Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hardman Races 2021

• 02-02-2021 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

What's the opposite of "such a bring-down, man?"... up for debate, but in this ever tightening world of lock-downs and restrictions, the Hardman race series remains a beacon of Hope and Joy. Worth posting a heads up that there are only a few entries left in the full Hardman (Bantry half has a few left too; Waterville half and Valentia sprint are sold out).

I'm in for Valentia, Waterville, and Killarney, hope to see a few from here down there! Who is in for what?

(Disclaimer- unfortunately I have received no gratuity or benefit from this shameless product placement... probably should be on a commission at this stage but to be honest I've gotten more than my value for entry money over the years, and I think repeat customers think the same:D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Down for Bantry myself. Have only ever heard good things about Hardman events and the fact he managed to hold races last year was the selling point for me. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Down for Bantry too. Was gong to hold off registering to see how everything was panning out however with the space getting limited I bit the bullet.

Never did Hardman before so really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

What's the opposite of "such a bring-down, man?"... up for debate, but in this ever tightening world of lock-downs and restrictions, the Hardman race series remains a beacon of Hope and Joy. Worth posting a heads up that there are only a few entries left in the full Hardman (Bantry half has a few left too; Waterville half and Valentia sprint are sold out).

I'm in for Valentia, Waterville, and Killarney, hope to see a few from here down there! Who is in for what?

(Disclaimer- unfortunately I have received no gratuity or benefit from this shameless product placement... probably should be on a commission at this stage but to be honest I've gotten more than my value for entry money over the years, and I think repeat customers think the same:D)

Some of us were well aware of Hardman before the masses got wind of its greatness ;) I did the first Hardman in 2011 when there were only 16 individuals and 9 relay teams. I'm delighted the races are finally getting the recognition they deserve and are selling out. I love the no no nonsense approach to these races and the fact I can do a full IM on a course like that and it won't cost me a small fortune. They have their faults but I can live with that.

I entered the full distance for 2021 as soon as it opened - if I can remember how to swim it'll be my 7th time doing it. It's my annual triathlon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Did waterville and hardman and while Alan was thrown a few curve balls leading into them with reduced numbers etc he worked through them when others may have waved the white flag. Even day before hardman had to change run course due to flooding.

There was a unique buzz about while prepping bike early morning which was very diff to the IM races.
    We were blessed with a lovely day last year and even when in race mode you couldnt but help admire some of the views on the bike. Simply amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

The video here is well worth watching if you haven't seen it. Shows how epic the 2020 Hardman was :)

https://www.facebook.com/HardmanIreland/videos/1506455146216018/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Mr. Hardman is running for President of TI!

link

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

Good to hear as he has definitely got some pedigree.

I will get around to his races. They are on the bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

How is that position filled - does it go to a vote of the members?

EC1000 wrote: »
    How is that position filled - does it go to a vote of the members?

"Each Triathlon Ireland affiliated club has one vote at the AGM.

Each club must appoint a member from within their club to represent it as a delegate and vote on its behalf.

The deadline to register is Friday April 9th 2021."

I've asked my club to support Alan Ryan, based on what he has done with the Hardman races. He might not be elected, but fair play for putting his hand up (ditto the others going for election).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

"Each Triathlon Ireland affiliated club has one vote at the AGM.

Each club must appoint a member from within their club to represent it as a delegate and vote on its behalf.

The deadline to register is Friday April 9th 2021."

I've asked my club to support Alan Ryan, based on what he has done with the Hardman races. He might not be elected, but fair play for putting his hand up (ditto the others going for election).

i assume since you asked your club to support alan you must have read the vice presidents manifesto could you point out where i can read that ?
    i have read alans manifesto which sounds pretty good but still i d like to see the other manifesto.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    i assume since you asked your club to support alan you must have read the vice presidents manifesto could you point out where i can read that ?
    i have read alans manifesto which sounds pretty good but still i d like to see the other manifesto.

Absolutely Peter, here is Bernard Hanratty's manifesto https://www.triathlonireland.com/wp-content/uploads/Bernard-Hanratty.pdf

In fact our club committee will be meeting both candidates by zoom prior to the AGM. They will probably decide on the status quo but personally I'd like to see Alan have a strong input to TI over the next few years. Both good candidates who would each bring a different flavour to the role, but some fresh thinking from someone who makes successful races go ahead in Covid times swings it for me. Unfortunately votes are one per TI club rather than one per TI membership, so if anyone does feel strongly one way or the other they should contact their club committee.

Absolutely Peter, here is Bernard Hanratty's manifesto https://www.triathlonireland.com/wp-content/uploads/Bernard-Hanratty.pdf

In fact our club committee will be meeting both candidates by zoom prior to the AGM. They will probably decide on the status quo but personally I'd like to see Alan have a strong input to TI over the next few years. Both good candidates who would each bring a different flavour to the role, but some fresh thinking from someone who makes successful races go ahead in Covid times swings it for me. Unfortunately votes are one per TI club rather than one per TI membership, so if anyone does feel strongly one way or the other they should contact their club committee.

thanks
    i prefer it when somebody calls a spade a spade
    the only definite 2 points i can see from the current vice president are
    I would like to see the number of youths affiliated with Triathlon doubled within 4 years.

The ultimate goal will be to host a European Cup or World Cup event in Ireland.

the rest seems to be cooperate language that says nothing.

I am sure i must be missing something so would appreciate if somebody could enlighten me .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What does the role of President of TI involve? Is it a voluntary role or paid full time position?

o euro income
    expenses get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

How do you feel about the other applicant Peter? You have commented on the vice presidents while only saying the other sounds good.

It does seem like he doesn't say a whole lot compared to Alan's alright, in my opinion though, there is a conflict of interest in a private race operator also being TI president, I'm sure it can be sorted out but no proposal has been put forward. I like Alan's proposal though, I like the focus being back on the normal TI member. I like the call for better transparency and consistency with rules. Not sure I agree with the contracting out of the high performance element to 1 provider but at least he's willing to look at it and look at alternatives to what's currently in place.

The governance experience of Bernard is relevant, he would have knowledge of the governance elements of what is required for an organisation in receipt of state funding, it's pretty onerous. I think mentioning the strategic planning is clever too, Ti's strategic plan seems to have been up in 2020 so I'd guess the main role of the president will be facilitating the design and creation of the new strategic plan.

In my memory its one of the more public elections, and has brought attention to the role. Even some of the issues mentioned by Alan would have to be looked at so the publicity can only be a good thing I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Is the role of President of TI one that has been rendered much less important with the existence of a CEO? Similar to GAA, FAI, etc.?

i do not disagree with anything you say.
    and i guess should i have said that what alan says sounds good or better than what bernhard says than I guess this is not what i should have said.
    what i see so far is one proposal that has an intention that can be discussed.
    and one which says a lot but nothing specific. its a bit like the eu contract with astra. best intensions are great but how do you pin them down when you ask for the delivery.
    I would want to hear more ideas from bernhard if i was to vote as from the manifest i feel i do not get and outline what bernhard stands for. and i do not agree with all points alan comes up with but at least i have somewhat an idea what his plans are, and personally i don't buy product because the packing looks great i try to look more at the ingredients.

me us a non club member can't vote so i guess maybe i would prefer somebody that questions the current voting system than somebody that would appear to support it.

i do not disagree with alans conflict of interest, and i guess i would want to hear how this is going to be defined.here i agree just writing a rising tide rises all ships is not definite enough.
    at the same time the overall turnover of dublin city tri certainly at its peak was likely very similar to alans turnover if you use the last few year before covid.so does bernhard have less of an interest of conflict or will be pushed less by its club to look after their interest?

also has there not been a conflict of interest in the way that 3 out of the last 4 presidents have come from 1 tri club I wonder could we have maybe looked a bit further. i also wonder do you think it is good that the ti president for the last 20 years have been always within a 25 k circle of dublin? to me that is also a bit of a conflict of interest. I see those 3 aspects not too big of an issue but when i thought about conflict of interests with alan 2 to point did cross my mind immediately.

i guess personally i think TI is a very well oiled machine last time i checked ti had more Facebook follower than the german federation ...
    and germans has a 13en times higher population , I think ti is doing also very well in international posts but i do hear many people complaining that TI seems to have forgotten a bit the base and its too much of a business .
    so iam not really sure who has more interest of conflict at the moment ti or hardman so i guess maybe it would be useful to talk a bit more about it
    alan as a private race organiser maybe trying to look out to much for his own interests vs at the moment Ti trying to dictate and i would guess getting solid kickbacks for that *i do not know how that works which systems clubs use in order to be a nat series race.

personally i do not understand why people would care about nat series races at the same time you have give it to TI that they created something
    that seems to interest many people.
    ie in poland for instance that is completely different the market is totally dominated by independent race organisers i never hear anybody in germany telling me i want to focus on a national series next year. so fair play for ti to create something that makes is feasible for clubs to organise races with bigger relevance.

one thing i would be a bit more interested in is how much of the current international work that ti does is made by the president, the vice president or the ceo. i might be wrong but i have a feeling this is something that has shifted quite a bit over the 20 years ago where in the early 2000s the president was everything president vice president and coo, to a more backseat role of the last 2 presidents. i wonder how right or wrong I would be here. i certainly do agree TI needs to look outwards as well.

high performance is a bit tricky i guess this really depends on how many athletes qualify for oly games , so given that an ti president election is after an olympic cycle its hard to judge the result if the result is not there.
    you could say that italy has outsourced somewhat to joel fillol and italy has made great progress over the last 4 years. whereby joel was employed by itialian federation but also run his private squad.
    at the same time so has norway improved with a more traditional system.
    fact is both coaches achieve world class results and at the end this is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

EC1000 wrote: »
    Is the role of President of TI one that has been rendered much less important with the existence of a CEO? Similar to GAA, FAI, etc.?

I think this is the real key thing. I can't find anywhere on the TI site about what the role of the president is, but I've probably missed it.

In my own experience, I work in the not for profit sector, working with organisations who receive state funding and checking their governance and other bits like that. President role would have (I think) a similarity to the director role in some of the organisations I work with. More centred around the governance of an organisation, that its meeting its funding requirements and reporting requirements. Bit of a focus on the strategic element of the organisation and its longer term plans. Day to day running is left to the manager and staff, probably the ceo and staff of TI. But they take their overall guidance from the board.

Some of what Alan is proposing he will do may be outside the remit of the president, but at same time the fact it is being brought up may put the eye on some of the practice and behaviours.

Fair play to both tho, I'd say it's a pretty thankless role, there is also risk attached to being involved in an organisation at that level.

I think this is the real key thing. I can't find anywhere on the TI site about what the role of the president is, but I've probably missed it.

i was looking a few days ago but could not find it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Advertisement

AGM being streamed on YouTube at the moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHvnD3ZpEU

Congrats to the new TI President Alan Ryan! :D

Advertisement