Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ahh glad she’s feeling better. Nothing worse than a poorly pooch.

• I just made my dogs a big batch of sorta kedgeree, made with lovely fresh fish fillets. Sometimes they're better fed than me! :D

Just gave the piggies their first haircuts. My OH has sworn to hide all the scissors because he feels sorry for them & the noises are something to behold.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

The missus is dropping hints she wants a water Dragon or something of that ilk...thinking of springing for one for Christmas, What kind of money can I expect to depart with for one and whatever accessories they require?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We don't advocate getting people pets as Christmas presents in here Slim Charles but you've reminded me to put up the annual sticky on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm in need of another Surefeed Microchip Pet Feeder. If anyone is looking to sell one please let me know. Can't really afford the brand new price so looking for second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

em_cat wrote: »
    Just gave the piggies their first haircuts. My OH has sworn to hide all the scissors because he feels sorry for them & the noises are something to behold.

PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, I didnt know you had to clip piggies!

aonb wrote: »
    PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, I didnt know you had to clip piggies!

They are long haired so I do a fringe & bum trim. Hermoine doesn't really appreciate having her back end handled so can get loud. Bea on the other hand enjoys the attention, she licks, purrs & popcorns. Ill try to get a pic as soon as Hermoine will forgive me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We have 2 piggies here & as soon as our Ringneck Parrot is out, he does his best to get into their cage. The two we have now have shorter coats so not loads of grooming on them. They are such underated pets.

Knine wrote: »
    We have 2 piggies here & as soon as our Ringneck Parrot is out, he does his best to get into their cage. The two we have now have shorter coats so not loads of grooming on them. They are such underated pets.

Agree, they are funny little things with their little personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our first walk in the park this morning after a weeks hols.. Lucy asked to go to the river (she always stands waiting for permission! :o).. I told her it was ok and off she ran.. next I see a cyclist coming called at her to stop and she immediately did... but I stupidly praised her for waiting for me just as I got to her and and she turned around and ran to go into the river and the cyclist hit her. She yelped and got a very bad fright... Then Bailey was a bit worried as to why the guy hurt/scared her - no barking just huffing and puffing. She seems fine but will keep an eye on her later and see how she is after resting all day... Of course I asked the guy a few times if he was ok but I also pointed out that he should have a bloody light on the bike(!) so everyone can see him - including the dogs. If he had a light it would have caught her hi-vis well in advance and he may have slowed down before he was on top of her and I was calling an emergency stop! :(
    Cycling is also not allowed in our park per the bye laws. Could have easily been a child - a few people have kids in early I assume going to their breakfast club before school.

I just hope she's ok and not suddenly sore later :( ... and I don't suddenly get a summons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone with a dog on zentomil, finding their dog is putting on weight in their mid region?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Today is the first day moose hasn’t made a peep all day while out in his run. I actually had to keep checking to make sure he was still there because normally he would be chatting away with me all day.
    But he had his snuggly fleece coat on, and was happy out cuddled up on the vet bed in his kennel and was too snug to even say hello! :pac:

WHHHHYYYYYYYY do people let their dog greet yours if they have the slightest inkling that their dog might snap?? :( There goes our progress with Lucy. And I'm assuming big bro Bailey will have a barking contest with that dog if we see it again because it frightened Lucy :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Do you ever suddenly notice age creeping up? Today I came across a video of our big dog out ploughing a couple of years ago. She'd trot along about 10m back and 5m out from the tractor, lie down and wait while the tractor turned, get up again and do the same thing back along the field. All day, trotting along, delighted to just be out, following the tractor.

She's lying on her bed now - she's on supplements but she's a bit stiff getting up, her back legs are weaker, she's a bit grey. She loves going to the farm, but if she spends half a day out there she's stiff and sore the next day so I have to limit her time. She's more confident than when she first arrived a few years ago (at around 5), she's just older.

I was told today that she sits and watches the tractor now, not trotting along beside.
    I've no idea how much time I've got left. I imagine she's a mix of breeds that might last 12 years or 16 years. The vet thinks she looks young for her age, just a little stiff. I live in denial most days, ignoring the daily creep of time and not noticing the cumulative effects of old age unless they're pointed out to me, or I see an old photo or video. I suppose I'll feel melodramatic if she lasts another 8 years. I hope the rescue were right about her age, that i might have 4 more years, or 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Do you ever suddenly notice age creeping up? Today I came across a video of our big dog out ploughing a couple of years ago. She'd trot along about 10m back and 5m out from the tractor, lie down and wait while the tractor turned, get up again and do the same thing back along the field. All day, trotting along, delighted to just be out, following the tractor.

She's lying on her bed now - she's on supplements but she's a bit stiff getting up, her back legs are weaker, she's a bit grey. She loves going to the farm, but if she spends half a day out there she's stiff and sore the next day so I have to limit her time. She's more confident than when she first arrived a few years ago (at around 5), she's just older.

I was told today that she sits and watches the tractor now, not trotting along beside.
    I've no idea how much time I've got left. I imagine she's a mix of breeds that might last 12 years or 16 years. The vet thinks she looks young for her age, just a little stiff. I live in denial most days, ignoring the daily creep of time and not noticing the cumulative effects of old age unless they're pointed out to me, or I see an old photo or video. I suppose I'll feel melodramatic if she lasts another 8 years. I hope the rescue were right about her age, that i might have 4 more years, or 5...

yep.. when I saw an old photo of my dog taken years ago, I noticed she had aged... white around the jowls etc.... I had her from a tiny and she lived 13 years.
    You are doing so well to face and document these things. A constant sadness that we outlive our pets

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi ChocChip, same here. Our lab would run for hours beside the tractor...would also love getting up on tractor for snooze while the
    OH worked away. Shes too arthritic now to get up, even with help. We.r weary in case she would jump off and do damage to a fragile
    pelvis. Heading for 13 years now, and Vet said aside from the pelvis, shes in great shape. Shes such a faithful companion.

Not dog related but can I just say that TK123 is an Angel. I lost a dress I brought in my local shopping centre which I was very upset about & she found it for me & then delivered it to my house. :D

;)

One am saw me coping with a large dead rat one of the cats presented me with..... GOOD CAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Graces7....She was showing you how much she loves you........Look at the lovely prize she caught for you....LOL....
    Hard to sleep last night with storm...you must be blown away out there Graces7....

Graces7....She was showing you how much she loves you........Look at the lovely prize she caught for you....LOL....
    Hard to sleep last night with storm...you must be blown away out there Graces7....

lol.. I know! Was OK as soon as I realised it WAS dead! At first I was not sure....I called the cat off then closed doors to kitchen and bedroom in case!

Yep windy out here. understatement... and yes, little sleep.. ah well.... was out-ing tomorrow but that is ooooorrrrrrrrrrf! As long as my shopping gets here today.. else the turkey in the freezer will become ..... catfood

For all the crafters out there, todays Kirstie's Homemade Christmas on Channel 4 is for pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

For all the crafters out there, todays Kirstie's Homemade Christmas on Channel 4 is for pets!

Just watched it! Such cute gifts :)

jellybear wrote: »
    Just watched it! Such cute gifts :)

This is the one I was waiting for! I'm literally surrounded by animals watching it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The tarp we put up over the cat run outside blew down yesterday with all the wind despite having netting over it and being cable tied on, and weighed down with bricks. So the cats ended up having an indoor duvet day yesterday. It’s so funny to see their difference reactions. Moose was delighted, went into bed with my mam and was just generally a cuddle monster all day.
    Peach and Cream on the other hand were both highly suspicious and spent the day skulking around the place because normally when they’re kept in, it means a vet visit :D they eventually settled by the afternoon when they realised there was no cat carriers down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Amelia Colossal Dice

Got a dog at the weekend. Lovely spaniel which needed rehoming.

It's doing a lot better than the dwarf hamsters we had.

Just bought. 6x3 m run for it. Will use it as a chicken run next year.
    By that time it will hopefully have gotten used to its new home.
    Can't let it loose at the moment for fear it would get under the hedge and into the cows in the back field. It doesn't know what a cow is!

Must’ve been freezing last night, Mr C wiggled his way under the duvet again...Frightened the sh*t* out my OH. It was very funny tho:)

I'm on puppy watch. I have puppies due today. It is gonna be a long night. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Amelia Colossal Dice

Knine wrote: »
    I'm on puppy watch. I have puppies due today. It is gonna be a long night. :D

What kind?

Advertisement