Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oldest bike shop in Dublin..still going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Identical bikes!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Some of the courier companies in the 80's bought fleets of bikes and I think they leased them out to the riders just like these Suzuki 250 singles kitted with panniers n' top boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd say Delaneys. JPs is there a good few years but I couldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Kamu

The old Jack Nolan's building is properly derelict right now, sad to see, I remember as a young child walking by wanting to get on top of one of the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jack Nolan's is just beside Meath street and passed the other day looks well gone but not 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Got my first DT175 in Jack Nolans all those years ago. Sad to hear its now a derelict site.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Kamu

Jack Nolan's is just beside Meath street and passed the other day looks well gone but not 100%

I live close by to it, the upper windows are smashed and parts of the roof have caved in, not sure when it actually closed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Nodster wrote: »
    Some of the courier companies in the 80's bought fleets of bikes and I think they leased them out to the riders just like these Suzuki 250 singles kitted with panniers n' top boxes

Pony Express??

Is JP motorcycles still going.

Was in them both few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If I remember correctly it was Speedway that bought the Suzuki GN125 and leased it back to the riders.
    Although probably not a motor bike shop in the strictest sense Delaneys at Harolds Cross would probably be the oldest longest running by the same family as well as Leo Reilly on Dorset St bridge.
    Some of the sites where there has been a bike shop for decades would be MegaBikes on Wexford St, used to be The Kawazaki Centre, Scotts Bikes in Harolds Cross, used to be Stateside, There used to be another bike shop beside M and A at the Five Lamps.
    Another one that has been in the same spot forever is Premier in Inchicore although its more a breakers.
    Speaking of breakers, anyone remember when City Spares was located on Francis at the Thomas St end, roughly opposite the Tivoli Theatre?
    Some bike dealers like Cottors and Gem are still around, but have relocated a couple of times.
    But some of the greats are long gone, as mentioned Jack Nolans, Two Wheels and in my opinion the best bike shop that Dublin lost forever Mountjoy Motorcycles.
    Ahh good memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it was Speedway that bought the Suzuki GN125 and leased it back to the riders.
    Although probably not a motor bike shop in the strictest sense Delaneys at Harolds Cross would probably be the oldest longest running by the same family as well as Leo Reilly on Dorset St bridge.
    Some of the sites where there has been a bike shop for decades would be MegaBikes on Wexford St, used to be The Kawazaki Centre, Scotts Bikes in Harolds Cross, used to be Stateside, There used to be another bike shop beside M and A at the Five Lamps.
    Another one that has been in the same spot forever is Premier in Inchicore although its more a breakers.
    Speaking of breakers, anyone remember when City Spares was located on Francis at the Thomas St end, roughly opposite the Tivoli Theatre?
    Some bike dealers like Cottors and Gem are still around, but have relocated a couple of times.
    But some of the greats are long gone, as mentioned Jack Nolans, Two Wheels and in my opinion the best bike shop that Dublin lost forever Mountjoy Motorcycles.
    Ahh good memories.

Surely a shop that has sold motorbikes for over 40 yrs would be classed as a motorcycle shop...:)

I thought over the years that they had moved their focus towards Bicycles with Motor Bikes being a much smaller part of their business.
    But yes, to be fair it would be themselves and Leo Reillys that would be the two longest established bike shops still in the same location under the same family name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭gipi

Ahh good memories.

Yep, I remember City Spares in Francis St - I had a petrol cap stolen from my KC100 (many moons ago!), and headed up there to try for a replacement. Didn't get one, sadly, and had to cough up over £10 for a new one!!

Oh, and I know it's not in Dublin, but Kennedy's in Drogheda has to get an honourable mention....open for business since 1949!

I thought over the years that they had moved their focus towards Bicycles with Motor Bikes being a much smaller part of their business.
    But yes, to be fair it would be themselves and Leo Reillys that would be the two longest established bike shops still in the same location under the same family name. :)

I remember it always as being more bicycle shoppy, but fair play for sticking with the motorbikes when most others have failed...probably to do with being a family business being still interested in bikes...fair play....anyone use them..??

I remember it always as being more bicycle shoppy, but fair play for sticking with the motorbikes when most others have failed...probably to do with being a family business being still interested in bikes...fair play....anyone use them..??

Many years ago I would have dropped in occasionally when the father was still at the helm and his two young (then) sons helping out.
    I was rebuilding old Brit bikes back then and he would have respoked a few rims for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

The internet and the recession has killed bricks n mortar shops.

Mountjoy Motorcycles is long gone too.......used to allways take a trip over there on a Saturday to buy parts.

Many years ago I would have dropped in occasionally when the father was still at the helm and his two young (then) sons helping out.
    I was rebuilding old Brit bikes back then and he would have respoked a few rims for me.

Think they still respoke wheels....

Bought a Premier lid there ,80's maybe..mad gold metalflake design....think they might have been made here...correct me if i'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Bikeworld used to be in the city center on Wood Street. I'm not sure when they moved to their new place on the Long Mile Road though.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Bikeworld used to be in the city center on Wood Street. I'm not sure when they moved to their new place on the Long Mile Road though.
    Think around 2002 or 2003 if remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Bought a Premier lid there ,80's maybe..mad gold metalflake design....think they might have been made here...correct me if i'm wrong...
    Yeah your right, if I remember correctly they were manufactured in Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't remember a motorbike shop near M&A at the five lamps.

I know Alan's father sold bicycles from a shop over the opposite side of the street (the block which backs onto Killarney St, could this have been it?. (he started selling Honda 50's and small bikes from here too).

It was a sad day when Mountjoy closed its doors for the last night

Think Liam (mountjoy) works in some shop in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't remember a motorbike shop near M&A at the five lamps.

DMG, or was that in the same premises (before M&A)?

Edit: (before..

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He ended up working for those couple of chancers that ran the pseudo Harley place and the Honda place on the opposite corner. He got sense after a while and retired. Lovely man with great knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Nearly sure Mr Kennedy said he opened his shop a year before his good friend Ernie Barrets gem of a shop Mountjoy M/c's......................I also remember City Spare on the left in a blocked off lane called 'Hankerchief Alley' before they relocated up the road on the right towards Cork St.

That right, Handkerchief Alley, I was trying to remember the name in my earlier post. If I remember, was it Damien and Peter and their father had an Antique shop next door.

Esel wrote: »

I think that was it, M&A was in the corner unit beside the lane and the other was where M&A is now and I remember one of them had the workshop down the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Called "Mountjoy Corner' .. gone now I think ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Esel wrote: »

Yeah that's it.

rBtwDU6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah that's it.

rBtwDU6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Well done, I was only short of dropping into M&A during the week to work out which way around it was.

Advertisement