Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Targets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Following on from this, my last few runs have all been around the 6:15m/km mark but on Wednesday out of the blue I done a 5:41m/km against the wind and in the rain!! Wasn't even trying to run that fast, now to do it for all the kms of the run!!!

Be cautious about not falling into the trap at running all your runs flat out. Running easy on your easy days cannot be over emphasized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Haven't been in the right funk to put targets/Goals out there for 2021.

Spent most of January injured and feeling sorry for myself. February passed me by, a few sporadic runs sprinkled throughout.

Google showed me a 1 Yr anniversary photo, I was in Portugal with a training group and it was super experience. I can also see I was carrying more weight back then and I actually feel, even with lost fitness, that I'm fitter now compared to this time last year.

All time based goals.
    1M - sub 5'30 (ran 5'42)
    5k - sub 20 (ran 20'13 in Dec)
    Half - sub 90 (ran 95 in Oct or Nov on a challenging course)

Really looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Train slow to run fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

OOnegative wrote: »
    Be cautious about not falling into the trap at running all your runs flat out. Running easy on your easy days cannot be over emphasized.

cheers thanks for the advice. Agree 100%.

I struggle to run slow, start out fine and my pace just keeps increasing, even on friday after my warm up walk i set off at a pace which i thought was comfortable but was too fast for the time i wanted to run.
    I've set an average pace of 7'30" on my watch for tonights run so hopefully it will help me build up slow and steady.

Following on from this, my last few runs have all been around the 6:15m/km mark but on Wednesday out of the blue I done a 5:41m/km against the wind and in the rain!! Wasn't even trying to run that fast, now to do it for all the kms of the run!!!

When you say your run averaged the 6:15...what was the distance?

• Advertisement

When you say your run averaged the 6:15...what was the distance?

4 to 5kms for now. I only started running 7 weeks ago so building up time / distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

cheers thanks for the advice. Agree 100%.

I struggle to run slow, start out fine and my pace just keeps increasing, even on friday after my warm up walk i set off at a pace which i thought was comfortable but was too fast for the time i wanted to run.
    I've set an average pace of 7'30" on my watch for tonights run so hopefully it will help me build up slow and steady.

If you think you're running slowly, try run a bit slower again.

I remember someone telling me that a long a time ago on this board. Was a good piece of advice. It's really hard to run too slowly on an easy day.

crisco10 wrote: »

I remember someone telling me that a long a time ago on this board. Was a good piece of advice. It's really hard to run too slowly on an easy day.

I was told that as well, am going to try it on my run tonight.

Actually, can you recommend any tips for slowing your pace down Crisco?

You could try running to HR for a few months. At a very basic crude level subtract your age from 170 and then subtract another 5.

For example, (170- 30yr = 140 less 5 = 135bpm). So you keeping all your runs under 135 beats per minute. That should slow you right down to a crawl.

Some will have it at 220 or 180 but a sports scientist I go to works from 170.

Then run to time (not distance). Say, 60min, 45mins, 90mins five times a week. This is to build up your aerobic base. Then speedwork can be introduced in 12 weeks or so.

It is not as tedious as it sounds and I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thank you. 119bpm would be my goal so and looking at strava / sports tracker I could be jogging & walking tonight and for the next few weeks!

My run friday (if the heart rate zones on sprts tracker are any way close) were:
    Zone 1 2%
    Zone 2 16%
    Zone 3 8%
    Zone 4 20%
    Zone 5 50%
    Average BPM was 150.

Workout was 5 min brisk warm up walk, 25 mins running & 5 mins brisk warm down walk. Seems like it was of no real benefit to me at all.

Edit - going back over my last few runs of the C25K - most of them are in Zone 4.

Brilliant thank you. 119bpm would be my goal so and looking at strava / sports tracker I could be jogging & walking tonight and for the next few weeks!

My run friday (if the heart rate zones on sprts tracker are any way close) were:
    Zone 1 2%
    Zone 2 16%
    Zone 3 8%
    Zone 4 20%
    Zone 5 50%
    Average BPM was 150.

Workout was 5 min brisk warm up walk, 25 mins running & 5 mins brisk warm down walk. Seems like it was of no real benefit to me at all.

Edit - going back over my last few runs of the C25K - most of them are in Zone 4.

Use a HR chest strap. The HR off a watch alone will differ significantly.

I found my watch will give a much lower reading.

Went out for my run last night and said i would try keep my heart rate down as low as i could without walking
    Zone 1 1%
    Zone 2 11%
    Zone 3 23%
    Zone 4 65%
    Zone 5 0%
    Average heart rate was 140bpm and max was 160bpm

Felt much better than last friday and my runs of the last few weeks. I done the usual 5 min warm up walk, ran for 28 mins and 5 min warm down walk and done 5kms in total but felt i could have ran double that. Will do the same for Wednesday and Friday's runs as well.

Thanks very much for the great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

An alternative to getting bogged down in heart rate is to aim for "conversational pace". I.e. you could say a couple of sentences without having to gasp for breath or prepare to speak in any real way.
    I also try singing a few lines of a song, if you can sing on demand, your pace is pretty slow.

If you don't have enough breath for these things, slow down a bit and try again in a few 100 metres. I run a lot with a buggy (I may have mentioned it once or twice!) and on easy runs, I make a conscious effort to chat more to my passenger to keep tabs on my breathing.

An alternative to getting bogged down in heart rate is to aim for "conversational pace". I.e. you could say a couple of sentences without having to gasp for breath or prepare to speak in any real way.
    I also try singing a few lines of a song, if you can sing on demand, your pace is pretty slow.

If you don't have enough breath for these things, slow down a bit and try again in a few 100 metres. I run a lot with a buggy (I may have mentioned it once or twice!) and on easy runs, I make a conscious effort to chat more to my passenger to keep tabs on my breathing.

Jaysus...singing, chatting, buggies...I'm out of breath reading that...:pac:

That sounds like way more work and effort that setting an alarm on your watch to say, 119 bpm max but yeah OP conversation pace but only if your fellow runner wants to chat...you might get a "Shut the eff up..."

Unfortunately I use an Nike Apple watch for my workouts and it doesn't have a max BPM option on it.

However....I went out for my Week 8 / Run 2 early yesterday morning, didn't use the C25K podcasts, just put on music and started off on my 5 min warm up walk, then started jogging at the same pace as Monday. I settled into a comfortable pace (singing / howling away to myself!!) and ended up running 5k non stop for the first time!! All in Zones 3 & 4 if my HR is to be believed but I didn't struggle one bit and felt very fresh when i got home, I actually felt i could have done a lot more but very happy to have done the 5k - and in 33m40secs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Unfortunately I use an Nike Apple watch for my workouts and it doesn't have a max BPM option on it.

However....I went out for my Week 8 / Run 2 early yesterday morning, didn't use the C25K podcasts, just put on music and started off on my 5 min warm up walk, then started jogging at the same pace as Monday. I settled into a comfortable pace (singing / howling away to myself!!) and ended up running 5k non stop for the first time!! All in Zones 3 & 4 if my HR is to be believed but I didn't struggle one bit and felt very fresh when i got home, I actually felt i could have done a lot more but very happy to have done the 5k - and in 33m40secs as well.

For Apple Watch there is an excellent app called Workoutdoors - Enter your Max heart rate and Resting Heart rate and it will calculate your zones. You can set it to alert you when you change zones.
    Has tons of features - interval training, maps and is very configurable! It also integrates with Strava.

Starting my first 80/20 training 10k plan on Monday (from Matt Fitzgerald's book). Took up running about a year ago ... love it - but have injured myself twice (from over-doing it) .... trying the 80/20 plan to avoid injury and put some structure into my running.

Done another 5k friday night - similar time to wednesdays, slow and steady 33m:18sec. Very happy with that pace as i didn't feel out of breath on any of it.

Thats my Couch to 5k completed so am just going to concentrate on running the 5k 3 times a week and see where it goes from there. if the times come down - excellent, if not, i'm still running more than what i was 8 weeks ago!!

Feck it. Tweaked a calf toward the end on Sunday's 90min run. Quite sore and was limping Monday. It is getting better but probably nothing until Saturday I'd say...at least.

5 days off will be my longest spell off in some time. Had four days off last June to travel to a funeral over a weekend. But nothing injury wise since the summer of 2018 when I had to let a 'runner's knee' heal up. Good run of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Feck it. Tweaked a calf toward the end on Sunday's 90min run. Quite sore and was limping Monday. It is getting better but probably nothing until Saturday I'd say...at least.

5 days off will be my longest spell off in some time. Had four days off last June to travel to a funeral over a weekend. But nothing injury wise since the summer of 2018 when I had to let a 'runner's knee' heal up. Good run of it really.

Don't rush back. As you say, you've had a good run. A few days isn't going to kill you. Heck a couple of weeks even. That's where I am now. Been injured for a couple of weeks; tried a tiny run on Monday before Tuesday's physio visit.

If ever there was a time to give tweaks a bit of time, it's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Itziger wrote: »
    Don't rush back. As you say, you've had a good run. A few days isn't going to kill you. Heck a couple of weeks even. That's where I am now. Been injured for a couple of weeks; tried a tiny run on Monday before Tuesday's physio visit.

If ever there was a time to give tweaks a bit of time, it's now.

Hope it's nothing too serious D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I had intended to post in January. While mulling over what I’d like to focus on I managed to do something to my back. That took care of Jan and the start of Feb. I was back running for a week and a half when I took a bad fall and hurt my knee and arm. So here I am the end of March and only back running a week. Targets this year will be to stay injury free for the next 9 months , to run 4 times a week and the one I really want to break 2h for the half. Not sure the last is doable as it would have to be a proper race no virtual races for me. ðŸ˜

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I had intended to post in January. While mulling over what I’d like to focus on I managed to do something to my back. That took care of Jan and the start of Feb. I was back running for a week and a half when I took a bad fall and hurt my knee and arm. So here I am the end of March and only back running a week. Targets this year will be to stay injury free for the next 9 months , to run 4 times a week and the one I really want to break 2h for the half. Not sure the last is doable as it would have to be a proper race no virtual races for me. ðŸ˜

Well that’s one target I won’t meet - took another bad fall today - skinned knees and face and knee is very swollen. 2021 is turning into a ****e running year 😧 2 bad falls in a month🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Well that’s one target I won’t meet - took another bad fall today - skinned knees and face and knee is very swollen. 2021 is turning into a ****e running year 😧 2 bad falls in a month🀪

Hope you are ok and nothing serious...
    '21 is turning into another crap year !!

4Ad wrote: »
    Hope you are ok and nothing serious...
    '21 is turning into another crap year !!

Tks - Sore and sorry for myself and fairly shook - kinda flummoxed why I fell - in both cases it just happened . Family are “suggesting” I need to retire from running at any rate I’ll be sticking to grass (for a while )!when I am back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Missed this thread this year. Away for work for last few months. Tried hard to keep fitness up. Went out this morning after getting home yesterday. Ran a 10km and smashed my 1k, 2k, 2mile, 5km and 10km PB. 44.26 for the 10km, down from 47.38. suitably impressed.

2021 goals? Marathon if a physical event goes ahead, and maybe, maybe an ultra event of some sort.

I ran my first 10k on friday night, done it at a slow comfortable pace and finished it no problems at all. I was absolutely delighted to do it as I've only started running early February. I've been doing my 5kms 3 times a week and last monday I done 6k, Wednesday I done 8k so said i'd see how friday goes and done the 10K. I kept my pace to an average 7'31"/km with my average heart rate of 142bpm (using heart rate monitor) and it took me 75 minutes.

Am going back to my 5k's for a few weeks and will do another 10k at the end of the month. Want to build it up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,965 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    So hadnt set it as a target but set a new 5k PB today, 20:41. Delighted.
    Am going to do a 5k specific plan now and see how it goes in 8 weeks.

Then will look at the 10k

I had changed this and didnt bother doing a 5k plan, had done a 10k plan and plan was to break my PB of 43:01 on the weekend of 24/25 April. But hasnt gone to plan really and have lost a bit of motivation for it.

I think I am at my best when I have high volume of training as opposed to tempos, speedwork etc. I've always been a marathon runner really, have only set my 10k and 5k times when training for those so just not feeling it now.

I have started mountain running so think I will do the 10k but not put too much focus or worry on it and just make sure I am enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,965 ✭✭✭✭event

My Target times

10k - 42:59 - PB is 43:01
    Marathon - 3:37:59 - PB is 3:38:21

But ideally, I need to get myself back to motivated to run.

I have also signed up to my first Try-a-Tri in June so I need to learn how to swim really.
    So hadnt set it as a target but set a new 5k PB today, 20:41. Delighted.
    Am going to do a 5k specific plan now and see how it goes in 8 weeks.

Then will look at the 10k
    I had changed this and didnt bother doing a 5k plan, had done a 10k plan and plan was to break my PB of 43:01 on the weekend of 24/25 April. But hasnt gone to plan really and have lost a bit of motivation for it.

I think I am at my best when I have high volume of training as opposed to tempos, speedwork etc. I've always been a marathon runner really, have only set my 10k and 5k times when training for those so just not feeling it now.

I have started mountain running so think I will do the 10k but not put too much focus or worry on it and just make sure I am enjoying it

So went out and did my 10K today

42:33 so over the moon.
    Also managed to knock 1 second off my 5K from earlier, its now at 20:40.

Will leave these distances now and not sure what the summer will hold. No definite plan, football be back soon so will only have one more year of that before age retires me :pac:

• Advertisement

Went for a steady 60min run last Thursday night (13.5km covered with progressive 9min w/u and 9c/d) and inadvertently brought home a 10k PB..in 43.29 without even sweating and dark conditions plus crossed two busy road.

Not run a 10k event since Oct 2017 so I know that I can come home in at least 41:something if I went for it.

Waiting for my latest Hoka Cliftons to arrive so have had to run in the Next% Vaporfly for the last week....am destroying my usual routes/Strava segments time wise..PBs all over the place as I would only wear the Vaporfly for events.

Feel like I have to qualify every run with a "Vaporfly assisted" asterisk.

Advertisement