Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are modern petrol engines an acceptable change from diesel?

• 03-03-2021 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Yet another 'what to go for' question but I'm really torn as to what to do about our next car.
    Change is due for us later this year and currently drive a 181 Tiguan, 2.0 diesel 150bhp version.
    It suited us at the time as the Mrs was doing big mileage for work but that has all changed now.
    So, I want to try and get away from diesel. We live in rural Ireland and anyone I've spoken to with a hybrid tells me that unless you're a city driver, it's basically a big petrol engine.
    Future mileage will hopefully be low, maybe 2-300 per week, the usual local runs to shops etc, and the odd longer run once or twice a month.

I like the Tiguan but I don't want to have a 5 year old diesel that's not really worth much.

Considerations so far are Volvo xc40, Audi Q3, another Tiguan.

So, is petrol the way to go for the next 3-5 years for us rural Ireland folk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

I'm not as well placed to comment as some of the other knowledgeable and regular posters on this forum, but I've done a fair bit of research into the fuel type of my next car as well.

What makes you think a diesel vehicle is going to lose its value extortionately in the next 5 years? I understand with the whole 2030 EV Drive etc and a few manufacturers no longer making diesel cars.

However, diesel tends to still be the most economic from searching the WLTP figures vs Petrol. I agree it is probably foolish for anyone to go out and buy a brand new diesel 2021 car today, although I stand to be corrected :) An older diesel shouldn't lose it's value much more than a petrol will in the next few years, they've always been more expensive and held their value better generally. What's to say these petrol hybrids won't be valued low because their range is useless in 3-5 years when ranges are much better?

These petrol hybrids are all well and good, but unless you're charging it every night it's only good for the low range they give - typically up to 50km if even (real world figures can be less) after that - it's the same as a petrol and maybe worse, as the car is heavier with the battery.

A full EV might be an option for you but I haven't looked at those, considering your short distances and low mileage. Some cars can get up to 3-400km now I think.
    I'm staying away from EVs personally until they can provide the same range as a full tank of diesel/petrol can at present. That might be a few years or sooner.

Your short distances mightn't be great for an older diesel, but with Adblue and other advancements in car technology I don't think it's much of an issue. You will pay more for hybrids/ EVs though.

Petrol or diesel prob still your best bet, but if you don't care about fuel savings go for the hybrid for short journeys. For me, buying an EV at the moment carries too many risks. If I go for a long drive or a day trip (when things go back to normal) I don't want to be worrying about where I have to found a charger, or if I want to take a detour I can't because the EV is running low and there's no charge point in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭PaulRyan97

At 2-300km per week and assuming it's a new car you're planning on getting, I'd definitely go for an EV.

An ID4 might be worth a look, similar size to the Tiguan but with a bit more interior room thanks to a longer wheelbase. Can get (officially) around 500km on a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Why do they have to make them all so ugly? Have yet to see an attractive EV. ID4 is a bit of a monstrosity spaceship IMO. Good to see that they’re getting larger ranges though. Look to be in the £35-45K range brand new on auto trader UK

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Why do they have to make them all so ugly? Have yet to see an attractive EV. ID4 is a bit of a monstrosity spaceship IMO. Good to see that they’re getting larger ranges though. Look to be in the £35-45K range brand new on auto trader UK

Personally I think it looks fine, nothing memorable, which can be a good or bad thing I suppose.

There is also a Tiguan PHEV due out here in the coming months which might also be worth looking at, especially with the lower VRT, might work out cheaper than the equivalent diesel model.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

I'm not considering electric for now for a few reasons. The Mrs is the main driver and through her work she can be very rural and the planning side of it is just not going to be part of any discussion....

The phev is something I would look at but if it's a case of having 30-50km on electric and lugging s big petrol engine after that then I'd look at a small, efficient petrol instead.
    Lots to consider....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Neg10

Not a total car buff, but I’ve recently changed from a relatively new diesel to a newer petrol, and financially, I’m spending more on the petrol. Not doing huge driving but I find I’m down at the garage for a fill more regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Neg10 wrote: »
    Not a total car buff, but I’ve recently changed from a relatively new diesel to a newer petrol, and financially, I’m spending more on the petrol. Not doing huge driving but I find I’m down at the garage for a fill more regularly

Better for the environment? Questionable.

Definitely worse for the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

The simple fact is Diesel is more efficient than petrol. What's going to happen in the next few years is in the lap of the gods.
    Have you looked a the Skoda estates or soft roaders.
    IMO the estates are more efficient than the SUVs and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Are they an economical alternative? Probably, but you'll need to do the maths. Usually petrol is cheaper to buy and service, although really depends on brand and technology. So you'll have to calculate total cost of ownership which includes projected depreciation + projected total running costs.

Are they an environmental alternative? No, fossil fuel cars spew out pollution, from gasses to microscopic particles. Tech has made them cleaner, but they're still toxic machines.

If you care about emissions buy electric and make it work.

If you care about the environment buy a bicycle and make that work.

For country living your diesel tiguan is excellent. I certainly wouldn't change for fuel reasons. Tiguans seem to be holding their value at moment, so you could take advantage of a trade in but you're really just trading to take advantage of the trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

This x 100,
    Some of the Teslas look nice but are pie in the sky prices for the ordinary man,ditto the BMW I8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

batman1 wrote: »
    Yet another 'what to go for' question but I'm really torn as to what to do about our next car.
    Change is due for us later this year and currently drive a 181 Tiguan, 2.0 diesel 150bhp version.
    It suited us at the time as the Mrs was doing big mileage for work but that has all changed now.
    So, I want to try and get away from diesel. We live in rural Ireland and anyone I've spoken to with a hybrid tells me that unless you're a city driver, it's basically a big petrol engine.

I like the Tiguan but I don't want to have a 5 year old diesel that's not really worth much.

Considerations so far are Volvo xc40, Audi Q3, another Tiguan.

So, is petrol the way to go for the next 3-5 years for us rural Ireland folk?

The wife is in his same situation tiguan allsoace 181. Was lookingxatvthe hybrid but we are in the country so would it be a big jeep with a petrol engine, costly to run. I think we have made the decision to keep it for another year to see what happens as it is holding value well.
    Future mileage will hopefully be low, maybe 2-300 per week, the usual local runs to shops etc, and the odd longer run once or twice a month.

Advertisement