Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Money talks. Nikita Mazepin will 'get away' with objectifying women for now. My personal view is that it his actions are completely unacceptable in this day and age regardless of what sport it is.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2020/12/25/formula-1-concerning-nikita-mazepin-development-emerges/

Have a read of this... So maybe not the close friends we are lead to believe. It is not ok to treat women, or anyone, like that. It's not ok to post it on social media either.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Money talks. Nikita Mazepin will 'get away' with objectifying women for now. My personal view is that it his actions are completely unacceptable in this day and age regardless of what sport it is.

God this is getting very old.

Won’t someone please think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

God this is getting very old.

Won’t someone please think of the children!

Maybe you are being ironic but I imagine a lot of people are thinking of the children. How they would feel if one of their children were involved in such an incident.

Clearly he was in the wrong as he has said so himself.

"I would like to apologise for my recent actions, both in terms of my own inappropriate behaviour, and the fact that it was posted on to social media," the 21-year-old said.

"I am sorry for the offence I have rightly caused and to the embarrassment I have brought to Haas F1 Team.
    "I have to hold myself to a higher standard as a Formula One driver and I acknowledge I have let myself and many people down. I promise I will learn from this."

elperello wrote: »
    Maybe you are being ironic but I imagine a lot of people are thinking of the children. How they would feel if one of their children were involved in such an incident.

Clearly he was in the wrong as he has said so himself.

"I would like to apologise for my recent actions, both in terms of my own inappropriate behaviour, and the fact that it was posted on to social media," the 21-year-old said.

"I am sorry for the offence I have rightly caused and to the embarrassment I have brought to Haas F1 Team.
    "I have to hold myself to a higher standard as a Formula One driver and I acknowledge I have let myself and many people down. I promise I will learn from this."

Standard “I’m sorry” from sportsperson who does something stupid and if they don’t do it they’ll have a worse outcome. In this case not keeping his seat.

He was stupid to publish or let whoever did publish the video.

But ultimately my point is this story has been done to death here.

The team have kept him on because they know it was not as big a deal as the snowflake cancel culture keyboard warriors would like you to believe.

It’s over, move on. Nothing to see here.

More actual F1 discussion would be my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The team have kept him on because they know it was not as big a deal as the snowflake cancel culture keyboard warriors would like you to believe.

The team have kept him on for financial reasons and the hoped for sale to his father.

The actions impact on F1s image and therefore is relevant - it's easy to label something you disagree with as 'snowflake cancel culture' but that shows a disconnect to world and commercial realities.

In the same cigarette sponsorship is.now frowned upon , Mazepins behaviour is no longer socially acceptable.

Personally I think Mazepin will do something stupid over the next season or two which he won't be able to buy himself out of.

• Advertisement

Standard “I’m sorry” from sportsperson who does something stupid and if they don’t do it they’ll have a worse outcome. In this case not keeping his seat.

This is F1 discussion because it pertains to one of the drivers and his relationship with his team.

What he did was never right at any time in any civilised social setting, nothing to do with snowflakes and cancel culture

Words have a meaning in my book. I'd say few of us ever had to make such a groveling apology in either a personal or professional context.

He says he was wrong, his team says he was wrong but he will still be on the grid for financial reasons.

You may say nothing to see but I'm sure some of us will remember.

This is F1 discussion because it pertains to one of the drivers and his relationship with his team.

What he did was never right at any time in any civilised social setting, nothing to do with snowflakes and cancel culture

Words have a meaning in my book. I'd say few of us ever had to make such a groveling apology in either a personal or professional context.

He says he was wrong, his team says he was wrong but he will still be on the grid for financial reasons.

It’s been discussed. Scroll back a few pages there.

It’s like flogging a dead horse at this stage.

It’s been discussed. Scroll back a few pages there.

It’s like flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Thanks for the tip, I did scroll back.

I see you have had your say.

I'm just having mine.

If you don't want to discuss the matter anymore that's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

To be fair we're not allowed discuss the racist things Hamilton has done or the reasons he should be cancelled so maybe Mazepin should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think that low level sexual harassment wasn’t a problem until relatively recently. It wouldn’t have even been reported as a problem.

I credit the snowflakes and wokies and PC gone mad, with changing the situation from that behaviour being fine to it being something that would have lost almost all drivers their job. Money still talks but it’s certainly better than before thanks to the bloody snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think that low level sexual harassment wasn’t a problem until relatively recently. It wouldn’t have been repeated as a problem.

I credit the snowflakes and wokies and PC gone mad, with changing the situation from that behaviour being fine to it being something that would have lost almost all drivers their job. Money still talks but it’s certainly better than before thanks to the bloody snowflakes.

It's the same crowd who wanted the Christmas songs "Fairytale of New York" and "Baby It's Cold Outside" to banned from the airwaves. Thankfully I've heard them plenty of times this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lol I forgot you think Mazepin is actually in F1 because of his "talent".

Its nothing to even do with your snowflake cancel culture rent-a-buzzword. He is there because of money and literally nothing else, the exact same criteria that got him into F2.

Not that you know that or any of the business aspect of F1 at all :pac:

It's the same crowd who wanted the Christmas songs "Fairytale of New York" and "Baby It's Cold Outside" to banned from the airwaves. Thankfully I've heard them plenty of times this year.

I’ve heard loads of people complain about people wanting to take those songs down, but I’ve yet to hear someone who actually wants them taken down.

That might be irrelevant though as they have made progress on what constitutes a low level sexual assault (not convinced they’re the same people but I’ll take your word on it). Until recent times Mazepin’s behaviour would have been fine but the snowflakes and SJWs have changed the situation on that front.

There are a lot of season review podcasts and it’s interesting to see they all reference the new or returning tracks. They all hope the new racks can be included in the calendar lile Mugello, Portimao, Imola and turkey. I think there’s no real chance that they will be retained. Some tracks just don’t have facilities for all the number of fans necessary to make a race viable. The fact is that tracks aren’t chosen because they’re good racetracks or make good races. They’re chosen because they pay the fee.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lol I forgot you think Mazepin is actually in F1 because of his "talent".

Its nothing to even do with your snowflake cancel culture rent-a-buzzword. He is there because of money and literally nothing else, the exact same criteria that got him into F2.

Even though we’ve been here before I’ll say it again this is F1, money is a massive part of it.

But, this does not take away from where he finished in F2.

If you don’t know look at the standings.

He is not the rubbish driver that the haters would like to make him out to be.

Points do not lie.

So yes ultimately this is absolutely and utterly everything to do with snowflake culture. There is zero question about this.

If it wasn’t Haas would have sacked him.

Money is important but so is reputation, sponsors, etc, etc...

And as you brought it up that you forgot I said such and such, you might also have forgotten that I said the opposite of what everyone else was saying at the time, that when the dust settles Haas will see this for what it is, a nothing incident, and move on with Mazepin on the starting grid.

Hate to say it but told ya so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

There are a lot of season review podcasts and it’s interesting to see they all reference the new or returning tracks. They all hope the new racks can be included in the calendar lile Mugello, Portimao, Imola and turkey. I think there’s no real chance that they will be retained. Some tracks just don’t have facilities for all the number of fans necessary to make a race viable. The fact is that tracks aren’t chosen because they’re good racetracks or make good races. They’re chosen because they pay the fee.

The circuits above would I believe have the facilities - Imola and Turkey are ex F1 circuits,Portimao Is newly build and Mugello has proven itself well capable of facilitating huge crowds for Moto GP (albeit that the infrastructure around the circuit would need to be improved ).

Alas there is very little chance of these circuits hosting a F1 race into the future unless the government's come up with $$$millions.

Lots of season ratings out - Leclerc has come 3rd in one or two polls which I found surprising

I think that low level sexual harassment wasn’t a problem until relatively recently. It wouldn’t have even been reported as a problem.

Even though we’ve been here before I’ll say it again this is F1, money is a massive part of it.

But, this does not take away from where he finished in F2.

If you don’t know look at the standings.

He is not the rubbish driver that the haters would like to make him out to be.

Points do not lie.

So yes ultimately this is absolutely and utterly everything to do with snowflake culture. There is zero question about this.

If it wasn’t Haas would have sacked him.

Money is important but so is reputation, sponsors, etc, etc...

And as you brought it up that you forgot I said such and such, you might also have forgotten that I said the opposite of what everyone else was saying at the time, that when the dust settles Haas will see this for what it is, a nothing incident, and move on with Mazepin on the starting grid.

Hate to say it but told ya so.

No wish to labour the points I made earlier bearing in mind the mods instruction.

At no point in my lifetime has it been considered normal to do what Mazepin has apologised for.

Woke, PC, and snowflake are just passing buzzwords good manners are forever.

I agree with Murphy that he is a handy driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Formula 1 should be a place where it doesn't matter if you're Republican, democrat, Left ,Right, centre, conservative, play boy, whatever.

You can forget all that and be a Formula 1 fan or participant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

flazio wrote: »
    Formula 1 should be a place where it doesn't matter if you're Republican, democrat, Left ,Right, centre, conservative, play boy, whatever.

You can forget all that and be a Formula 1 fan or participant.

Exactly, F1 wants to be inclusive. Having people running around grabbing people against their consent doesn't fit into this image. That's why mazepin has moved from being a Haas problem to a F1 problem, "minor" harassment being accepted ended in the 70s, will be interesting to see how Stefano Domenicali will handle this.

Harika wrote: »
    Exactly, F1 wants to be inclusive. Having people running around grabbing people against their consent doesn't fit into this image. That's why mazepin has moved from being a Haas problem to a F1 problem, "minor" harassment being accepted ended in the 70s, will be interesting to see how Stefano Domenicali will handle this.

There’s probably a way of entering a Conor McGregor gif here “you’ll do nothin!”.

Alas I don’t know how to enter that gombeen as a gif or anyone else for that matter but you get the picture.

It’s over, he’s on the grid, build a bridge.

• Advertisement

They should bring back the grid girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Would anyone be interested in a 2021 season prediction thread?

Seems that Pirelli are making more robust tyres for next year. They’ll be slower than this year but hopefully more able to race hard for longer.

Toto reckons that between the aero changes and the tyres, they’ll be a second slower.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2020-laptimes-changes-mercedes-wolff/4931924/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=RSS-ALL&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seems that Pirelli are making more robust tyres for next year. They’ll be slower than this year but hopefully more able to race hard for longer.

Toto reckons that between the aero changes and the tyres, they’ll be a second slower.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2020-laptimes-changes-mercedes-wolff/4931924/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=RSS-ALL&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

So they are going slower again and backwards.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So they are going slower again and backwards.

Mad attitude. They sped the cars up a few years ago and it made no difference to the racing. They increased speed through increased reliance on downforce meant they had even more difficulty following or racing.

I’d take a second a lap slower if they could follow closer and race more

Do more robust tyres mean less likely a tyre failure but go off and perform less, or less likely a failure and last forever? Cue boring races if the latter is the case.

Do more robust tyres mean less likely a tyre failure but go off and perform less, or less likely a failure and last forever? Cue boring races if the latter is the case.

What would make the tyres better? What’s the ideal scenario for tyres?

What would make the tyres better? What’s the ideal scenario for tyres?

If they had to last 6 races. Or the whole season like FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Red Bull now have the strongest driver pairing in FY 21.

At least RedBull have the balls to have two really strong drivers unlike Merc.

Really hope the strategy options it will give RedBull will make for an exciting championship as this year was a disaster.

From a team point of view Mercedes approach makes perfect sense. Safest way to win constructors and drivers championships with best car.

RB need two excellent drivers to challenge for the constructors championship

• Advertisement

I have no idea. Long gone are the days when there was refueling and drivers drove the cars to their limit all race. Take away refueling, add engine penalties etc and the spectacle has been reduced. It's really hard to know (from my very limited knowledge) how they would be able to manufacture tyres that are more robust but go off the cliff after a short X amount of laps. Maybe the suggestion to use all three compounds in a race would then ensure enough variables in a race to make it entertaining again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement