Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running outdoors on pavement with back problems

Options
  • 28-02-2021 9:17pm

Hi, so I've previously had issues with my lower back, I'm 6'4" and I just get stiffness and pain sometimes. All good lately though, I saw a physiotherapist about a year ago and I've been symptom free since.

Anyway, since gyms are closed for the foreseeable and with weather improving I'd like to go jogging but I'm worried the impact of pavement might affect my lower back.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Are there special running shoes that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi, so I've previously had issues with my lower back, I'm 6'4" and I just get stiffness and pain sometimes. All good lately though, I saw a physiotherapist about a year ago and I've been symptom free since.

Anyway, since gyms are closed for the foreseeable and with weather improving I'd like to go jogging but I'm worried the impact of pavement might affect my lower back.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Are there special running shoes that can help?

If your back seems fine now, then its probably safe to go for a jog. Running in of itself shouldn't have a negative impact on your back. Just build uo the duration slowly, and keep your oace comfortable easy,.
    There are no real "special shoes that can help" outside of regular running shoes. There are way to many brands and models to go into here. But my suggestion would to get a neutral cushion shoe that you find comfortable. Bear mind that most shops are closed now so will be hard to try before you buy.

Ceepo wrote: »
    If your back seems fine now, then its probably safe to go for a jog. Running in of itself shouldn't have a negative impact on your back. Just build uo the duration slowly, and keep your oace comfortable easy,.
    There are no real "special shoes that can help" outside of regular running shoes. There are way to many brands and models to go into here. But my suggestion would to get a neutral cushion shoe that you find comfortable. Bear mind that most shops are closed now so will be hard to try before you buy.

Thanks for this.

"Bear mind that most shops are closed now so will be hard to try before you buy."

Yeah that's the issue. I suppose I could buy online, but there's obviously a risk doing that. I have an old pair of running shoes so I guess I could try these out and go easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks for this.

"Bear mind that most shops are closed now so will be hard to try before you buy."

Yeah that's the issue. I suppose I could buy online, but there's obviously a risk doing that. I have an old pair of running shoes so I guess I could try these out and go easy.

It depends on what the issue with your back was/is.

Listen to your body and if possible try and mix up the surfaces your run on, grass and trail best concrete the worst for me

TbL

It depends on what the issue with your back was/is.

Listen to your body and if possible try and mix up the surfaces your run on, grass and trail best concrete the worst for me

TbL

Funnily enough I never was given a diagnosis, just that my desk set-up needed fixing.

I'm city centre so my only option is pavement, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Funnily enough I never was given a diagnosis, just that my desk set-up needed fixing.

I'm city centre so my only option is pavement, unfortunately.

I’d also strongly advise working on building up your core strength

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Google 'glute activation exercises for running' and do a few before you run.
    Deskwork tightens your hip (flexors) from sitting a lot. This can cause strain down the back of your body. Not related to your back issues, but if you run without firing your glutes you'll be over working your lower back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Shoes certainly help. Especially the right type and properly fitted.

The impact of hard ground certainly makes a difference.
    I don't know where you are located but do look into sports tracks such as at universities or even beaches or parks instead.

If not an option then consider biking or spin cycling instead.

Whichever you choose, protect your back.

Advertisement