Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

First one went into service this morning on the 25A.

More interestingly; it was WH2 that made the first ever revenue earning service on the route today.

What happened to WH1. Is that having more driver testing done or not?

The first of the new AH's have arrived in Broadstone 3 days ago. It's said that the bus is brand new but built to a London spec.

It looks brilliantly well. No decals have been painted on it though when the photograph shows it on Darren's Hall Flickr.

The livery application on the front of the Enviro is very poor just like it is on Dublin Bus Streetlites and SGs. I

Inside looks not much different from an Enviro 400 and the colour scheme inside is pretty awful too with black seat backs blue seats and yellow seat handles. Hurts my eyes.

For all its fault at least the NTA specified front liveries don't age a bus like Dublin Bus and they have better internal colour schemes too.

Enviro 400MMC is a much better bus than its predecessor but the internal spec is pretty disappointing and doesn't show off the step change that the new version is in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

devnull wrote: »
    The livery application on the front of the Enviro is very poor just like it is on Dublin Bus Streetlites and SGs. I

Inside looks not much different from an Enviro 400 and the colour scheme inside is pretty awful too with black seat backs blue seats and yellow seat handles. Hurts my eyes.

For all its fault at least the NTA specified front liveries don't age a bus like Dublin Bus and they have better internal colour schemes too.

Enviro 400MMC is a much better bus than its predecessor but the internal spec is pretty disappointing and doesn't show off the step change that the new version is in reality.

Have the NTA given up now on putting DB buses into their livery I wonder or what's the story.

I'm not sure what they are thinking with the black on the back of the seats grey would be far better. I wonder will the NDA be complaining if a full order was to be made for buses with that colour scheme although there does seem to be a lot of black glass or perspex in the design internally. I like the new interior on the GAI buses myself but I've noticed a few times now that the seats have been replaced by DB style ones which looks awful assuredly to replace damaged seats. Also is it just me or is the drivers cab a lot lower to the ground than on the SGs for any other bus in the fleet.

By the looks of things the seats are the same ones which are on the the most recent dual door BE VWDs. I've heard they are supposed to be more comfortable than the current DB ones on the GTs and SGs.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what they are thinking with the black on the back of the seats grey would be far better. I wonder will the NDA be complaining if a full order was to be made for buses with that colour scheme although there does seem to be a lot of black glass or perspex in the design internally.

It's just the black / very dark grey seat backs, garish yellow handles in particular look awful together in particular and that's before you add the various dark greys around the window etc that also don't fit in. Also not sure the moquette even fits in that interior design either to be honest. It's a real mish mash.

Personally I'd have gone with a lighter gray for the seat backs and left the handles as a darker grey like it is on GAI but kept the poles yellow. The irony is there is all these dark features inside, and the one place that really needs it, the outside of the bus for the lights, doesn't have them and the bus instantly looks dated because of this, just like the WS class and SG class do. Notice how superior and modern GAI vehicles look with black lights and Wright Logo.
    By the looks of things the seats are the same ones which are on the the most recent dual door BE VWDs. I've heard they are supposed to be more comfortable than the current DB ones on the GTs and SGs.

A move to the Esteban Civic V2 for seating is a positive move as they are hands down a better seat than the current seat used. Not quite up there with the higher back Civic V3 that the older Bus Eireann VWDs use (which is not really suitable for an operator like DB anyway) but a decent improvement over what is there at the moment.

More interestingly; it was WH2 that made the first ever revenue earning service on the route today.

What happened to WH1. Is that having more driver testing done or not?

The first of the new AH's have arrived in Broadstone 3 days ago. It's said that the bus is brand new but built to a London spec.

It looks brilliantly well. No decals have been painted on it though when the photograph shows it on Darren's Hall Flickr.

I believe both buses were in service today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Finally managed to get a go on WH2 on a 25A this morning. Seems so much more solid and quieter (fixtures and fittings wise) than a regular SG.

I do like the idle shut off as well.

What's the story with the other HEVs that they were to get outside of WH1 and 2?

Edit: Just on SG503 now and it's like night and day in ride comfort and noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

What's the story with the other HEVs that they were to get outside of WH1 and 2?

Rest assured they are on the way. One of them is being used for training drivers at the moment. The process will take a few weeks.

They are suppplied by Alexander-Dennis and carry the fleet code AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rest assured they are on the way. One of them is being used for training drivers at the moment. The process will take a few weeks.

After Hours is a different ball game ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

Rest assured they are on the way. One of them is being used for training drivers at the moment.

( Pic hunters )If you're passing by Coyngham rd garage you can see it. looks different to the SG type, like something I saw over in Asia last year. nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Yeah, I saw it pulling out of Connyngham Road this morning doing driver training. It's painted in the colours of the current HEV's on the 25A but has no markings. Has the proper low windows upstairs, not the uncomfortable SG ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

One of the AHs passed me at the SCR this morning.

Then I got on a 79A and WH1 and WH2 were behind it.

A smorgasbord of HEVs this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I got WH2 on the 51X last Friday. An unusual allocation. Maybe a one-off, but who knows.

I liked the journey. They're quicker than an SG, especially when moving off. They're also louder than I thought. Apart from the loud whistle, they don't sound unlike an SG.

The bus drew some interest too from passengers, some passers by, and other bus drivers. Even on Monday, a couple of regular passengers were talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was on one of these twice this week on the 25. I have to say I found it a very bumpy ride as the restart after each stop had quite a jolt and the main door opened and closed on each restart too. It was also quite loud, and rattly, and felt like (though this may just be how it seemed rather than being a real issue) it struggled going up the hill out of Lucan village.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've just seen a photo of AH3 on Darren Hall's Flickr page. It looks terrific.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/48374823876/in/faves-91538517@N02/lightbox/

I've just seen a photo of AH3 on Darren Hall's Flickr page. It looks terrific.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/48374823876/in/faves-91538517@N02/lightbox/

Is that in service or just testing the display?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

More pictures of the AHs here:-

http://dublinbuses.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Is that in service or just testing the display?

It's was doing driver training at Conyngham Road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

That cab fan would be most welcome in this heat! The RV cab used to be like furnace when it was hot out.

Would look far better with the lights in black and the reg plate part in black, as most other operators of the MMC do.

Just noticed no front opening windows like on GT and SG.

Have to say these look like they have the edge on the Gemini 3s for me anyway if they made a few changes to them such as removing the the black seatbacks and replacing them with grey. Also think the seats would look better with TFI moquette which I hope is rolled out to DB in the coming years aswell. According to another website the driver feeback has been overwhelmingly positive on these.

• Advertisement

Video of WH1 here

Just so anyone planning on doing a video on a db it's actually illegal and needs to be booked in advance to do so.....

I'm not messing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Just so anyone planning on doing a video on a db it's actually illegal and needs to be booked in advance to do so.....

I'm not messing either.

There's nothing "illegal" about recording on DB without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I'm not messing either.

I assume the lads snorting coke, smoking crack and drinking cans down the back on the 40 is illegal too. Funnily enough never see any DB employees rushing to stop that particular practice. However, a quiet bus enthusiast filming a new bus on his phone, call the inspector car! :D

GM228 wrote: »
    There's nothing "illegal" about recording on DB without permission.

Go and look up the bye laws....
    It actually is.

Obviously none of you have been harassed and had videos and photos taken on different occasions.

Look GM think of it as you like but I'm well aware of the rules and bye laws

Obviously none of you have been harassed and had videos and photos taken on different occasions.

Look GM think of it as you like but I'm well aware of the rules and bye laws

Where?
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/

• Advertisement

Advertisement