Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

On the subject of Kikutaro I give you Kikutaro and Akira Taue vs Kushiobu Kamen and Catfish Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sEBch23tA&feature=related

Plus in some Minoru Suzuki related comedy, Suzuki vs Mecha Mummy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5y2iVqCfw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Still no sign of that Makabe vs Sugiura match on Youtube so I'm watching Makabe vs Giant Bernard right now. Good match. One of the commentators just mentioned Makabe and John Cena in the same sentence

I wonder what way this aired on tv or what way they censor programs over there because there's been a lot of "**** you"'s in this match :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wonder what way this aired on tv or what way they censor programs over there because there's been a lot of "**** you"'s in this match :pac:

Ever see the way some of the DG shows are broadcast over there? Completely bonkers.

Okay, here's a famous match. Some people may have already seen it, but those who haven't... why the hell not?
    Misawa vs Kawada.... their epic from 94. Check out the brutal finish though...ouch...

* For some reason i can't get part 4 to attach. Easy enough to find in related vids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    This match is ridiculously good in just about every way. Watch it now. All of you.

Is this the match you're looking for Fozzy?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaa2r9_togi-makabe-vs-takashi-sugiura-semi_sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This match is incredible. Kenta & marufuji Vs Juvi & Ricky Marvin. Enough said really :)

• Advertisement

When you see Juvi in matches like this it makes you wish he could have laid off the drugs a little more when he was younger. Phenomenal talent who was every bit as good as Rey, but never had his good attitude. One of the ones that got away, I'm afraid. :(

Great match that one, the younger spottier KENTA and Marufuji were so so good.

flahavaj wrote: »
    When you see Juvi in matches like this it makes you wish he could have laid off the drugs a little more when he was younger. Phenomenal talent who was every bit as good as Rey, but never had his good attitude. One of the ones that got away, I'm afraid. :(

Great match that one, the younger spottier KENTA and Marufuji were so so good.

How long's Marufuji out for? Anyone know off hand? For my money, he's one of the best all-rounders in the business right now... he's skills are just ridiculous. Throws too many superkicks though....

The ROH matches featuring KENTA that i've caught this year have been something special....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

gimmick wrote: »
    This match is incredible. Kenta & marufuji Vs Juvi & Ricky Marvin. Enough said really :)

Awesome. Wheres Juvitude these days? The guy could have become the biggest Mexican wrestler of his time.

Awesome. Wheres Juvitude these days? The guy could have become the biggest Mexican wrestler of his time.

Mexican indy's to the best of my recollection. Had a shot at the big time with AAA back in March/April but started acting the bollox (shocker) and got shoot beaten up by Jack Evans and Konnan. I believe he is still pressing charges against Konnan.

Aye, apparently Evans made a complete fool out of Juvi, as in kicked the tar out of him when Juvi was totally in the wrong. I think Juvi tried to claim they sh*t in his bags, but that mightn't be accurate.

• Advertisement

wrestler766911a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Was watching the last couple of months of the New Japan stuff and then I went back and watched the Tokyo Dome show in January and I noticed that Prince Devitt has nearly doubled in size and definition in the space of 8 months.

In January he just looked like a fit wrestler, but now he's looking ripped and he seems to be getting more muscle onto his frame. Wonder if he'll keep growing in such a way as the year goes on.

Not a match but it does feature Chono promoting some brand of booze:

Time to bump this bad boy. Got a PM from jaykhunter asking for links to some All Japan Women's matches. The subject of good women's wrestling came uop in another thread and I mentioned AJW from 1991-1993 as possibly the greatest period any wrestling company has ever had in terms of workrate.

This matchis a genuine 5 star match and is ofte touted as the greatest women's math ever staged. It was held at Dreamslam which was an AJW Supershow and is also regarded as one of the greatest wrestling shows ever held, male or female. If you can, get your hands on it in its entirity is sensational, hard to believe this stuff is 20 years old.

This match features Akira Hokuta (who in real life is married to Japanese star Kensuke Sasaki and who was the first ever WCW women's champ) Vs Shinobu Kandori (a judo star turned wrestler who is easily one of the all time greats - shes the one with the short hair btw) AJW Dreamslam I 03/04/1993

Incredible stuff. Anyone who sh*ts on female wrestling should watch this and get back to me.

Thanks for posting that. Awesome, awesome, awesome match. Truly fantastic. The entire Dream Slam I card is ****ing unbelievable from start to finish (so is Dream Slam II though- which has a couple of efforts probably just as good).

Even prior to 1991 as well- especially around 85-87, there was some incredible women's stuff floating around. The tag scene in Japan was particularly healthy.

Narrow escape for New Japan. Snippert from Meltzer:

"Hogan told a Japanese reporter he wants to work the Tokyo Dome. New Japan contacted his people, found out his price, and passed."

Phew.:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Just starting the match now! I just wanna point out that I do have respect for the talented women's wrestlers (i.e. ones that get over on their skills/talents rather than beauty) but most of them on TV are so useless (not to mention cookie-cutter) that they should stick to being eye candy instead of botching every other move. I also have to note that these AJW women are not a fair average of what women's wrestling in America is like today. This match just shows the potential that women can reach w/r/t in-ring work.

I mean when people (including myself) say "women's wrestling is crap" it means that 'the general level of women's matches on TV is poor', not 'no women have ever had a great match'. It'd be if someone said 'WWE storylines are poor' and someone pulled out say, the Foley/Mankind feud from 1999. It's not an accurate representation of what storylines are like today :)

Anyway cheers for the link :)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Just starting the match now! I just wanna point out that I do have respect for the talented women's wrestlers (i.e. ones that get over on their skills/talents rather than beauty) but most of them on TV are so useless (not to mention cookie-cutter) that they should stick to being eye candy instead of botching every other move. I also have to note that these AJW women are not a fair average of what women's wrestling in America is like today. This match just shows the potential that women can reach w/r/t in-ring work.

I mean when people (including myself) say "women's wrestling is crap" it means that 'the general level of women's matches on TV is poor', not 'no women have ever had a great match'. It'd be if someone said 'WWE storylines are poor' and someone pulled out say, the Foley/Mankind feud from 1999. It's not an accurate representation of what storylines are like today :)

Anyway cheers for the link :)

Enjoy and let me know what you thought of it.:)

Although im sure many of ye didnt appreciate the greatness of HUSTLE, I implore you to view one of there better shows, the 2007 HUSTLE X-Mas Special. Featuring monsters, gays, demon spiders and a curry eating contest this truly is a must see: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6flut_hustle-xmas-2007-1_sport

To go straight to the good stuff, click on the following link, it features Yoji Anjoh & Fear Itako vs Genichiro Tenryu were Mr. Tenryu channels the spirit of Giant Baba. 15 mins of your life that you will not regret : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6flwn_hustle-xmas-2007-4_sport

Incredible MV I've just watched that chronicles the rise of the new generation (Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada) of wrestlers in All Japan in the early 90's. Gave me shivers down my spine. The quality of the footage alone makes this top notch.

• Advertisement

Results from the REAL biggest show of the day, the 2010 New Japan Tokyo Dome Supershow, Japan's Wrestlemania.
    Super Strong Machine & Wataru Inoue & Mitsuhide Hirasawa b Jushin Liger & Koji Kanemoto & Kazuchika Okada

IWGP jr. title: Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi b Averno & Ultimo Guerrero

IWGP tag titles: Tetsuya Naito & Yujiro won three-way hardcore match to take titles off champs Team 3-D as well as Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson when Yujiro pinned Anderson. Can't believe Team 3-D managed to lose the tiles without doing the job

Tajiri & Masato Tanaka b Yuji Nagata & Akebono when Tanaka pinned Nagata

Terry Funk & Riki Choshu & Masahiro Chono & Manabu Nakanishi b Abdullah the Butcher & Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii when Nakanishi beat Iizuka with the torture rack

Togi Makabe b Mohammed Yone with the King Kong kneedrop in the first New Japan vs. NOAH match

IWGP jr. heavyweight title: Naomichi Marufuji b Tiger Mask with the tiger frosien from the top rope

Hiroshi Tanahashi b Go Shiozaki with the high fly flow

GHC heavyweight title: Takashi Sugiura b Hirooki Goto to retain the title with an ankle lock, so New Japan vs. NOAH ended as a 2-2 tie

IWGP heavyweight title: Shinsuke Nakamura b Yoshihiro Takayama to retain the title with four Bom a Ye's

Kenta Kobashi, 42, apparently has no feeling in several of his fingers in his right hand. He was told he needs immediate elbow surgery. Without surgery he will not be able to regain use of his fingers. With surgery, there is no guarantee he’ll be able to regain use of his fingers. There is also no timetable of when he’ll be able to return. He’s come back from so many surgeries and even cancer so you always think there’s another Kobashi comeback at Budokan Hall, but there may not be this time.
    :(
    Latest Observer.

BOOOIIIIIINNNNGGG.

I am looking for some recent Marufuji matches but am finding feck all. By recent I mean in the last 2-3 tears. Any reason why the usual spots have got so few of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

http://www.youtube.com/user/JivanFernandez#p/a

Do a search here and you should find some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched that Devitt/Marufuji match too when checking out Devitt's 2010 stuff. There was a great bit where Devitt was making a comeback and Marufuji kicked him in the leg which he had been working on earlier thus cutting off the comeback. Thought that was a great little moment in the match.

Is it me or has Devitt had a lot of damn fine matches this year, or am I letting bias cloud my judgement? :pac:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

^^^
    No bias at all..... I'd say Devitt's had one of the finest 2010's as anyone out there. He's on a cracking run.

I watched that Devitt/Marufuji match too when checking out Devitt's 2010 stuff. There was a great bit where Devitt was making a comeback and Marufuji kicked him in the leg which he had been working on earlier thus cutting off the comeback. Thought that was a great little moment in the match.

Is it me or has Devitt had a lot of damn fine matches this year, or am I letting bias cloud my judgement? :pac:

Not at all - he's been unbelieveable the last couple of years. Proof positive is that the Yanks rate him just as highly as all of us and he's MASSIVELY over with the Japanese. His segments consistently draw amongst the highest ratings for NJPW's TV show.

Easily the most consistently good foreign woker in Japan of the last 5-10 years. Fergal Devitt is big news, delighted for the lad.

Ill echo the above. He is turning out to be our very finest export.

Check out his tag team work as well. Some cracking matches with the Machine Guns among others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'll go out on a limb and claim that Devitt is one of the best jnr heavyweights in the world right now.

It's I make the point of asking everyone I interview for the podcast their view on Fergal; to hammer home how brilliant one of our own is, and how many others there are who could be just like him on the local scene.

Advertisement