Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan rail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cougar

Docklands station will only get busier with the amount of building currently going on in the area. Obviously extra capacity will address some of the overcrowding issues during peak times. I'd expect a rail link to Navan would be massively popular at peak times. However, with our track record of delivering expensive infrastructure projects it's likely this project will keep getting deferred as there is no political will to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭roadmaster

L1011 wrote: »
    The peak time services are completely rammed in the peak direction. Were they expecting people to hang off the outsides?

This is one thing I don’t understand is I have heard several people saying it’s not busy yet anytime I use it like you say the trains are rammed with people in. Besides it does not operate between 10 and 4 so that’s bound to hit the figures

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roadmaster wrote: »
    This is one thing I don’t understand is I have heard several people saying it’s not busy yet anytime I use it like you say the trains are rammed with people in. Besides it does not operate between 10 and 4 so that’s bound to hit the figures

The anti-peak direction is vastly less busy than Maynooth Connolly trains but that's because they serve Maynooth mostly - the college provides the reverse time flow. Also no connections to DART.

Even the last train in and the first train out are busy in the peak direction, with the core ones crush capacity Monday-Thursday at least

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I've noticed an increase in the anti peak direction in the last year. Not major but definitely more than previous

roadmaster wrote: »

I get the 6.50 train from the m3 and it's jammed every morning by Ashfield. I get off at broombridge and it's difficult to actually get off at that station if you're halfway down a carriage. In the evening I have arrived at Docklands to find the train packed and more people trying to get on. If a train service was available from Navan I'd use it rather than driving 30 minutes to the M3, but given that the train service from Navan was supposed to be available by the time the motorway was completed as an alternative, I won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

The anti-peak direction is vastly less busy than Maynooth Connolly trains but that's because they serve Maynooth mostly - the college provides the reverse time flow. Also no connections to DART.

Even the last train in and the first train out are busy in the peak direction, with the core ones crush capacity Monday-Thursday at least

I'd imagine when the train first went to Maynoth it was not as busy as it is now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If a train service was available from Navan I'd use it rather than driving 30 minutes to the M3, but given that the train service from Navan was supposed to be available by the time the motorway was completed as an alternative, I won't be holding my breath.
    Didn't the motorway design and construction pretty much signal the death of any possibility if reopening the train line to Navan?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Didn't the motorway design and construction pretty much signal the death of any possibility if reopening the train line to Navan?
    Funny how that logic never seemed to apply when a motorway was built between Limerick and Tuam.

It was stated at the time given that the m3 has two toll points that the train line would be an alternative to those not wanting to pay the tolls.

The tolls can be bypassed of course, but to try and do so for the Dunboyne one in the morning/evening adds about 30 minutes onto your trip each way most days in my experience.

Edit-- Going by memory on this and open to correction, because at the time of the M3 was going through the planning and building phases, I didn't live in Meath and didn't think that I would be, but do have a memory of a politician saying the above on the news, but then again that could have just been typical political talk or faulty memory on my behalf.

OK. I had a memory of any new overpasses for a train being too steep or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The peak time services are completely rammed in the peak direction. Were they expecting people to hang off the outsides?

I'd expect that any extension out to Navan would be started/completed after the Dart Expansion has electrified the line out to M3 Parkway. This would mean that trains would be more frequent and larger than the ones currently used on that line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean where the old line would have crossed the now M3 at junction 8?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd expect that any extension out to Navan would be started/completed after the Dart Expansion has electrified the line out to M3 Parkway. This would mean that trains would be more frequent and larger than the ones currently used on that line.

I mean people who are claiming the existing services are underused

you mean where the old line would have crossed the now M3 at junction 8?
    Possibly but tbh I don't recall fully but I think there was one somewhere near Dunboyne also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the one near dunboyne can hook up with the M3 parkway station without crossing the motorway.

The headshunt already runs through that junction in a box, it's the dunshauglin bridge that's a problem

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The headshunt already runs through that junction in a box, it's the dunshauglin bridge that's a problem

Yeah, that'd require some work alright, but it's not insurmountable. The road is wide enough that you could close half of it and only slightly impact on traffic going over it. Finish the works on that side, including raising the road, reopen that side and transfer the works to the other side.

The existing alignment will require some work for sure, and there's some places where it will just have to deviate, but it's still probably easier than coming up with an entirely new alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

The old alignment can be viewed by looking at http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html

and using Data Catalogue -> Base Information and mapping -> tick the box beside Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Alignment also visible here

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Meath County Council sharing a survey related to the reopening of the line on multiple social media accounts.Twitter post below, but importantly on Facebook, they state that if a decision was made to proceed, the line could be operational by 2026.

https://twitter.com/meathcoco/status/1357026235306692609?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

ncounties wrote: »
    Meath County Council sharing a survey related to the reopening of the line on multiple social media accounts.Twitter post below, but importantly on Facebook, they state that if a decision was made to proceed, the line could be operational by 2026.

https://twitter.com/meathcoco/status/1357026235306692609?s=20

That's some spotless ballast in that photo.
    The survey is kind of bad, single answer options to questions that can have multiple answers (What do you go to Dublin for, 6 answers, but a radio button to allow single selection). It also doesn't seem to have any real direction, so it's really difficult to figure out what they are trying to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Rulmeq wrote: »
    That's some spotless ballast in that photo.
    The survey is kind of bad, single answer options to questions that can have multiple answers (What do you go to Dublin for, 6 answers, but a radio button to allow single selection). It also doesn't seem to have any real direction, so it's really difficult to figure out what they are trying to discover.

Oh god yeah, the survey was dreadful. "If you answered positively to the last question" but the question was on mode of transport?!

Whole thing would have been better just asking:

1. Where do you live?
    2. How often do you usually travel along the along the route (i.e. between your hometown and Dublin)?
    3. How do you travel now?
    4. If a line was reinstated, would you use the train instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Never going to be built, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Never going to be built, imo.

I hope that you are wrong, but fear that you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

They really need to figure out "if" there is demand? Has Meath Co. Co. (among others) failed to notice what's been happening in the Greater Dublin Area over the past 10-odd years? I guarantee that if the Navan line were built and the areas around the stations were rezoned high density residential, any service would be maxed out within 5 years, like every other short haul railway (DART, Commuter, Luas) into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

SeanW wrote: »
    They really need to figure out "if" there is demand? Has Meath Co. Co. (among others) failed to notice what's been happening in the Greater Dublin Area over the past 10-odd years? I guarantee that if the Navan line were built and the areas around the stations were rezoned high density residential, any service would be maxed out within 5 years, like every other short haul railway (DART, Commuter, Luas) into the city.

True, but in the meantime the buses go several times an hour, are pretty fast usually, and are practically empty. "built it and they will come" springs to mind, but the current use of public transport is a great way for the powers that be to "prove" it is not needed.

Train should have been done with the motorway.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

True, but in the meantime the buses go several times an hour, are pretty fast usually, and are practically empty. "built it and they will come" springs to mind, but the current use of public transport is a great way for the powers that be to "prove" it is not needed.

Train should have been done with the motorway.

Wasn't the 109/109X leaving people behind before it had gotten out of Navan pre-pandemic?

A single four car 29000 train would carry almost 800 people. Probably about 8-9 bus loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

donvito99 wrote: »
    Wasn't the 109/109X leaving people behind before it had gotten out of Navan pre-pandemic?

A single four car 29000 train would carry almost 800 people. Probably about 8-9 bus loads.

They'll probably use the NX as an excuse not to reopen the line. But the other services were leaving people behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Either you are utterly clueless or you are intentionally misleading.

Maybe with covid related downturn Navan services are lightly loaded but that certainly wasn't the case before.

There were approx 40 buses, mostly double decker, mostly 75% or over full on the 109 group routes arriving in Dublin in the morning peak.

Off-peak and contra-peak medium-long commuter routes like these will always have much lower loadings, this is not proof of anything other than the obvious that peak demand is for 9-5 workers in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Hi Vic, it’s not my view, simply the argument that will be used to avoid investing the required cash. We can’t get a train to the airport let alone navan!!

😎

Advertisement