Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skoda Octavia rear caliper carrier bolts

Options
  • 22-02-2021 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

Changing the rear discs on my '05 1.4 Octavia and the rear carrier bolts are driving me insane.

socket.jpg

According to many online posts, these are M14 bolts. I bought an M14 bit today in Galway (Only one I could find!) and it didn't fit. It seems nearly there, but not quite. It's definitely not M12 as that is too small.

There appears to be spline vs XZN/triple square bits available, so this could have been the issue. Either way, the exact model of bit I bought was;

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4147

bit2.jpg

bit.jpg

Anyone have this issue before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Hex head bolts on 02 TDI ( few years ago now so might be misremembering )

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Hi,

Changing the rear discs on my '05 1.4 Octavia and the rear carrier bolts are driving me insane.

socket.jpg

According to many online posts, these are M14 bolts. I bought an M14 bit today in Galway (Only one I could find!) and it didn't fit. It seems nearly there, but not quite. It's definitely not M12 as that is too small.

There appears to be spline vs XZN/triple square bits available, so this could have been the issue. Either way, the exact model of bit I bought was;

Look right,going by your pics. Goes without saying,you'll only get one chance at them.Clean out as much rust as you can with a small screwdriver & make sure to hammer in the spline as far as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newmember2

Hi,

socket.jpg

bit2.jpg

bit.jpg

Anyone have this issue before?

You're saying the one you bought (M14) is too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

newmember? wrote: »
    You're saying the one you bought (M14) is too big?

Yeah, it felt a bit too big, but only by a hair. Again, hard to tell as the access is very restricted. The more I think about it now, the more I think it could have been a slight bit of rust or whatever that was stopping it perhaps. As there are 12 points, any small bit of dirt would stop it from sliding in I presume..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

I would give the bolt a good soaking with penetrating oil and a good cleaning out of the head. it the 14 still doesnt fit, i would vently tap it in with hammer ... but make sure you have plenty of grip before you apply pressure.

if it feels like it is going to slip, then using a breaker bar that you can give a hammer blow to as you apply force ... may help move the bolt and avoid rounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

No need to remove carrier IIRC.
    Disk will come out without removing if the smaller disk.

Advertisement