Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

FFR admit that Galthié breached the COVID bubble.
    They also admitted that the players left the bubble in Italy but we're tested before returning to camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭hold my beer

icdg wrote: »
    Setanta showed it many years ago. I don’t think eir will be doing many deals until it becomes clear whether they have retained the Pro14 rights.

Please God they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ongarite wrote: »
    FFR admit that Galthié breached the COVID bubble.
    They also admitted that the players left the bubble in Italy but we're tested before returning to camp.

It would be very bad for French rugby if this turns into a witch hunt and Galthie ends up being forced to resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

stephen_n wrote: »
    It would be very bad for French rugby if this turns into a witch hunt and Galthie ends up being forced to resign.

I would think that's highly unlikely, were talking about personal responsibility here on the part of the players...I could see a few players being sat down for the rest of the 6 nations though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I would think that's highly unlikely, were talking about personal responsibility here on the part of the players...I could see a few players being sat down for the rest of the 6 nations though

But Gathlie himself broke restrictions. He needs to be the guy setting the standard, and if that's his standard then he's going to have to face some sort of consequence. I'm not calling for his head, but he was the first to test positive. Even if the players hadn't broken the bubble, the damage was already done. He'd have brought it into camp before anyone else it would seem. There has to be repercussions for that. Especially as it put the French teams participation in the tournament in jeopardy as well as the health of players and back room staff.

• Advertisement

I take your point....I hadn't realised he was patient zero so to speak,
    The sports minister has a bit of a thing for hitting rugby, so a good chance that the side could be pulled out, she seems the type to follow up on promises.

Gathlie will be under pressure for this. If any players or staff become seriously unwell he might have to step down and that's aside from the massive cost of France not being able to fulfil remaining fixtures.

As molloy said - he is example setter in chief and will be held to a different standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Italy our only hope to prevent the Welsh Jam Slam.

emmet02 wrote: »
    Italy our only hope to prevent the Welsh Jam Slam.

Is the Jam Slam what happens when the French aren’t in the Grand Slam?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This is the most French thing possible. They have an incredible ability to screw things up.

L'Equipe was reporting over the weekend that the camp is in complete disarray. Laporte completely chastised them for their actions and has laid the blame heavily on individuals. Reportedly, there is finger pointing and the blame game is in full swing within the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is one of the best performances of the classic piece “Which France will show up?” we’ve ever seen in a 6 Nations

Buer wrote: »
    This is the most French thing possible. They have an incredible ability to screw things up.

L'Equipe was reporting over the weekend that the camp is in complete disarray. Laporte completely chastised them for their actions and has laid the blame heavily on individuals. Reportedly, there is finger pointing and the blame game is in full swing within the squad.

We're into farce tournament territory here to be honest.

Surely Scotland need to be awarded a bonus point win and realistically are France going to be able to field a team in the coming 2 - 3 weeks? Is delaying the conclusion of the tournament into the Summer even feasible?

Between the red cards and the complete collapse in competent officiating it's a terrible look for the tournament to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We're into farce tournament territory here to be honest.

Surely Scotland need to be awarded a bonus point win and realistically are France going to be able to field a team in the coming 2 - 3 weeks? Is delaying the conclusion of the tournament into the Summer even feasible?

Between the red cards and the complete collapse in competent officiating it's a terrible look for the tournament to be honest.

I'm surprised there wasn't a set of fines/punishments set up for breaching Covid regulations before the tournament started.

You would hope the FRR would face actual reprimands for throwing the tournament into disarray, but I've a gut feeling it'll just be a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is one of the best performances of the classic piece “Which France will show up?” we’ve ever seen in a 6 Nations

Which France will show up?

About half of them the way things are going.

Looks like the Women's World Cup will be postponed this year according to World Rugby

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If only someone would pick it up for U.K./Irish viewers.

Seemingly, the Lions tour won't happen in England...the UK government / treasury, won't underwrite the cost
    Looks more and more like it's dead in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lions to to go ahead in Britain according to this Welsh rugby reporter. It'll be a 4 test series also.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1367050499111936000?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Seemingly, the Lions tour won't happen in England...the UK government / treasury, won't underwrite the cost
    Looks more and more like it's dead in the water

This aged well!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This aged well!

all 55 mins of it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Clegg wrote: »
    Lions to to go ahead in Britain according to this Welsh rugby reporter. It'll be a 4 test series also.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1367050499111936000?s=09
    4 tests. So one each in Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London I presume. And if the 4 franchises are basing themselves up here for the Rainbow Cup, then no issues with player quarantine either.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

4 tests. So one each in Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London I presume. And if the 4 franchises are basing themselves up here for the Rainbow Cup, then no issues with player quarantine either.

id imagine the four tests will take place in stadia that can take fans in the first instance.

its looking more likely that the UK will be ahead of Ireland in their reopening by that stage... so there may not be a Dublin test if we still have no or low crowd gatherings

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    id imagine the four tests will take place in stadia that can take fans in the first instance.

its looking more likely that the UK will be ahead of Ireland in their reopening by that stage... so there may not be a Dublin test if we still have no or low crowd gatherings

It's being reported that it'll be one in each country, although I wonder if they could hold one up in Ravenhill, smaller stadium but if NI are following the rest of the UK in terms of the vaccination schedule and reopening they could have a decent sized crowd.

I'm still in the 'I'll believe this when I see it' camp but would be a novelty for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I'm still in the 'I'll believe this when I see it' camp but would be a novelty for sure.

A lot of rushing to conclusions every time a new proposal comes out. Even if UK and/or Ireland are able to have full capacity stadiums, cases in either camp throws it all up in the air, e.g. France in the 6N.

hahashake wrote: »
    A lot of rushing to conclusions every time a new proposal comes out. Even if UK and/or Ireland are able to have full capacity stadiums, cases in either camp throws it all up in the air, e.g. France in the 6N.

And as much as the vaccine is rolling out case numbers are still quite high in Europe and when things open up those numbers will go up again.

I hope we get some kind of tour - but until it's officially announced I would be wary taking anything from the media at face value.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely this only makes sense if they expect full stadiums? That doesn't seem likely to me in the summer.

This aged well!

Unfortunately, I think I'm right...we shall see over the next few days though....would love the games to be over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

Something for us all to be wary of and have possibly been guilty of:

Link:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40237844.html

Rugby Players Ireland urge public to 'be kind' as trend of online abuse continues
    'By showcasing some of the content that has been directed at players, this series of animated videos is an important step in highlighting online trolling and the impact of such behaviours'
    Rugby Players Ireland urge public to 'be kind' as trend of online abuse continues
    Ireland players look dejected after conceding a third try during the Six Nations clash with England last year. In recent times, players are becoming more and more targeted by online trolls on social media sending abusive messages. Picture: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile
    THU, 04 MAR, 2021 - 15:06
    SIMON LEWIS
    A new animated series of video encouraging people to “be kind online” has been released by Rugby Players Ireland and Z Zurich Foundation to combat worrying toxic abuse towards players on social media.

The first of three videos to be rolled out over the final stages of the current Guinness Six Nations was released on Thursday as the latest stage of RPI’s Tackle Your Feelings campaign, which began in 2016.

It focuses on toxic abuse relating to player performance, with the video’s content voiced by children in an attempt to tackle trolling and highlighting racism and sexism on social media. RPI said all three animations were created using real tweets that have been directed at Irish rugby players.

“Whilst social media can be a very positive force, as we have seen particularly during the lockdowns, Irish rugby players have been tagged in some toxic abuse on social media and through DMs,” Rugby Players Ireland CEO Simon Keogh said at the launch of the video.

poster
    360p geselecteerd als afspeelkwaliteit720p geselecteerd als afspeelkwaliteit
    logo
    00:59
    A new animated series of video encouraging people to “be kind online” has been released by Rugby Players Ireland and Z Zurich Foundation
    “By showcasing some of the content that has been directed at players, this series of animated videos is an important step in highlighting online trolling and the impact of such behaviours.

“With the Tackle Your Feelings campaign, we are aiming to tackle the mental impact trolling can have on individuals whilst also urging people to be kind online. I would encourage everyone to visit www.tackleyourfeelings.com to find out more about overcoming the impact it has on mental wellbeing.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement