Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diagnostics/scanning tools - what/how/which

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

I would think you would need a proper diagnosis clear those codes open them modules.but you could put roughly were you are in country and someone with vcds might help could ask as well on autostadt on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Whocare wrote: »
    I would think you would need a proper diagnosis clear those codes open them modules.but you could put roughly were you are in country and someone with vcds might help could ask as well on autostadt on Facebook

Reply as above most of them obd app only read engine faults in order to read and check the fault codes you have u need a actual deadicated diagnostic machine that will read the different systems on the car. Like the abs the transmission and the Tpms system.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Reply as above most of them obd app only read engine faults in order to read and check the fault codes you have u need a actual deadicated diagnostic machine that will read the different systems on the car. Like the abs the transmission and the Tpms system.

Far as I know the likes of OBDEleven does the different systems,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

To follow up on this, I left the car overnight and then took a short drive. At first the warning lights came on, but after stopping at the shop for 5 or so mins everything has reset itself ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Far as I know the likes of OBDEleven does the different systems,

Yes I know trust me I know. I’m a bmw mechanic. You need a dedicated diagnostic machine forgot these obd apps not worth a ****.
    If your having trouble and your stuck il give ya a dig out it’s a long weekend and if you need help just ask il offer my services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Bmw123d wrote: »
    If your having trouble and your stuck il give ya a dig out it’s a long weekend and if you need help just ask il offer my services

Nice one - thanks for input and offer (unfortunately I’m ~17,000km away :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

+1 for OBD11
    Brilliant piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

vectra wrote: »
    +1 for OBD11
    Brilliant piece of kit.

Used Torque for a long time and now use OBD11.
    Lots of nice features and has saved me a good chunk of change already

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

@OP you should check out Carista. It's mainly aimed at VAG cars and scans general faults as well as more specific ones.

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    @OP you should check out Carista. It's mainly aimed at VAG cars and scans general faults as well as more specific ones.

I had Carista.
    Not a patch on OBD11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

I bought a vgate vs600 on ebay about 4 years about €30 delivered and i have to say its been worth its weight in gold! Its a handheld type always have it in boot of car!

It does general read and erase also pending faults, can read manufacturers specific codes, has live data aswell.

Ive used it on a multitude of cars petrol and diesel 2002 bmw 3 series up to a 2016 renault kadjar diesel has never failed to pull a code also a description of fault.

Live data has helped diagnose bad 02 sensors and maf's etc.

If i was to buy a new one id get something like foxwell nt650 purely for dpf, srs airbag,injector coding, abs faults but it would be overkill really for the little id do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

vectra wrote: »
    I had Carista.
    Not a patch on OBD11

VCDS for vag cars, unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Can someone recommend a scan tool that is within a relatively cheap budget, sub €500 that could release electric parking brake for rear brake changes. I currently own a Japanese car but may switch to a German or English in a few years so I'd like if it worked with a wide range of makes and models, or am I asking to much?

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Ive used Torque for years, its great for the live data but doesn't always read all the fault codes in my experience. It picks up some of them.

I got the carly adapter and this seems to be much better at reading and clearing faults, but its quite expensive, €60 euro a year subscription, and about €60 for the adapter.

https://app.mycarly.com/en/result/?c=IE&b=vag&n=Skoda

I'd give up the netflix subscription to fund it, looks like it does more than enough for a diy'er but seems to cater much more for the German brands exclusively

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I was looking for a scanner or software to reset airbags on old 2002 mondeos and transits so any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

kincaid wrote: »
    I was looking for a scanner or software to reset airbags on old 2002 mondeos and transits so any help appreciated

Google Forscan. You can download it for free. All you need is an ELM cable

Google Forscan. You can download it for free. All you need is an ELM cable

This ^^
    But you might have to register to get forscan enabled, ( which is free to reg and gives a month or two free )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What's the best diagnostics app and bluetooth adapter to use??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you add car details like model etc that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

You know those aldi OBD2 Scanners are pretty good for the price. Not blu tooth but can scan faults and wipe them. You just need to Google the fault code after. Was 30 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

you can get the DS150e for about €30 on Aliexpress and use Delphi diag software 2017 R3 is the latest version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone any experience of Ancel scanners? Am looking at the X6 which appears to have a very impressive specification indeed

I bought a vgate vs600 on ebay about 4 years about €30 delivered and i have to say its been worth its weight in gold! Its a handheld type always have it in boot of car!

It does general read and erase also pending faults, can read manufacturers specific codes, has live data aswell.

Ive used it on a multitude of cars petrol and diesel 2002 bmw 3 series up to a 2016 renault kadjar diesel has never failed to pull a code also a description of fault.

Live data has helped diagnose bad 02 sensors and maf's etc.

If i was to buy a new one id get something like foxwell nt650 purely for dpf, srs airbag,injector coding, abs faults but it would be overkill really for the little id do.

I was looking at the foxwell nt650. The other day, seems to promise a lot for the price, but I read some reviews saying that it didn't work and was just a basic code reader in fancy clothes? I'd pick it up if it could do what it says, mainly I'd get the use out of it with releasing rear calipers for brake changes on the rear of EPB vehicles. I also read that you need to download software for it, is this all free and you just pay for the tool and no added costs? Definitely something I'd like to have if it checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Albert Bundy

There is a new and cool update available for the delphi.

Everything works in this new version.

Dual board vci's do not work well (The cheap ones you bought!)

Good quality SINGLE board vci is required like in the picture.

€60-€100 FROM CHINA !!!

Even they are not perfect but changing 4 cheap resistors for 2 proper CAN filters will make a big difference!

👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oojohoo1

Cant fault it. it can do everything, as long as you have a VAG car.

Can do everything from priming the fuel pump to checking faults etc..And much more if you are handy at the coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Any recommendations for Mercedes (S213 2017).

Nothing wrong but handy to have.

Have used torque in the past with a cheap Bluetooth dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

I would advise to buy the VCDS HEX-V2 Enthusiast (3 VIN)

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

https://vcdsdiagnostics.co.uk/product/vcds-hex-v2-enthusiast-usb-interface-three3-different-carsvin-numbers/

(Note that you need a laptop)

ODB11 is nice but I would feel like a cash cow paying for all the coding options...

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

OBD11 definitely has its faults but you only pay for coding in one click apps, a feature rosstech doesn't even offer to be fair. You can still do the coding manually as you would with vcds, the apps just make it one click rather than flipping bits in long coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is there a breakdown of what VCDS gives you over OBD11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Vcds and obd eleven are capable of the same basic things, obd eleven is a little more capable as it offers all vcds can do and eeprom editing and the one click apps that aren't possible with vcds.

The main advantages of vcds are:

Less bugs, you can be pretty sure whatever you have to do will work.

Better labels for live data, although this is improving with obd eleven.

Logins for security access, both have helpers to give you the login codes you need but vcds has way more of them at this point.

Advertisement