Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog costs

• 20-10-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a dog and I was wondering how much would it cost to feed a dog every week ? How many tins of dog food would a dog need per day 2 to 3 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

STEE wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a dog and I was wondering how much would it cost to feed a dog every week ? How many tins of dog food would a dog need per day 2 to 3 ?

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

STEE wrote: »

The costs of dog ownership far exceeds tins of dog food (sorry don’t mean to sound harsh)

Feeding a dog depends on dog size / weight and quality of the food .. so can be a little or alot (just to point out cheap and low quality food will more than likely lead to health issues)

Other dog costs:
    Yearly vaccinations
    Neutering
    Regular worming
    Collar / ID tags
    Leads
    Grooming (depends on breed/ dog)
    Pet insurance / emergency vet care
    Medication (if needed long term)
    Kennels ( if you go away)
    Bedding / kennel
    Toys
    Treats

And I could go on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

I don’t think there’s any way of giving you an answer to that question. There are so many ‘depends’ - size of dog, breed, the dogs nutritional needs etc. The cost of dog food varies widely.

However if you’re looking at cost of keeping a dog, you need to look at much more than just food - bed, lead, treats, toys, vet, licence, insurance.....I’m sure there are more factors to consider but these are just some.....it quickly adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Cocker has a more extensive list than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Well for a start there is an initial outlay to get the dog & this could be a few 100 to over 1K

Food depends on size of dog/quality of the dog food, how active the dog is. I do buy a lot of treats & toys. Look at Zooplus for prices.

You need a decent collar & lead, ID. I use Dogmatic Leads & collars, not cheap but great quality & long lasting.

If registered, change of ownership fee
    Worming/Vaccinations/flea treatment. I only give first vaccinations & then if going into kennels. I don't treat for fleas/ticks that they don't have.

Grooming, For breeds that need a lot of grooming - this is an added expense. I groom my own & an owner can learn to do this. You would need brushes, combs & a nail clippers & for washing beds, I use a horse rug bag for the washing machine. Keeps all the hair inside it.

Neutering/spaying. I don't neuter my dogs & bitches are spayed after their show career is finished & I pay €100 per small breed. There are pros & cons to this.

Crates/beds - though mine go on the sofa. They do all have their own crates & dog bowls. I use waterproof crate mats.

Dog licence

Boarding Kennels costs. - Depends on dogs size. Big dogs cost more

Dogs however give far more back than you ever spend on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Knine wrote: »
    I use a horse rug bag for the washing machine. Keeps all the hair inside it.

OMG. What a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Choc Chip wrote: »
    OMG. What a good idea!

You can get them on ebay or Amazon! Cheap & cheerful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but that said your can put some numbers on it.

Food will depend on dog size but for example we've a lab who is 35kg ish and we would spend about 50 euro a month on a 12kg bag of food and that is decent enough food not cheap crap. It's worth spending bit more on food.
    Yearly vaccinations I can't remember exact figure but between 40 and 60 I think.
    Neutering, one of cost few hundred
    Regular worming, 100 ml of parazole is 22 and that would do my dog 3 doses. Meant to do 4 times a year so no more than 30.
    Collar / ID tags, Leads, not quite one off but not to regular either, say 40 a year.
    Grooming (depends on breed/ dog), no idea I just brush mine, but even for dogs that need it you can do yourself
    Pet insurance / emergency vet care, don't have insurance myself, it probably is good to get but it's 400 a year ish and we decided to just put some money aside. Insurance is always a kind of gamble anyway.
    Medication (if needed long term), this could potentially be pricey but you may not have to at all
    Kennels ( if you go away) not sure on price here we have friends and family that can mind
    Bedding / kennel, a bed should last a good while so more of a one off expense 100, more if want kennel too
    Toys, you do need toys such as kongs, frisbee, tug rope etc your could spend a lot here but I think for 50-100 a year your would have a lot of toys.
    Treats, including chews and training treats maybe 10-20 a month

I'm sure some will disagree with some of my numbers but it should give you a ballpark, it is good to do some research into it. Big dogs will generally be more expensive, food, medical, equipment.

I will say there is potential for big expenses with medical, so probably best to expense for insurance.

To finish, and not saying you don't know this, but getting a dog is so much more than the financial aspect. It's big time and effort commitment but very worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

First of all knock that tins of dog rubbish on the head.
    Pay extra for the proper food, you will save in the long run on vet bills.

If money is such an issue then , again may be a dog is not for you.
    They need attention, walks, and most of us owners that means holiday plans are changed, say goodbye to going out halloween, new years eve and any other night that has fireworks.
    They need grooming, cleaning, and to all caring owners become part of the family,

As the post above says, vet bills license, insurance , vaccinations, treats, main food.
    I had 2 collies and a huge shepherd at the time, between food, vet bills , licenses, etc the 3 dogs at the time cost us less that my wife and I had then spent of cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cost a fortune, and thats only vets bills.

Brodi is grand but Pip is an idiot, every time we get our bill in the vets close to zero she goes and does something again, i'm sure she's working in league wit the vet to belled me dry, i dunno what their masterplan is but i'll find out :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

First of all knock that tins of dog rubbish on the head.
    Pay extra for the proper food, you will save in the long run on vet bills.

How do you know it's tins of rubbish food the op is referring to?
    I feed my dogs tinned food. It's not rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

DBB wrote: »

+1 With a 12 year old Springer and never a problem with tinned food.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Get pet insurance.
    Allianz have been brilliant.

Do not skimp on the quality of dog food.
    As other have said it is much better in the long run.
    Lots of good options our fella is on lily's kitchen pretty reasonable, our vet took a look at it and couldn't fault it (despite them having Gain at reception)

was referring to the cheap muck.

I thought that was self evident, but guess not to some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

2000 euro

Often walking mine I get asked "do it cost much to feed him".

Oddly I never once in my life ever thought about his food cost, I always accepted that like a human, you feed them what they needs and what is right.

As I said earlier i had spent more on cigarettes, spend a few bob on rubbish like chocolate, beer, etc, but dog food was like electricity, it was an essential part of your weekly spending.

Point being if you are a person worried a lot about costs, or like some others on this forum, worried about walking them, or how much hair they might shed, and other things, then a dog might not be the thing for you, as its a comittment you have to be prepared to give for many years.

I dont mean to sound bad, but most dog owners will know where i am coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Often walking mine I get asked "do it cost much to feed him".

Oddly I never once in my life ever thought about his food cost, I always accepted that like a human, you feed them what they needs and what is right.

As I said earlier i had spent more on cigarettes, spend a few bob on rubbish like chocolate, beer, etc, but dog food was like electricity, it was an essential part of your weekly spending.

Point being if you are a person worried a lot about costs, or like some others on this forum, worried about walking them, or how much hair they might shed, and other things,! then a dog might not be the thing for you, as its a comittment you have to be prepared to give for many years.

I dont mean to sound bad, but most dog owners will know where i am coming from

This post makes me incredibly sad, in a few ways.

We share and learn here. Loving our pets.

Caring for them well, and expertly . Be we millionaires or pensioners. They come first in our lives.

With a caring and commitment that has no price. Is not means tested

I have said to people that if I was on a boat that was sinking and there was only room for one more in the lifeboat, my dog is getting the spot.

women and children could drown for all I care, I put my dog ahead of the entire human race outside my wife and family, and even then it would be a tough decision. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

1500 to 2000 per annum to do it correctly and to give the dog a decent life

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

1500 to 2000 per annum to do it correctly and to give the dog a decent life

This is a load of nonsense, its largely dependent on the type of dog, some dogs can be kept for very little not including veterinary emergencies of course, you could get a small breed terrier that would cost an absolute minimum to keep and still be well looked after

• Advertisement

This is a load of nonsense, its largely dependent on the type of dog, some dogs can be kept for very little not including veterinary emergencies of course, you could get a small breed terrier that would cost an absolute minimum to keep and still be well looked after

I would agree with that in general.

I had 2 large collies (brothers) and never had a single issue with them, and only time they needed a vet was their check ups and vaccinations, and things like teeth cleaning.

My shepherd suffers for allergies and needs more visits, and weighing over 50 kilos a big appetite, his medications are more expensive, even things like hardnesses, a halti, an extra large muzzle ( for vet visits).

In fact my collies together were cheaper to keep that the shepherd

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

was referring to the cheap muck.

I thought that was self evident, but guess not to some.

No. Nobody mentioned cheap tinned food. You just assumed that was what the op was referring to, and you did not make it at all clear that you meant "cheap muck"... it read, to me at least, that you think all tinned food is cheap muck.
    Which it's not.

No. Nobody mentioned cheap tinned food. You just assumed that was what the op was referring to, and you did not make it at all clear that you meant "cheap muck"... it read, to me at least, that you think all tinned food is cheap muck.
    Which it's not.

That is exactly what he does think?

DBB; thank you. I was so ….. mad... I signed out...… lol Food snobbery.? . With tinned you read the label and know they are getting all they need.

Pet "ownership" is for all folk eg pensioners, not just high earners.
    Something amiss if you are adding up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to comment on that too lol. I’d wager that the wet food we feed is better quality than the majority of dry foods people are feeding too..

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Listen you can do it on the cheap if you want to but i think one should advise a newbie with no experience of the costs in order to discourage them for getting a dog that might end up in rescue within weeks for daring to pee or shed or snap at a bold child.

A real dog person is not going to ask this sort of inane question they know the costs and go ahead this person should get a robotic dog that she can turn off and the costs would only be batteries!

Listen you can do it on the cheap if you want to but i think one should advise a newbie with no experience of the costs in order to discourage them for getting a dog that might end up in rescue within weeks for daring to pee or shed or snap at a bold child.

A real dog person is not going to ask this sort of inane question they know the costs and go ahead this person should get a robotic dog that she can turn off and the costs would only be batteries!

What on earth is a "real dog person" please?

And why " discourage" someone asking a genuine question ! It is not inane; it is responsible and sensible.

OP; maybe go to the supermarket and price various kinds of dog food? Read the advised quantities for different sized dogs that are often on the side, or google?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It extremely responsible to ask the question? You don’t know the OP’s circumstances. They are a beginner and are doing their research before getting a dog - if more people did this we wouldn’t have the welfare issues we have in this country. Everyone starts somewhere and I’d hope people can come here and and ask questions and advice without being made feel they’re stupid or ‘not a dog person’ for asking a question.

I am of the opinion that a guy that asks this question is doing the right thing in getting some groundwork done.

Far better than some kid getting a pup and not being able to look after it and end up giving it away. I do not think the above member asking should be getting grief for asking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I do not ‘do it on the cheap’ and spend less than €250 a year on dog food for two. I spend twice that on grooming. My dogs are small, they don’t eat much. Even combined the costs are only half what you estimate for one dog never mind two. Add in the occasional new bed that never get used some treats and the occasional new toy at about €100 a dog per year and you get €950 a year for two dogs. OP it depends on the size and individual needs of the dog. I will say if money is tight then pet insurance is also a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I dont do it on the cheap but neither do I see the need to spend 2 grand on a dog when its unnecessary

Advertisement