Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kells Transport Museum

• 09-07-2019 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Just got a call about this place. Apparently “The great Clear out” has happened and the site cleared

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just got a call about this place. Apparently “The great Clear out” has happened and the site cleared

When did that fire happen? Has everything been removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

When did that fire happen? Has everything been removed?

There’s a photo of LA37 on Facebook recently crushed. The fire in question was in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrqy1BDohaY&feature=youtu.be on Facebook - what happened to Dr.Grimes?

The site looks to be an environmental disaster waiting to happen. Pity the unfortunate fire crews who will be called out to tackle the inevitable gigantic blaze here.

The site was cleared

The site was cleared

Any idea of when as not clear from video? What happened to Michael Grimes?

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Any idea of when as not clear from video? What happened to Michael Grimes?

Cleared in the last 12/18 months, some buses made it out of there to be properly restored/preserved, but the majority were crushed. Grimes is around West Cork

The man who put up the video says it was recorded yesterday - you both can't be right. :confused:

The man who put up the video says it was recorded yesterday - you both can't be right. :confused:

That’s substantially cleared compared to previous occasions. Leave it with me and I’ll share it with those with internal knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it looks like many of the buses were deliberately trashed. Shocking.

Isambard wrote: »
    it looks like many of the buses were deliberately trashed. Shocking.

Some of the thrashing was done while the others were crushed on site, there was mere vandalism, broken windows, up to that point. The Bus Eireann Coach, i think EVH8 or 15, was almost fully intact when i was there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

what happened to Dr.Grimes?

Bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

I see that KD184 (the only known surviving BE example of the type) has taken a battering in the process of clearing the yard. Granted it was very likely beyond saving well before this point, but still not a nice sight to see...

Did I hear it right that there was another fire here within the last couple of months?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did anyone else have such a collection of Ulsterbus vehicles?

That groups Irish content is heavily from Summer 2021 with some Summer 2022 stuff also.

Video up, it's Kells and from Summer 2022. So there was a lot left after the earlier clearouts anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O04MZ9--7Q

What exactly was ol' Grimey's game here?

Why was he grabbing everything he could get his hands on?

Someone suggested on another forum that the term "transport museum" was just a flag of convenience for operating a scrapyard by any other name without environmental controls, other relevant permits, planning etc. Whether or not that's true I don't know but I wouldn't put anything past that guy...

Feck knows. Almost certainly stopped some kit from going to actual preservation in the process too.

Advertisement