Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Just finished DiBiases wasnt bad,having one of his wrestling buddies put him over in every second paragraph was a bit much I thought

Didnt like the last few chapters because they are very God/religion based not something I enjoy but that seems to feature heavily in wrestling bios

Alot of the book besides Ted accounting his career is like a tribute the last 2-3 pages are written by his wife and kids telling how great he is as a father and husband (along with countless bits from other wrestlers as mentioned)

Wasnt bad but was the usual wrestling formula started small, made it big, got carried away with women,drink,drugs etc, almost lost it all, reformed and is now a better man for the experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    F*cking hell rovert, that's a serious amount of reading! respect.

Just trying to hide them all from non fans at short notice who come have the pleasure of visiting my bedroom deserves your respect.
    EdK wrote: »
    Just finished DiBiases wasnt bad,having one of his wrestling buddies put him over in every second paragraph was a bit much I thought

Didnt like the last few chapters because they are very God/religion based not something I enjoy but that seems to feature heavily in wrestling bios

Alot of the book besides Ted accounting his career is like a tribute the last 2-3 pages are written by his wife and kids telling how great he is as a father and husband (along with countless bits from other wrestlers as mentioned)

Wasnt bad but was the usual wrestling formula started small, made it big, got carried away with women,drink,drugs etc, almost lost it all, reformed and is now a better man for the experience

Is this the WWE one?

Is there is much on Mid South/UWF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rovert wrote: »

Not to drift off topic but I've been watching some of this lately, namely the discs from the DVDVR project. Great stuff. Seeing DiBiease's work down there makes you realise just how criminally misused he was by Vince. He was a f*cking BEAST back in the territories. Ditto Jim Duggan.

Just trying to hide them all from non fans at short notice who come have the pleasure of visiting my bedroom deserves your respect.

Is this the WWE one?

Not too much its all kind of choppy and condensed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I always knew you were a victim of some sort of bullying to justify your bullishness and stubbornness at times. Not like that's a bad thing. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger and all that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Rovert, a few questions:

Firstly, What out of your very impressive list would be your top 5 books?

And also, The rise and fall of ecw; I've heard it's just a book version of the dvd. Is that true?

Rovert, a few questions:

Firstly, What out of your very impressive list would be your top 5 books?

And also, The rise and fall of ecw; I've heard it's just a book version of the dvd. Is that true?

Don't wait up for an answer, that will be posted around 6.50. According to his usual posting routine.

Oh jesus, i need a break from boards! Off for the weekend though! :D

Don't wait up for an answer, that will be posted around 6.50. According to his usual posting routine.

Oh jesus, i need a break from boards! Off for the weekend though! :D

Yeah i thought that too, he has a strange routine.

Off to anywhere nice man?

Yeah i thought that too, he has a strange routine.

Nah, he posts from work, comes home then posts from there.
    Off to anywhere nice man?

Off to the UK to spend Halloweenie weekend with a bunch of Goths at Whitby Goth Weekend, it's kinda like the ****** for Goths, minus the scumbags in tents. I dumped my goth image over a decade ago, but still love the music.

Off to the UK to spend Halloweenie weekend with a bunch of Goths at Whitby Goth Weekend, it's kinda like the ****** for Goths, minus the scumbags in tents. I dumped my goth image over a decade ago, but still love the music.

Think my mate is going to that, is it in wales?

• Advertisement

Think my mate is going to that, is it in wales?

Nah, The Gathering generally takes place in Wales in January (which i'm also going to), Whitby is in Yorkshire.
    I think we'd be better off taking the rest of this to PM before it goes off topic! ;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not to drift off topic but I've been watching some of this lately, namely the discs from the DVDVR project. Great stuff. Seeing DiBiease's work down there makes you realise just how criminally misused he was by Vince. He was a f*cking BEAST back in the territories. Ditto Jim Duggan.

WALKING TALL. Im watching the Memphis Set at the mo.
    Firstly, What out of your very impressive list would be your top 5 books??

Ill get back to you on that

Yep with a few more stories here and there.

Bull****

Bull****

Not really dude, i've been pulling overnighters the last few nights, you're usually gone by 12.30, and back online around 6.40-6.50. ;)
    Sure look at the time you posted that at! :D

Not really dude, i've been pulling overnighters the last few nights, you're usually gone by 12.30, and back online around 6.40-6.50. ;)
    Sure look at the time you posted that at! :D

Way to miss the joke dude.

Way to miss the joke dude.

Sorry, not long awake and we're out of caffeine in the place! :)

To get back on topic, EdK (and anyone else who read DiBiase's second book, the WWE publication), anyone else notice the criminal amount of mistakes in it? The one that stood out to me was 9 pages in, where he says Andre slammed Hogan and for the false pin, when in actuality it was a belly to back suplex, a move Andre was well noted for before finishing a match.

Also according to his book, Hogan grabs both Hebners and flings em over the top, which didn't happen either. Earl threw Dave over the top first, then Hogan threw Earl over.

Stupid errors like that made me put the book down and leave it til last.

haha lay off the all nighters, can't believe you missed that

To get back on topic, EdK (and anyone else who read DiBiase's second book, the WWE publication), anyone else notice the criminal amount of mistakes in it? The one that stood out to me was 9 pages in, where he says Andre slammed Hogan and for the false pin, when in actuality it was a belly to back suplex, a move Andre was well noted for before finishing a match.

Also according to his book, Hogan grabs both Hebners and flings em over the top, which didn't happen either. Earl threw Dave over the top first, then Hogan threw Earl over.

Yeah details were shoddy and he mentioned some things 2-3 times certainly far from the best wrestling bio I've ever red, didnt read it in one night because I couldn't put it down only because a have a growing reading list

haha lay off the all nighters, can't believe you missed that

Not for the want of trying, i'm not great the minute i wake up though, i've missed sillier things that that before. :)

You just know Rovert was counting down the seconds before hitting the submit post button too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

SOme older wrestlers have lousy memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6mf9ijX8s

• Advertisement

You just know Rovert was counting down the seconds before hitting the submit post button too

Must have sucked if he got into work earlier than usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

WALKING TALL. Im watching the Memphis Set at the mo.
    I've this next on the list. They're doing 80's New Japan next. Tiger Mask/Dynamite goodness ahoy!
    Bull****
    I laughed this morning when I read this.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I've this next on the list. They're doing 80's New Japan next. Tiger Mask/Dynamite goodness ahoy!

If you like late 1990's Attitude Era brawling you'll love the 80s Memphis set. Randy Savage and Jimmy Hart in Memphis are WAY better than in WWF. The Extras discs are fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I've read a couple of the WWE Bios. One and Three of Foleys, Lawlers, Angles, Hogan, Austin, Micheals and Flairs. I've also read the death of WCW and although he is in the WWE, Chris Jerichos book is technically not a WWE book.

Some where very good,(Death of WCW, Foley one, Jericho) they approached the subject objectively and where as honest as a writer can be in those situation.

A lot of the WWE ones where pretty much fluff peices. Austins was so ridiculously boring considering he was the main man in Sports Entertainment for a couple of years.

Hogans is typically Hogan.

I found Lawlers,Micheals and Flairs to interesting if not the most well written books ever.

I have said before that I believe that Mick Foley was a great guy when he wrote his first book and around the time of Beyond the Mat. I believe these two success catapulted him into a position in sports entertainment that he may not have achieved purely on his wrestling persona. This in turn created something of superstar ego and this manifests itself in his third book. For me, the Hardcore Diaries show that, rightly or wrongly, Mick Foley believes his hype.

Kurt Angles book at the time was disappointing. However with the passing of time and the collating of knowledge is a wonderful thing. Examples of the single minded egotism and almost reckless regard for his own well being that has been discussed many a times by the Internet Wrestling Community are there all the way through the book. Especially in relation to winning his gold medal.

One book made me so sad and frustrated. It brought a tear to my to realise what a waste the loss of Eddie Guerrero was. To read how he had struggled with personal demons and overcame them to get his life back on track and get to the top of the profession that he had been born into. To hear a man so grateful to be in his privilaged position after being in one where everything he held dear had been almost thrown away by him was heartbreaking. Knowing now what would be his eventual fate, to hear him praise and thank god for everything made me so angry,as a borderline athiest and yet I could almost envy Eddies beliefs because I felt if thats what helped him become who he became well then I'm grateful too.

A very sad book.

Next I can't wait to read Brets book and I'll start looking into some of the other books mentioned on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just wondering are their any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin that sell wrestling books? Or a very trustwrothy site to buy them on not ebay though?

Only wrestling book I have ever got is Mick Foley's first which I thought was a great book, and I only got that at a charity fair lol. Seen it and grabbed it.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Just wondering are their any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin that sell wrestling books? Or a very trustwrothy site to buy them on not ebay though?

Only wrestling book I have ever got is Mick Foley's first which I thought was a great book, and I only got that at a charity fair lol. Seen it and grabbed it.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/homepage.php

Good site has a good few wrestling books, free quick delivery and quite reasonable prices

Randy Savage and Jimmy Hart in Memphis are WAY better than in WWF. The Extras discs are fantastic too.

Oh f*ck yes. I got a loan of the Wrestling Gold set a few years back, pissed off i never made a dupe, but i was under a lot of time constraints at the time and blank media was still expensive. But some of the Savage matches on that knocks spots of Savages best work in WWE

And Savage had a lot of awesome work in WWE.

Oh f*ck yes. I got a loan of the Wrestling Gold set a few years back, pissed off i never made a dupe, but i was under a lot of time constraints at the time and blank media was still expensive. But some of the Savage matches on that knocks spots of Savages best work in WWE

And Savage had a lot of awesome work in WWE.

There are better matches on the set. Savage looks feral in his early days in ICW also on the set. Him "shoot" invading the studios to beat up Lawler are great.

I know Andy Kaufman in Memphis gets praised to high heaven but Jimmy Hart (forget him being a relatively poor manager in WWF & WCW) out acts the actor in many peoples opinion. WTF happened on that plane ride from Memphis to New York to rob him of all that talent?

WTF happened on that plane ride from Memphis to New York to rob him of all that talent?

A question i have asked myself for the guts of two decades.
    That said, i actually enjoyed his WWE stuff from 86-92, his last year was no great shakes. His stuff with the Harts was as funny as hell.

• Advertisement

A question i have asked myself for the guts of two decades.
    That said, i actually enjoyed his WWE stuff from 86-92, his last year was no great shakes.

He became a total cartoon BABYEE
    His stuff with the Harts was as funny as hell.

Flashes of brillance alright.

I heard Jimmy's book wasnt very good.

Advertisement