for coming on and answering questions.

The Kids club (or something similar) will start back up it will just take a week or two to get running properly and get staff trained etc etc

Facebook is up and running and it would be a good place to pop your suggestions.

http://www.facebook.com/BalbrigganCinema

Thanks for all your interest and I hope you all enjoy the films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

Good to see the opening went well.

Re later showings, as a parent of young kids we havent gone to many showings due mainly because start times were 8:00, 8:20 or even 8:30...i think you might get some interest in films showing at 9 or 9:30 during the week for those that can get babysitters...though it also depends on the film i guess

Up there today for Rio at 12.00
    Place was spotless. Also empty, but id imagine people don't know it's reopened yet (I only heard on boards). Pick and mix not available yet which was heartbreaking to the 3 year old but fine as long as it's sorted soon.
    The film was clear and the volume was appropriate (the ads were a small bit loud, if I were to nitpick).
    Tickets are now sold at the service counter, which is much better IMO.
    The old kids club of 5.50 per child with a popcorn and drink is gone, which is fine. I'd rather pay more and have the cinema stay in business, but the screen time of 10.30 used to be perfect. Starting a film at 12 seems to take a bigger chunk out of the day.
    There is a "kids basket" or some such available now which is a cardboard try holding a small drink, a good (kids) portion of popcorn and 2 fun size mars bars was both a much better size and much more manageable for my young lad. It was €17.75 or so for the tray, 1 adult and 1 child.
    All in all, fair price for an enjoyable afternoon, that I didn't have to go to swords for. My young lad is just happy that the weekly cinema trip is back!

One more thing I should mention, both the girl that served me, and the one that showed me to my seat were lovely. So friendly and polite. Makes all the difference.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

classic films is a great idea. Maybe a film club type of idea would be a good way to get people in regular. I know i'd join

I dont know if this thread is still being monitored, but if it is.....

What about a monthly unlimited usage card like cineworld have?
    http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro?fallback=false&isMobileAgent=false
    Don't miss a flick with the Cineworld Unlimited Card!!! Exclusive to Cineworld Cinemas it is the ultimate movie lover's card where you get to experience unlimited tears, unlimited horror, unlimited laughter, unlimited fear. Get more of everything you love about cinema from just €19.99* a month.
    It wouldnt need to be high tec or anything. I'm sure you could print something out thats wallet sized that can be checked in the ticket office. I'd certainly take one up.
    *It would make me go and watch more movies as they were now "paid for".
    *it would be cheaper to bring my lad to the kids club (just then pay for him)
    *Guaranteed revenue every month. whether I go or not.
    *since the ticket was "paid for" I'd personally be more inclined to spend a few quid in the shop.

You can put me down for this straight away!

It wouldnt need to be high tec or anything. I'm sure you could print something out thats wallet sized that can be checked in the ticket office. I'd certainly take one up.
    *since the ticket was "paid for" I'd personally be more inclined to spend a few quid in the shop.

Jim, Some great ideas there and we are definitely willing to give
    anything a try. Can you do me a favor and pop your comments on the facebook page as that is monitored daily. If you don't use facebook (Like me!) just pop me a message and I'll pass on your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

This is a good idea. I have an annual Cineworld card, so I don't use the cinema in Balbriggan anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Just looked at the website and they are not showing Thor????? What kind of madness is that

• Advertisement

ragg wrote: »
    Just looked at the website and they are not showing Thor????? What kind of madness is that

Madness where the reel never got delivered. They apologised for it on FB.
    Its pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

AFAIK the Cineworld (originally UGC) unlimited card exploited a loop hole which the major studios have now closed so no one else can offer this. Something to do with a service charge for the privilege of seeing a film which must be paid to the studio. It is also why you have to pay the 3D service charge when you see a 3D film with your unlimited card (nothing to do with the cost of the glasses).

Irish Halo wrote: »
    AFAIK the Cineworld (originally UGC) unlimited card exploited a loop hole which the major studios have now closed so no one else can offer this. Something to do with a service charge for the privilege of seeing a film which must be paid to the studio. It is also why you have to pay the 3D service charge when you see a 3D film with your unlimited card (nothing to do with the cost of the glasses).

Yeah it all depends on the film, but in most cases now you pay per seat sold, previously you just paid to show the film. It makes club cards really difficult to deal with as the margin can be very tight on new releases. Saying that there is a plan a foot to put together a loyalty card so regular customers can be rewarded for coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Even a loyalty card would be great, I'd break my "no loyalty cards" rule for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any news on showing classic films??

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any news on showing classic films??

Yep, we are in the process of making the modifications to one of the screens to show classics. I'll keep you posted when we get it going. Any suggestions on what films you'd like to see?

Yep, we are in the process of making the modifications to one of the screens to show classics. I'll keep you posted when we get it going. Any suggestions on what films you'd like to see?

Anything 80's!!!!!

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well people have different ideas of classic movies but mine would be:

John Wayne Western Season
    Stagecoach
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Fort Apache
    The Searchers

Classic Hollywood
    You could do a double Bill with a Laural and Hardy short before the main movie.

Frank Capra
    Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
    You Can't Take It With You
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Preston Sturges
    Sullivan's Travels
    The Palm Beach Story

John Huston
    Maltese Falcon
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

John Ford
    The Informer
    The Grapes of Wrath

WW2 Classic War Movie Season
    The Dam Busters
    Ice Cold in Alex
    The Colditz Story
    A Bridge Too Far(might be too late)
    The Eagle has Landed
    The Wooden Horse

Mostly Black and White but it depends on the definition of Classic movies.
    Also some hidden gems from the 70s like Francis Ford Coppola "The Conversation" that you rarely even see on TV.

Although I would happily watch every film on your list Corsendonk (only 2 I havent seen), that might be a bit niche market for a cinema in Balbriggan. I say this with nothing but love for the place, before anyone attacks me.

The fact is, more people will show up to watch Die hard than to watch You cant take it with you.

Out of curiosity, what format do the films need to be in? I know some cinema screens are dvd capable, not reels. If so, I recently bought 2 Jimmy Stewart box sets totalling 13 movies. Anyone for a Jimmy Stewart season? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

For classic movies to show in cinema (as opposed to watching at home) I would suggest:

Rocky Horror Picture show - could be done as a fancy dress event.

The Blues Brothers

The Life of Brian

Pretty Woman

Dirty Dancing

The Great Escape

Fast and the furious 1

Fight Club

I think you would need to go for really popular relatively recent films (last 30 years) rather than black and white classics. Personally I love On the Waterfront or Casablanca or the Maltese Falcon but I'm not sure they would work as an popular option for a night out in Balbriggan - or even Dublin City Centre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement