Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts on Mercedes E220 Coupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭jmreire

Another update.

So brake lines/hoses replaced (with some copper/aluminium hoses, apparently will never need to be done again). Handbrake failed on the nct too, and I forgot to mention it and they didn't look at the folded over side of the fail sheet, so had to bring it back again for that. In the process of changing that, more trouble was found.

Ended up having to replace the rear brake discs, drums, shields and pads. All were bad, shields were rusted and bent, scraping off the drums/discs. Another €420.

Booked in for the nct again as I missed the retest because it took a week for the parts to come in. But should pass now.

Finally got the part number for the blower motor. I rang Mercedes for the craic for prices. €420 for the motor and €480 for the regulator, but im sure its just the motor is gone. Trying to find a cheaper replacement but having trouble. Most are for LHD, so won't fit, and there's a choice between standard blower motor for about €100 delivered, or electric for about €300 delivered. Both look the same. No breakers have a second hand one, and any second hand ones I can find on eBay all seem to have some sort of damage.

Anyone have anybody in the trade that could help me pinpoint the exact one needed? It's a BEHR one. But can't find any of them: BEHR v2425002 w204 rl2
    Have you tried the link that I sent you earlier both to identify the part and offer alternative ( but MB compliant ) parts and pricing?
    Here it is again for you in any case.
    PartsClub.info
    MERCEDES-BENZ Parts Catalog
    Check it out and see if it helps you.
    BTW, did you scan it, and if so, what faults codes showed in relation to the blower problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

keep the car a good while , the cars you will look at moving into, will still be depreciating significantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No fault showing up, and I have parts identified but I can't say for certain if they're the right ones. They both look the same but are 200 in the difference.

Mechanic mate of mine reckons it's wiring more than anything. Now I need a good electrical mechanic to test before splashing out.

No fault showing up, and I have parts identified but I can't say for certain if they're the right ones. They both look the same but are 200 in the difference.

Mechanic mate of mine reckons it's wiring more than anything. Now I need a good electrical mechanic to test before splashing out.

Did you identify the parts from the link I sent you? In my 2010 E class ( same mechanicals as yours, I think) there was an booster electric heater and blower buried deep in the innards of the dash. Once switched on, in less than a minute it would be blowing out hot air. This switched on when MAX heat setting was on, and it would switch off automatically when the water temp rose. Then it stopped, and I never got around to fixing it. Didn't bother the car ( or me ) one bit. ( see pic for codes ) Is the one you are having the problem with operated by the switch on the console on the dash? You flip it up ( or down) as needed to activate it? Just like the air blower in any other car ?

Not getting any error codes, which is the strange thing. PN is BEHR V2425002 W204 RL2. When I check that, I get both the standard and electric blower motors back. Controlled by the normal buttons on the dash, up/down to turn on/up/down through the 5 levels. Doesn't matter which one it's on, it mostly doesn't work, and randomly comes on and off again a few seconds later every now and then. I don't think it's the regulator, as when it does come on it goes as per the speed setting. Beginning to think it's wiring more than anything at this stage. Gonna bring it to an auto-electrician to check out before I spend money on a part.

It's annoying especially in rainy weather as the windscreen fogs up easily (even after de-greasing and cleaning) and I have to be driving for any air to come out of it, and even then it doesn't always clear it. Opening the windows clears it, but in rain that's not possible because of the shape of the car, rains runs off the rood and in the open window. A/C works, but again without the blower so when I'm driving and it fogs up, I turn on the A/C and it clears it within a few seconds, but only if I'm in motion. If stopped in traffic, or just stopped/parked, it fogs up just as quick.

• Advertisement

Not getting any error codes, which is the strange thing. PN is BEHR V2425002 W204 RL2. When I check that, I get both the standard and electric blower motors back. Controlled by the normal buttons on the dash, up/down to turn on/up/down through the 5 levels. Doesn't matter which one it's on, it mostly doesn't work, and randomly comes on and off again a few seconds later every now and then. I don't think it's the regulator, as when it does come on it goes as per the speed setting. Beginning to think it's wiring more than anything at this stage. Gonna bring it to an auto-electrician to check out before I spend money on a part.

It's annoying especially in rainy weather as the windscreen fogs up easily (even after de-greasing and cleaning) and I have to be driving for any air to come out of it, and even then it doesn't always clear it. Opening the windows clears it, but in rain that's not possible because of the shape of the car, rains runs off the rood and in the open window. A/C works, but again without the blower so when I'm driving and it fogs up, I turn on the A/C and it clears it within a few seconds, but only if I'm in motion. If stopped in traffic, or just stopped/parked, it fogs up just as quick.

Yes,getting an auto-electrician to check it out is what I'd be inclined to do too,, rather than throwing parts at it. And when he is gone that far into it, he could remove the actual fan/motor ( they are all the one unit, as far as I know) and you will get the correct part Nr from that. The fact that its not showing any fault codes would indicate that the Regulator is OK.

Here's hoping. I'm able to remove the part, quite simple really, it's just above the passenger footrest, so the PN above is the correct one, but still returns 2 results and both products look the same. Next week I'll know more hopefully.

Here's hoping. I'm able to remove the part, quite simple really, it's just above the passenger footrest, so the PN above is the correct one, but still returns 2 results and both products look the same. Next week I'll know more hopefully.

Very easy to check it out once its removed from the car...and also check the feed cables. The electrician will have the proper circuit testers / volt meters for the job...with older car electric's, you could connect any 12v supply to the fan motor, and straight away, you would know what the problem was, and similarly, you could hook a simple bulb tester to the input cables, and check them out that way. But I'd be very reluctant to use these methods on any car with a canbus system.

Not much to update, all work completed, fan replaced and working fine, got one delivered from the UK in 3 days and handy enough to put in.

But I discovered something else. I was googling to see how much I've lost if I was to sell now. I've still paid less than what they're going for, but I'm a but upset.

My car, 10Xxxxxx is an E220 CDI, tax is 560 or something. 10MH15519 for sale, is an E250 CDI and only €390 for the year... confused. Literally the same car but with full leather and parking sensors and it's cheaper to tax... can't figure that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not much to update, all work completed, fan replaced and working fine, got one delivered from the UK in 3 days and handy enough to put in.

But I discovered something else. I was googling to see how much I've lost if I was to sell now. I've still paid less than what they're going for, but I'm a but upset.

My car, 10Xxxxxx is an E220 CDI, tax is 560 or something. 10MH15519 for sale, is an E250 CDI and only €390 for the year... confused. Literally the same car but with full leather and parking sensors and it's cheaper to tax... can't figure that one.

Just a newer, lower emissions version of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They had a Blue Efficiency model which had small tweaks to the car's aerodynamics and engine tuning that resulted in lower Co2 emissions. These were targeted at business drivers mainly because they attracted lower BIK tax in the UK.

This is one of them:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e250/27128618

My older MB 2010 E200 was €390 to tax, the newer one I have, a 2014 E 220, full leather plus one or two extras, and despite higher HP, is only €200. Its all down to configuration and engine emissions.

Yeah, but isn't the 2010 E250 basically the 2010 E220 with parking sensors and some other extras? Didn't think the actual engine itself was different? Just annoying, a "better" version of the same car costs less to tax. No wonder I got this one cheaper than what they were going for at the time!

Car wash broke off some of the trim on the rear bumper, managed to stick it back on but it's not perfect so it's annoying me. Tempted at some stage to get the rear bumper and exhaust from the 350 line, just so I can have the dual exhausts, looks better. But she's grand for now. Fingers crossed all the big jobs are done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The E200, E220 and E250 were all the same 2.1 litre engine but had different power outputs.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The E200, E220 and E250 were all the same 2.1 litre engine but had different power outputs.

Yes the OM651 engine. and all mappable if you wanted to increase the power.

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes the OM651 engine. and all mappable if you wanted to increase the power.

Tempted to get my own remapped and to exclude the CAT. But more for the power and MPG gains!

Tempted to get my own remapped and to exclude the CAT. But more for the power and MPG gains!

If you google ( where would we be without it??? ) MB OM541 engine remap, you will get plenty of info on it. Lots of people get it done. Personally, I was happy with the 2010 E 200 @138BHP, and even happier with the 2014 E220 @170 BHP. And this one, according to the service history , in the last MB service, the software was "Updated"....IE, Emission limitation, same as VW/VAG. So less power, less MPG. And it would not have happened if I had owned the car at the time, but thats the way it. Even so, I'm happy with it, plenty of power for what I want. If you decide to go for it, let us know how it works out for you, OK?

I'm definitely up to doing it, and I have mates who constantly get their most recent cars tuned too, and they swear by it. But it's my luck that I'd do it and something catastrophic will go wrong! And like yourself, there's plenty pep and I've a decent 36mpg considering I don't do motorways and it's mostly 80kph roads. But if I can improve that for little money for the duration I'll have the car, it's a no brainer. How does insurance work with that? If it still requires a hush hush approach, I probably won't again, just because of Murphys Law.

I'm definitely up to doing it, and I have mates who constantly get their most recent cars tuned too, and they swear by it. But it's my luck that I'd do it and something catastrophic will go wrong! And like yourself, there's plenty pep and I've a decent 36mpg considering I don't do motorways and it's mostly 80kph roads. But if I can improve that for little money for the duration I'll have the car, it's a no brainer. How does insurance work with that? If it still requires a hush hush approach, I probably won't again, just because of Murphys Law.

As I mentioned, I'm happy at this stage of my life with what is factory supplied, so I can't tell you from personal experience how the "Finer" details work out. But there's definitely a few things you need to ask about. For the insurance, they do ask if the vehicle has been modified in any way..but how anyone would be able to tell it was mapped or not, would need to contact some one who has the expertise and the equipment to check it. As for removing the CAT, how would that affect the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

They can outrun the guards anyway going by what happened on the M50 last night! :pac::pac::eek::P

• Advertisement

:rolleyes::D:D:D
    Gavman84 wrote: »
    They can outrun the guards anyway going by what happened on the M50 last night! :pac::pac::eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Might as well resurrect this thread. Starting to look again at these; probably a 2012 model with the face lift steering wheel (but not front end). Would this place be ok to fire up a few done deal ads for opinions?

Maybenever wrote: »
    Might as well resurrect this thread. Starting to look again at these; probably a 2012 model with the face lift steering wheel (but not front end). Would this place be ok to fire up a few done deal ads for opinions?

As far as I'm concerned, fire away and welcome, its just MB owners sharing their experiences , and not a dedicated MB forum as such.And if you enter Cars in the search bar, you will see a lot if posts about a whole range of cars and their issues, inc. advice on purchasing as wel.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Hi all, further to the post above, I noticed this car today: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-mercedes-e220-amg-sport-automatic/27905222?campaign=3

Am I seeing things or is the mileage on the car higher than the ad?

Maybenever wrote: »
    Hi all, further to the post above, I noticed this car today: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-mercedes-e220-amg-sport-automatic/27905222?campaign=3

Am I seeing things or is the mileage on the car higher than the ad?

2012 E class Coupe AMG......thats some car allright. If you can see the mileage on the dash, fair play to you...nothing wrong with your eyesight!!!! :rolleyes:
    and full service history as well.Seems like a good buy too at €10'995. I paid €16000 for a 2014 Eclass 220 cdi last year, saloon , not coupe or AMG, and with 120'000 Miles. If you do decide to go for it, make sure that you check out the service history, and have someone run an OBD scan on it before committing to buy.From what I can see though, its fine. The mileage would not bother me, once it was properly serviced. Some of these OM651 engines gave timing chain issues at around the 100'000 Miles. See if the service history mentions anything about that. Let us know how it goes.

That's a stunning looking example in fairness, looks very shiny inside and out! Maybe the ad is in miles but the clock is in km (doesn't add up though)? Mine's a 2010 and all clocks are km but you can change it to read miles in the total. They might have typed 5 instead of 7 by accident too.

That's a stunning looking example in fairness, looks very shiny inside and out! Maybe the ad is in miles but the clock is in km (doesn't add up though)? Mine's a 2010 and all clocks are km but you can change it to read miles in the total. They might have typed 5 instead of 7 by accident too.

BTW, how is your one going???:)

jmreire wrote: »
    BTW, how is your one going???:)

Great yeah! Hopefully all the big-ish work is behind me now, and it's just services going forward! Still have intentions of getting the wheels resprayed/fixed from scuffs, and I do want to change the rear bumper because of some "scratches" (more like small chunk of paint) in the middle of the bumper. I intend to swap it with a decent one from a E350 or thereabouts, and use the dual exhaust from one of them too. Would look that little bit nicer with the dual exhausts. But intentions are one thing...

Mechanically, it's sound. It still will cut out when putting into D or R if I haven't started it for a few days, not a big issue tbh but it's something I need to get checked just in case. But it's rare I don't take her out for a spin every 2 days at least.

Still the best car I've ever owned by a long shot.

For shigs and gigs, I went onto the Merc site to customise my 2021 E-Class coupe, you know, for when I win the lotto. Decided on an E300, but had most extras aside. Only €108,000 by the time I was finished, but I'd probably never stop driving it so would be like a house! Fun tool on their site that reminds me of how poor I am!

Great yeah! Hopefully all the big-ish work is behind me now, and it's just services going forward! Still have intentions of getting the wheels resprayed/fixed from scuffs, and I do want to change the rear bumper because of some "scratches" (more like small chunk of paint) in the middle of the bumper. I intend to swap it with a decent one from a E350 or thereabouts, and use the dual exhaust from one of them too. Would look that little bit nicer with the dual exhausts. But intentions are one thing...

Mechanically, it's sound. It still will cut out when putting into D or R if I haven't started it for a few days, not a big issue tbh but it's something I need to get checked just in case. But it's rare I don't take her out for a spin every 2 days at least.

Still the best car I've ever owned by a long shot.

For shigs and gigs, I went onto the Merc site to customise my 2021 E-Class coupe, you know, for when I win the lotto. Decided on an E300, but had most extras aside. Only €108,000 by the time I was finished, but I'd probably never stop driving it so would be like a house! Fun tool on their site that reminds me of how poor I am!
    You should consider buying a iCarsoft OBD scanner,,,simple to use, and for nagging issues like cutting out, can very quickly point you in the right direction fault wise. Back in 2018 with my first MB, I bought the iCarsoft MB11, which while basic, did what I wanted it to do, which was checking for fault codes etc. And its pretty safe to use, as it only allows you to read fault codes, but not tio dig too deep intio electronic modules. Since then I moved to a more advanced one, the iCarsoft CR Pro, which aside from all that the MB11 does, it allows you to perform certain actions like DPF regen, and other functions too.So you have to be a bit carefull with it.
    Same here with dreaming,,,( assuming a EuroMillions win...) But I was looking at the MB EV, the EQC. If you are into electronic gadgetry, and like a dash that looks like the cockpit of an Airbus A380, then the EQC is the car for you!!! But meanwhile, ( and for the forseeable future ) the 2014 E clas 220 will do fine.:D

• Advertisement

New, minor for now issue. Twist function on the control knob stopped working. Apparantly common on some models. Plastic shaft is the cause. $20 for a replacement metal one, job seems handy enough. Still works with push down/directions so not the worst, but that could go suddenly too. Other than that, she passed the NCT first time, mini service after it (usually fail the NCT, service/fix issues, pass NCT) and all going good otherwise.

Got Autoglym Leather Care, really brings up the leather inside, so recommend that stuff! Now just need to justify the €450+ it'll cost to give it a showroom detail!

Advertisement