Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New car motor tax

• 26-02-2021 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got a call from the dealer today and informed me that new car will be ready for collection on Monday, but i have not signed any papers yet.

and i do have all details of car for motor tax purposes via phone call.

But when i get on website, it says the motor tax is due from February as follow,

For brand new/imported vehicles, motor tax is charged from the beginning of the month of registration or month of sale (if vehicle changes ownership before first taxing). Arrears become due from the beginning of the month after registration/month of sale.

but i am not getting a car until 1st March. i know it does not cost much for one month road tax. but i have not got my car yet. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Dealership has already registered vehicle for you hence it's due from February. Scam but that's how it is sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It's still February, your car is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Use the above link to log in, then declare your car off the road for 3 months or whatever the minimum period is.

Then on March first proceed to tax it and it will say “you are declaring the vehicle back on the road early and your tax will start from March 1st”

Simples

Edit: your log in is your new Reg number and last 6 digits of chassis

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The motor tax starts from the beginning of the month in which the car is registered, not when collected. You probably needed to tell the dealer in advance that if the car wasn't ready until March then not to register until March otherwise they won't give it a second thought. There is also the possibility that they just went ahead and registered it to meet their sales targets or incentives for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Doesnt VAT go back up on Monday? or have they extended it?

I'd prefer to pay the €20 Motor tax than the extra ~€1000 in VAT

• Advertisement

Good point, yes they probably did the OP a favor so.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Doesnt VAT go back up on Monday? or have they extended it?

I'd prefer to pay the €20 Motor tax than the extra ~€1000 in VAT

i have not heard anything VAT yet. i have been waiting for new car for 16 weeks, 2% discount on VAT was initially agreed with dealer.

my query is that extra month if i should pay for that extra month, which has not been used at all?

L-M wrote: »

Use the above link to log in, then declare your car off the road for 3 months or whatever the minimum period is.

Then on March first proceed to tax it and it will say “you are declaring the vehicle back on the road early and your tax will start from March 1st”

Simples

it is brand new car, so can i also declare that car was on road since January 2021?

flyandrain wrote: »
    i have not heard anything VAT yet. i have been waiting for new car for 16 weeks, 2% discount on VAT was initially agreed with dealer.

my query is that extra month if i should pay for that extra month, which has not been used at all?

That is the way motor tax works. If you register the car today then you have to pay the motor tax from the beginning of this month unless you declare the car off the road as outlined already.

The 2% VAT discount was not from the dealer, it was the Government who reduced the VAT from 23% to 21% so the price of the car was adjusted. It reverts back to 23% on March 1st. If you wanted your car registered in March so that you only paid motor tax from March then you would have paid more for the car as the VAT would have increased to 23%.

it is brand new car, so can i also declare that car was on road since January 2021?

It’s new, presumably just registered this week. Follow my above post and you’ll be fine. It won’t ask you to declare from January because it wasn’t registered then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

It doesn't matter if you declare the car off the road or not - you'll still be liable for the tax that's due for the month of February as the car was registered in February.

newmember? wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you declare the car off the road or not - you'll still be liable for the tax that's due for the month of February as the car was registered in February.

No, you won’t. That’s the whole point of declaring it off the road.

The point of declaring it off the road is to avoid future tax liability. If you declare it in a month while the car isn't taxed you can only declare it to affect the following months, you're still liable for the current month.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

It was registered to meet month end target.
    Happens all the time. Just declare it off the road for February as advised above and tax as normal in March. Newly registered vehicles can be declared off the road up to 10 days after registration. I work in the industry. We do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Cushtie wrote: »
    Happens all the time. Just declare it off the road for February as advised above and tax as normal in March. Newly registered vehicles can be declared off the road up to 10 days after registration. I work in the industry. We do it all the time.

There's no point going through that hassle just for the sake of 20 or 30 euro

I don't think the option for February will be even available if he tries to declare it off the road - sure if that was the case we'd all be doing it coming near the end of every month.

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There's no point going through that hassle just for the sake of 20 or 30 euro

Literally takes 30 seconds on the link given above.

newmember? wrote: »
    I don't think the option for February will be even available if he tries to declare it off the road - sure if that was the case we'd all be doing it coming near the end of every month.

It does for newly registered vehicles. We do it all the time.

It does for newly registered vehicles. We do it all the time.

Ah yeh...you'd think I'd remember seeing as I did the same before on a car I VRT'd! :eek:

They also saved the OP 2% extra in VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

Hi All,

Got a call from the dealer today and informed me that new car will be ready for collection on Monday, but i have not signed any papers yet.

and i do have all details of car for motor tax purposes via phone call.
    but i am not getting a car until 1st March. i know it does not cost much for one month road tax. but i have not got my car yet. :confused:
    You're jumping the gun a lot here OP by trying to tax a car you don't have yet, you cannot pay for tax in advance unless you want to pay the current month also.

The car is off the road sitting at the dealers until March, so don't tax it until March.

As others have said, you will need to declare it off the road for Feb before taxing in March. (I'm assuming the dealer has it already registered in your name in Feb.)

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/faq

Q14. I've just bought a vehicle - how can I make a declaration that I intend to keep it off the road for a while?

A14. If you have just bought a new vehicle or just acquired a second hand one and do not intend to use it immediately, you will have 21 days from the date of purchase (as specified in the registration document or the notification of transfer of vehicle ownership) to furnish a declaration of non-use. In that case, the declaration will commence from the first day of the month in which the sale takes place, or the first day of the month of registration in the case of new vehicles.
    Make sure you notify the seller that you are intending to declare the vehicle off the road and that you need him or her to ensure that the change of ownership is notified to the National Vehicle and Driver File as soon as possible.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Simples

it does not seem like working for me. got it declared last night. but it asked me pay for last month motor tax

just quick update for my matter, i end up paying 12 month tax plus one month in arrear this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

just quick update for my matter, i end up paying 12 month tax plus one month in arrear this morning

That's strange, did the dealer register it in your name more than 21 days ago?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You should not have had to. RF100 note 3E would have given you an exemption

Advertisement