Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike prices Ireland

Options
  • 19-02-2021 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys

Is it me or has the prices of motorbikes gone a wee bit insane in Ireland in the last 2 years?

I remember when I started riding in early 2018 I got my 2000 CB400 SF for 650 euro in good condition and recently I saw someone on Adverts asking for 1600 euro for a 96 hornet 250 that had been in a full on crash and wasn't running.

I was lucky enough to get a mint gsx650f for 3300 euro at the beginning of 2020 which I thought was too much at the time but even between then and now things have gotten so much worse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I think there has been an uptake in motorbikes in 2020 as people dont want to be using public transport. And with more parking restrictions in parts of dublin bikes make more sense. More demand = higher prices.

But also people selling on donedeal/adverts are putting their dream price on their bikes. Or a price to scare away the tire kickers. I would say there is a massive difference in the average donedeal/adverts asking price versus actual selling price.

But it still drives me nuts that the price of a new bike in ireland will always be >10% the going price in neighboring countries. We get gouged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The biking community here is much smaller compared to other countries for starters, so there's less bikes from the get go. The 2020 market has changed but I think its because there's less bikes on the market, people aren't inclined to sell at the moment due to the travel restrictions, there are less buyers too but still more than sellers. I sold 2 cars last year, both golf's, when searching Donedeal to see what the going rate was I couldn't believe the low number of golf's for sale. I sold a golf the year before and there were 100s.

Plus, most sellers are dreamers and think they can ask the same price as dealers. Their crashed blade, now turned street fighter went up in value because they had to put 1000s into it to get it roadworthy again so to them they can justify passing the cost onto the buyer. Street fighters aside, In reality, or IMO at least, extras and mods make a bike more desirable not more valuable.

The upside to this is you will get close to what you paid for your bike if you decide to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Think it has gotten worse since brexit. Both my bikes are UK imports and autotrader.co.uk used to be my go to site for all things 2 wheels. With across the pond now a dead duck courtesy of brexit I think a lot of lads reckon the uk imports are not a factor, therefore the market is smaller and they can charge a higher price for their bike.
    Lately its gone completely insane, especially with 90s trailies. Klr,Dr,Dominators in average condition going for over 4k. And then the delusional dope who thinks his bike has achieved "classic or iconic" status and is now highly sought after (see recent dd adds for fireblade and srad). Know its only an asking price but if its 2k over your budget then he's hardly likely to budge into reasonable territory. Mobile/autoscout.de are the new autotrader btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

This topic has been beaten to death in every online forum, I honestly think I've seen it brought up everyday.
    Reasons are:

1. Small market fewer bikes- supply/demand.

2. Brexit - gave people the misguided sense that we can no longer get bikes elsewhere at a reasonable price. Obviously forgetting about the content.

3. Some believe getting a bike from France, Germany or Italy is too much effort so people will pay more.

4. Lads are dreamers.

5. Some strange idea that their bike is rare or a one off when it's common as muck in a wet field.

6. Thinking mods add a huge value.

7. See point 4.

8. For some reason air intakes being held in place with cable ties equals mint - it doesn't, at all.

It has gotten extremely excessive lately, ridiculous prices being put on absaloute rot box's and standard common bikes.
    Who in their right mind would pay 4k for a 02 bandit?

Very little of value currently, some bikes that would be up for maybe €1800 and sell for €1400 - €1600 are now up for nearly €3000.
    There's bikes that two years ago would have been €1200 on a great day for 3x that.

It's a mess good value throughout Europe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrottopup

raven41 wrote: »
    Think it has gotten worse since brexit. Both my bikes are UK imports and autotrader.co.uk used to be my go to site for all things 2 wheels. With across the pond now a dead duck courtesy of brexit I think a lot of lads reckon the uk imports are not a factor, therefore the market is smaller and they can charge a higher price for their bike.
    Lately its gone completely insane, especially with 90s trailies. Klr,Dr,Dominators in average condition going for over 4k. And then the delusional dope who thinks his bike has achieved "classic or iconic" status and is now highly sought after (see recent dd adds for fireblade and srad). Know its only an asking price but if its 2k over your budget then he's hardly likely to budge into reasonable territory. Mobile/autoscout.de are the new autotrader btw...

Actually it's the 80's and 90's KLR's up on donedeal for over 3 grand that made me make this thread, been wanting to get a dirtbike or dual sport for a while so I can go off roading with my uncle and cousin but things are just ludicrous at the moment

3. Some believe getting a bike from France, Germany or Italy is too much effort so people will pay more.
    Mobile/autoscout.de are the new autotrader btw...

Was thinking of going over to the continent since before brexit but always thought it would be too much of a headache, I know bringing in a bike from the UK was relatively painless, what extra steps are there when it comes to France or Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mrottopup

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I don't know about Brexit but I am relatively knew to Biking (2 years) and I found second hand prices absolutely shocking. Hence why I bought my first bike as new despite everybody telling me not to. Didn't feel like spending 1.6k for a clapped out 15 year old 125cc

I sincerely hope you didn't go with a Chinese brand Lightning, I've only heard horror stories from people who bought lexmotos and keeways new

A buddy of mine had his centre stand break in two on his brand new keeway 125, no joke

Even though prices are ridiculous a 15 year old Honda will always beat a brand new Chinese bike

mrottopup wrote: »
    Actually it's the 80's and 90's KLR's up on donedeal for over 3 grand that made me make this thread, been wanting to get a dirtbike or dual sport for a while so I can go off roading with my uncle and cousin but things are just ludicrous at the moment

Was thinking of going over to the continent since before brexit but always thought it would be too much of a headache, I know bringing in a bike from the UK was relatively painless, what extra steps are there when it comes to France or Germany?

Honestly for the sake of ease I'd get one of the lads that do it for a living to do it for me, much easier and a lot have an incredible knowledge of bikes. Most will walk away if the bike is substandard and only charge you for the fuel of getting to it and their time.

Same craic as far as I'm aware but I've no idea what the motor tax situation is on the continent.
    No extra steps in regards vrting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

mrottopup wrote: »

Just to rub salt into the wounds:
    https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/kawasaki-klr-650-gasoline-grey-00788a9b-5375-c65d-e053-e250040afc59?cldtidx=6&cldtsrc=listPage&searchId=-1265619092

raven41 wrote: »

Buy it, have it shipped, vrt it and probably still double your money with the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Buy it, have it shipped, vrt it and probably still double your money with the current market.

Retro bikes would probally sell that for 3k

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    Retro bikes would probally sell that for 3k

Wouldn't doubt it, find some cheap drz's and you'll be rolling in it.

Wouldn't doubt it, find some cheap drz's and you'll be rolling in it.

could probally ask about 4k for the DR650se easily. There's none for sale anywhere,

goblin59 wrote: »
    could probally ask about 4k for the DR650se easily. There's none for sale anywhere,

They go up for 4k - 5.5k usually on the rare occasion they are put up for sale.

They go up for 4k - 5.5k usually on the rare occasion they are put up for sale.

**** haha.
    worth more than my BMW then.

Wouldn't sell it tbh, I wanted a bike I can do trail riding on, and in the scope of things, that bike has cost me about 2300 euro to do up to touring ready, maybe a little more as I'm getting the 320mm front brake disc upgrade sorted out at the moment and then have the Tusk luggage set up on the way too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

Do continental imports need a headlight change?

newmember? wrote: »
    Do continental imports need a headlight change?

Yea some will, think there are kits for some but it would be as handy just buy a headlight.

Seen a lovely zx 6r, even including transport and buying a headlight and vrting it you'd probably still have saved between €1000 - €2000, possibly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

After years out of the market Im likely to sell my bike in the next couple of months. And yeah from looking at asking prices it seems others are asking around what I paid for the same model 7 years ago which is actually insane really.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    After years out of the market Im likely to sell my bike in the next couple of months. And yeah from looking at asking prices it seems others are asking around what I paid for the same model 7 years ago which is actually insane really.

What ya got?
    Lads are asking not too many are getting by the looks of things, loads are around awhile.

Ive a 04 Yamaha Dragstar 650, Paid 3,000 for it in 2014 and have seen similar prices being asked for it today which is insane really.

Because its a cruiser and is one of the few 650cc bikes that are learner legal I suspect it fits the profile of a 50 something year old man getting into Sunday/summer biking for the very first time. I need about 1,200 just to pay for car insurance (first car policy in 8 years so Im going to get ridden big time) so I will put it up at 2,900 and see what happens for a few weeks. If no one bites I'll then drop it by a few hundred. Im probably hitting the market at a good time coming into March/April when summer bikers are looking to buy for the first time or get something different.

• Advertisement

Ive a 04 Yamaha Dragstar 650, Paid 3,000 for it in 2014 and have seen similar prices being asked for it today which is insane really.

Because its a cruiser and is one of the few 650cc bikes that are learner legal I suspect it fits the profile of a 50 something year old man getting into Sunday/summer biking for the very first time. I need about 1,200 just to pay for car insurance (first car policy in 8 years so Im going to get ridden big time) so I will put it up at 2,900 and see what happens for a few weeks. If no one bites I'll then drop it by a few hundred.

In good condition they hover around 2k - 3k normally for the last few years to be fair.
    Standard or moded, colour, the usual stuff has a tad to do with it too.
    Yea I hope you've got the lube handy mate because they'll love to see you looking for a quote.

Because its a cruiser and is one of the few 650cc bikes that are learner legal I suspect it fits the profile of a 50 something year old man getting into Sunday/summer biking for the very first time. I need about 1,200 just to pay for car insurance (first car policy in 8 years so Im going to get ridden big time) so I will put it up at 2,900 and see what happens for a few weeks. If no one bites I'll then drop it by a few hundred. Im probably hitting the market at a good time coming into March/April when summer bikers are looking to buy for the first time or get something different.

Its not A class though even though its 650cc, a friend of mine bought something similar and got caught out by that, only 28kw power, so its A2 category.

Car insurance sucks here tbh anyway!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had a look at www.mobile.de - can't see many bargains there tbh.

In good condition they hover around 2k - 3k normally for the last few years to be fair.
    Standard or moded, colour, the usual stuff has a tad to do with it too.
    Yea I hope you've got the lube handy mate because they'll love to see you looking for a quote.

yeah before I went looking I had thought its value is probably 2k but then saw others asking around 3k. If I got 2.5k Id be happy enough but if someone is willing to pay 3k then I wont say no either.

And yeah Im definitely going to get ridden by the car insurers, already had a scout around and Im looking at around 1,200 for anything that is 1.6l down to 900 for a 1.1l. Im a named driver on two other car policies of friends but they dont count that for anything. Had 8 years claims free on my own car policy and of course that counts for noting either. Its an absolute farce but Im forced into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I'd imagine that it would be a good time to buy, from good owners.

Bikes have been maintained in top condition or at least fawned.

Ramasun wrote: »
    I'd imagine that it would be a good time to buy, from good owners.

Bikes have been maintained in top condition or at least fawned.

Ah you know within two minutes of talking to someone whether they're a bike head or not and cared for the bike to be fair. Its always a good time to buy from a good owner. There are a serious amount of rot box's out there for mad money

The lad trying to sell an f4i for 3.2k on adverts and had it labelled as an rr is not a good example of a good owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I thought this was just me, I've been looking for a budget bike to return to after 20 odd years and while my budget is small (1500€) I used to remember buying bikes for a few hundred quid in my late teens & early twenties. Granted these were stuff that needed work and I'm happy to do that again but since biking is more of a hobby for me I'm finding it difficult to justify the money getting started again.

I thought this was just me, I've been looking for a budget bike to return to after 20 odd years and while my budget is small (1500€) I used to remember buying bikes for a few hundred quid in my late teens & early twenties. Granted these were stuff that needed work and I'm happy to do that again but since biking is more of a hobby for me I'm finding it difficult to justify the money getting started again.

what bike are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I like ujm bikes like I had when I was younger (cafe racer/bobber project maybe), but I'm open to anything really around 600cc to get me back on the road (CBRs or SVs). I could just have unrealistic expectations too.

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/suzuki/1996-suzuki/22881711

Probally needs a bit of work done on it at that price

Advertisement