Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ford Focus

Options
  • 03-03-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Buying a new Ford focus st line. How much of a discount can I get when buying straight, no trade in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Liam2021 wrote: »
    Buying a new Ford focus st line. How much of a discount can I get when buying straight, no trade in

Depends on your negotiating skills and if the dealer is in a rush to sell.
    You would be getting 10% at best I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were offering a ball of money off them recently. €3000 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They were offering a ball of money off them recently. €3000 I think.

I was in the market for exact same car. I've seen very few if any offering the full 3k discount. The ford dealers pricing is very wooly and they dont seem to be on top of the offers. Either way it was over hyped from the few dealers I rang. Also make sure they are selling you MY21 ST line edition. Some older ST line models are kicking about and much less spec on these.

Did you end up getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

Depends on your negotiating skills and if the dealer is in a rush to sell.
    You would be getting 10% at best I'd say.

Got price today only €700 off the list list price

• Advertisement

Got price today only €700 off the list list price

That’s why I’d never buy a new Ford. Their pricing is all over the shop.

From their site
    There is up to a €1,950 customer saving on a Focus diesel model (excluding Zetec) when registered by 28th February 2021. A further €1,000 customer saving is available to eligible trade in customers: Eligible customers must have owned either (1) a non-Ford Car or non-Ford Commercial Vehicle of any age, or (2) Ford vehicle registered up to and including March 31st, 2018. Eligible retail and small business customers only. Terms and conditions apply§. Offer available on selected vehicles only. GRP excludes metallic paint, delivery and related charges. Model shown for illustrative purposes only. At participating Ford Dealers only.

Gas that they’re pushing diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

From their site

Gas that they’re pushing diesel.

It's for business customers really though isn't it? As long as vat is reclaimable on diesel and isn't on petrol, businesses are going to buy diesel. I've had to make this decision myself.
    Diesel works out about a euro a litre ex vat, petrol is about 1.40 Inc vat. Add in the 30% or so efficiency improvements and diesel becomes a half price fuel over petrol for a vat registered business.

Edit: the additional 1000 is for businesses, the 1950 seems to be for anyone and everyone.

Nope, business and retail. They’re doing offers on vans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nope, business and retail. They’re doing offers on vans too.

Ah, I misinterpreted the word retail as a business, not retail as a customer....my bad.

• Advertisement

bs2014 wrote: »
    I was in the market for exact same car. I've seen very few if any offering the full 3k discount. The ford dealers pricing is very wooly and they dont seem to be on top of the offers. Either way it was over hyped from the few dealers I rang. Also make sure they are selling you MY21 ST line edition. Some older ST line models are kicking about and much less spec on these.

Any advice on the focus verses the new golf. It's basically going to come down to price

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the retail price of the Golf more expensive like for like spec wise? I could not imagine you buying a new Golf cheaper than a Focus. You would also get more money back on the Golf come resale time. Have you looked at anything else in that category such as the new Leon or Octavia? Also don't be afraid to shop around dealers at the opposite end of the country too to compare prices, they are nearly all offering nationwide delivery now.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the retail price of the Golf more expensive like for like spec wise? I could not imagine you buying a new Golf cheaper than a Focus. You would also get more money back on the Golf come resale time. Have you looked at anything else in that category such as the new Leon or Octavia? Also don't be afraid to shop around dealers at the opposite end of the country too to compare prices, they are nearly all offering nationwide delivery now.
    Yes I am going to price nearly all the ford and VW garages in the country. I have got a price for a new golf today getting 1700 off rotr price for straight deal.

Are you buying something that's already in stock or looking at a factory order?

Are you buying something that's already in stock or looking at a factory order?
    It's going to be a factory order.

Did you get estimated lead times from the VW dealers as they are very long from what I have heard due to component shortages. You could be waiting well into the second half of this year for one.

Did you get estimated lead times from the VW dealers as they are very long from what I have heard due to component shortages. You could be waiting well into the second half of this year for one.
    Ahh nothing new there I have waited 16 weeks in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I am going to price nearly all the ford and VW garages in the country. I have got a price for a new golf today getting 1700 off rotr price for straight deal.

The new Seat Leon is nice and actually better than the new Golf.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’d be playing each garage off each other but I wouldn’t mention I was looking at other brands. So Ford off Ford, vw off vw etc. Don’t let on you are looking at anything else as they will not take you as serious. Let them know that this is the car you are buying and you just want the best deal.

Not having a trade in is a big advantage. Is finance/pcp involved as that can make it slightly less clear?

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I’d be playing each garage off each other but I wouldn’t mention I was looking at other brands. So Ford off Ford, vw off vw etc. Don’t let on you are looking at anything else as they will not take you as serious. Let them know that this is the car you are buying and you just want the best deal.

Not having a trade in is a big advantage. Is finance/pcp involved as that can make it slightly less clear?

No finance needed so it will be the best price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Is it possible to get the 1.5 ecoboost in the focus here?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

No finance needed so it will be the best price.

Even better. Don’t be afraid to rope multiple garages of the same brand in so. As I say just make it clear that you are buying that model/spec of the same brand when speaking to them. If you go to one or two you will have a printed/emailed quote with the spec you want. Ring the others tell them you are buying and then email them same quote. Do so with each best offer you get. Won’t take long to find the best.

Also take into account perceived residuals. That won’t matter if you’ve decided one particular car but something to keep in mind. A quick way to do this would be to look at a 3 year old version with as close a spec you can find and compare how much they are going for.

For example a 3 year old golf with similar spec to a focus will probably go for more even though there is a newer model golf now.

Advertisement