Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 50 50 can it be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

AKW wrote: »
    You mean the ones that understand IM is not 70.3?

no that is not good enough, they have to understand that doing an half ironman in 4.30h is more difficult than doing an ironman in 15 hours
    and doing an half ironman in sub 4 hours is by far more extraordinare than 50 50 50 ;-) ( at least if they watch the english premiership and not the irish soccer league)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

his coach is doing a blog, http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/

looks like he suffered a lot in the heat in Vegas yesterday, he has 6 done, only 44 left to go:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

From Dr Makin: " Analyzing James' blood labs confirms what we all suspected… He's a machine!! He has better blood labs after 9 Ironman's in 9 days than most of us on a daily basis. He can absolutely do this! His clean eating and attention to detail has paid off!" ‪#‎youngevity‬ ‪#‎younglivingessentialoils‬ ‪#‎zyto‬ ‪#‎blendfresh‬ ‪#‎blendtec‬ ‪#‎blenderbottle‬ ‪#‎biostructures‬ ‪#‎energylabs‬ ‪#‎thankssponsorsforgreatproducts‬

9 days... good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Can't believe he has managed to do 12. Some machine of a man , still think 50 will be far too much though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

20 done. He's giving it a good go anyway...

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    20 done. He's giving it a good go anyway...

fair play to him, thought he wouldn't be able to go on after the bike crash the other day but he seems to be a bit of a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

He does not look well at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Not to denigrate his achievement thus far, but there's some negative comment emerging over the fact that he completed his "run" on an elliptical trainer yesterday.

Surely that puts paid to any notion of 50 consecutive IM distances?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

He does not look well at all imo.
    Ive been thinking that. Getting more hollow looking every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Doing one of the marathons on an elliptical? C'mon, that's game over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Doing one of the marathons on an elliptical? C'mon, that's game over.

However much I want to see him succeed I have to agree here

Theyre doing a lot of explanatory talk on his blog. Blaming injury, and the fact that he couldnt walk. They seemed to have got him to do the only thing he was able for. I even thought the indoor stuff they did before this was a cop out, I mean, its an achievement, but you cant give him a place in the record books for 505050 now. An indoor IM is not an IM, and an elliptical is not running.

Im still awed by how far he has got, but while watching through my fingers, because right now its like a slow car crash.

Off to google elliptical....

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Posted as a reply on his FB page - fairly upfront that it nullifies his attempt, but planning to carry on anyhow...

A crash from Day 18 subjected my hip to a worse condition than originally diagnosed. After 18 days of the 505050, I knew from experience this particular injury would likely prohibit even walking, or strain it to the point of jeopardizing the remaining 31 days. Faced with ending the project, and consultation with my team, I approved the suggestion to use an elliptical for the marathon as an alternative.

In retrospect, I clearly see how this decision was problematic and at the very least naïve in how it would be received. Decision making in this low-sleep, high-stress, time-constrained environment has proved challenging, and I fear that environment interfered with how we managed the situation.

The use of the elliptical was inconsistent with my stated goal on Facebook of “50 Ironman Courses, in 50 consecutive days, through all 50 States.” Although there was no effort to hide the decision (which was highly visible on both on our Facebook and blog page), we should have been more open about the decision to the Iron Cowboy community.

I apologize for this mistake. The elliptical use reduces the credibility of the 505050. Physically, it does not have the same demands as a run/walk. Mentally, I found almost 6 hours on that machine the hardest marathon I’ve ever done. I recognize many of you are disappointed with this development, and many may even consider the project over. From my perspective, I still have a a lot of work to do. I hope you will consider this my “yellow card” and continue with me on this historic journey.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Posted as a reply on his FB page - fairly upfront that it nullifies his attempt, but planning to carry on anyhow...

A crash from Day 18 subjected my hip to a worse condition than originally diagnosed. After 18 days of the 505050, I knew from experience this particular injury would likely prohibit even walking, or strain it to the point of jeopardizing the remaining 31 days. Faced with ending the project, and consultation with my team, I approved the suggestion to use an elliptical for the marathon as an alternative.

In retrospect, I clearly see how this decision was problematic and at the very least naïve in how it would be received. Decision making in this low-sleep, high-stress, time-constrained environment has proved challenging, and I fear that environment interfered with how we managed the situation.

The use of the elliptical was inconsistent with my stated goal on Facebook of “50 Ironman Courses, in 50 consecutive days, through all 50 States.” Although there was no effort to hide the decision (which was highly visible on both on our Facebook and blog page), we should have been more open about the decision to the Iron Cowboy community.

I apologize for this mistake. The elliptical use reduces the credibility of the 505050. Physically, it does not have the same demands as a run/walk. Mentally, I found almost 6 hours on that machine the hardest marathon I’ve ever done. I recognize many of you are disappointed with this development, and many may even consider the project over. From my perspective, I still have a a lot of work to do. I hope you will consider this my “yellow card” and continue with me on this historic journey.

Nope...you have done a great job but have failed the challenge. Game over.

i have to agree with you bryangiggsy, i hadnt realized he used the elliptical trainer, as i mentioned earlier i thought he wouldnt go on after the bike crash, even though spending 6 hours on an elliptical must be torture i dont think his 50 50 50 now has any merit, kudos for doing 19 but he should call it a day now and come back stronger next year if he really wants to do 505050, just my 2 cents..

Pmaldini wrote: »
    i have to agree with you bryangiggsy, i hadnt realized he used the elliptical trainer, as i mentioned earlier i thought he wouldnt go on after the bike crash, even though spending 6 hours on an elliptical must be torture i dont think his 50 50 50 now has any merit, kudos for doing 19 but he should call it a day now and come back stronger next year if he really wants to do 505050, just my 2 cents..
    Agreed
    The challenge was 50 IM (swim bike run) not 49 (swim,bike,run) & 1 (swim,bike,elliptical)

He fell asleep on the bike ..crashed and could not do the run so he was not fit enough to continue..end of. He is not of sane mind right now his advisors should make the decision for him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Agreed
    The challenge was 50 IM (swim bike run) not 49 (swim,bike,run) & 1 (swim,bike,elliptical)

He fell asleep on the bike ..crashed and could not do the run so he was not fit enough to continue..end of. He is not of sane mind right now his advisors should make the decision for him!!!

Yeah, someone definitely needs to emphasise that he's now training for the next one, and no longer completing the current one. Maybe he knows this, but whether its useful to carry on is questionable to say the least.

Given his current state, I wonder how long it would take for him to be able to attempt this again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This is like the 100 marathons in 100 days guy who skipped 9 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Also, if I'm not mistaken, they're filming the whole thing so they might think that keeping on has some after-value ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So i haven't followed this but seemingly he has one left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So i haven't followed this but seemingly he has one left.

Shame about the one that doesn't count. An amazing feat despite that.

Shame about the one that doesn't count. An amazing feat despite that.

i agree, i kind of dismissed it after the elliptical day but he continued on and will be doing his 50th today, (well 49 + 2/3) but a massive feat of endurance and perseverance through some awful weather and lack of sleep, kudos to the man

I didnt think he would do it. And given that he has done well since the elliptical incident, I say well done to him on something pretty damn crazy. Not a world record, but an insane achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

We really need to find a new planet so people can go explore instead of looking for attention with insanity like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

LaGlisse wrote: »
    We really need to find a new planet so people can go explore instead of looking for attention with insanity like this.
    smart marketing
    ifyou think at the end all thos guys make good money after doing 10 or 50 .

it makes a lot of ecconomical sense as joe blogs loves this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

peter kern wrote: »
    smart marketing
    ifyou think at the end all thos guys make good money after doing 10 or 50 .

it makes a lot of ecconomical sense as joe blogs loves this stuff

That's why they do it. Hey Peter, Congrats on a super win yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

He's getting great coverage on FB.

• Advertisement

Was flicking through Netflix last night and found the documentary on this. Looking at the coverage, it all seemed a bit hap hazard in hindsight. Even before the elliptical trainer, he had used a turbo trainer for at least one bike leg due to adverse weather. Surely dealing with the elements should have been one of the biggest challenges so not sure that was great judgement on their behalf. However, the biggest issue was his copious use of IV drips, unbelievable that it didnt seem to raise any eyebrows at the time.

Advertisement