Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

Is there no semi final in the pro14 this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Is there no semi final in the pro14 this year?

no cancelled due to the Rainbow Cup. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bayern wrote: »

Although when that’s cancelled we may get more league games announced.

Oh that's actually going ahead?! Didn't realise. I'd actually take that over the pro14

salmocab wrote: »
    Although when that’s cancelled we may get more league games announced.

Hopefully

• Advertisement

Oh that's actually going ahead?! Didn't realise

Pro14 seem to think so anyway :rolleyes:

Oh that's actually going ahead?! Didn't realise. I'd actually take that over the pro14

Very hard to see it happening currently

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm a bit lost at the negativity towards the Rainbow Cup from a pure rugby point of view.
    This season's league has been terrible, the provinces have been coasting it. I'll be happy to see the back of it by the end of March.

I'm a bit lost at the negativity towards the Rainbow Cup from a pure rugby point of view.
    This season's league has been terrible, the provinces have been coasting it.

I can take or leave the rainbow cup as a side show but happy that the saffers are joining the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The back row is loaded and it's hard to pick 3 out of that quality. But, there's always somebody injured at one time or another. I couldn't pick the best backrow as they all bring and deliver something. Ruddock and Murphy though are big lads and are good in the physical stakes. VDF and Penny have serious motors and could play all day long. Conan and Deegan are big and skillful. Both good at joining the attacking line on the fringe and out wide. Doris is a mix of everything and Leavy looked like he was the best backrow in the northern hemisphere until the injury. And then there's Soroka! Looks to be a really fine prospect. Not to mention Maloney and O'Brien, who could develop into good players.
    We are so fcuked for back rows!!!! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This season's league has been terrible, the provinces have been coasting it. I'll be happy to see the back of it by the end of March.

It would mean having to play out the full Pro14 fixture list such as Munster coming to Dublin.

As we've discussed at great lengths, training matches like these don't benefit the Leinster fringe players.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Would be much more interesting if there was something to play for in the league for anyone other than leinster/Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would be much more interesting if there was something to play for in the league for anyone other than leinster/Munster

Well there is Europe qualification I guess!

I was more reflecting on the standard of opponents.

Frank Murphy is on the whistle for Ulster vs. Leinster on Saturday.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frank Murphy is on the whistle for Ulster vs. Leinster on Saturday.

jaysus.
    i thought he was quite poor last sunday.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    jaysus.
    i thought he was quite poor last sunday.

he is a poor ref.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he is a poor ref.

i wouldnt say in general hes poor though.

id been impressed with him when he originally come onto the scene.
    i felt last sunday though there was a lot of skullduggery around the maul that he hadnt a handle on at all, and his offside calls werent consistent.

a good ref for me will call the same offense in the 80th minute that they do in the 1st.

Looks like Ross may have picked up a knock they haven't announced, wrapping on ankle and working with Senior Injury and Rehabilitation Coach Diarmaid Brennan:

1982236.jpg

Ireland and Leinster loosehead prop Cian Healy has signed a 1 year extension to his IRFU contract up to the end of the 2021/22 season.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/03/05/cian-healy-signs-irfu-contract-extension/

Ireland and Leinster loosehead prop Cian Healy has signed a 1 year extension to his IRFU contract up to the end of the 2021/22 season.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/03/05/cian-healy-signs-irfu-contract-extension/

For gods sake could they not have announced this yesterday. Now we have to have the same argument with everyone swapping sides.

• Advertisement

Leinster's loosehead prop depth chart next season:

Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf)
    Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD)
    Peter Dooley(27/Birr RFC/Lansdowne)
    Michael Milne(22/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD)

Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
    Jack Boyle(19/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

salmocab wrote: »
    For gods sake could they not have announced this yesterday. Now we have to have the same argument with everyone swapping sides.

hah yeah, was thinking the same.

I think rationally it's sensible and hard to argue against it — there isn't much depth below Healy and Kilcoyne right now, and the deal is only for 12 months. Eric O'Sullivan and Ed Byrne are the next two right now but are a step down. After that, there's no-one obviously ready to step in over the next 12 months. Maybe Dooley? Josh Wycherly? I think it would be hard to make a case for anyone else right now.

I know there's talk of moving Porter back to #1, but I think you end up with the same problem on the other side in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster's loosehead prop depth chart next season:

Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf)
    Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD)
    Peter Dooley(27/Birr RFC/Lansdowne)
    Michael Milne(22/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD)

Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
    Jack Boyle(19/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

Is Hanan officially year 1 at the moment? I know he didn't start the year in the academy and I know people have been promoted mid way through.

Just wondering what the implication is for the start of next season or indeed his 3 year tenure

Is Hanan officially year 1 at the moment? I know he didn't start the year in the academy and I know people have been promoted mid way through.

Just wondering what the implication is for the start of next season or indeed his 3 year tenure

Yeah he and Osborne are year 1 academy players.

Similar to Cormac Foley, who joined mid way through last season and moved to year 2 this season. Hanan and Osborne will be Year 2 academy players next season.

Yeah he and Osborne are year 1 academy players.

Similar to Cormac Foley, who joined mid way through last season and moved to year 2 this season. Hanan and Osborne will be Year 2 academy players next season.

Good to know cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see Coetzee is back for Ulster.

Hopefully it's the disinterested version we saw in the Pro 14 final.

EvtccpbXEAI1g_5?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster shade it in the forwards, but Ulster's backline is ridiculously strong. Of we come out of this game with a losing bonus point I'd say we've done well.

Harsh for Dooley to get the chop.

Surprised but glad for him that Penny hung on to the 8 shirt. Let's see how well he deals with Coetzee.

Jimmy covering 10 does not fill me with a huge amount of confidence but we have some amount of beef in the pack to keep it tight

• Advertisement

Leinster literally running out of backs..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement