Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather Forum Zero Tolerance Policy

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's a shame that most conversation around here has gone from the weather to arguments. I for one would love to see it sorted out soon so we could get back to the weather, Some possibly very exciting times around the corner and all i see is posts about egos and trolls.

Come on lads we've all had enough of this crap at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Something needs to be sorted alright.
    Any hint of trolling should be dealt with a ban straight away. And when they come back from the ban complaining, ban them again. Harsh actions required to save our valuable forecasters.

We all know that it's a hard game to get right and those people who understand that will not pass snipe comments.

Maybe a forecasting section should be opened, only to people who really understand it in great depth. That would make it easier for the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

baraca wrote: »
    It's a shame that most conversation around here has gone from the weather to arguments. I for one would love to see it sorted out soon so we could get back to the weather, Some possibly very exciting times around the corner and all i see is posts about egos and trolls.

Come on lads we've all had enough of this crap at this stage.
    ^^^This

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think the OP's suggestion is very appropriate and should help to improve the atmosphere on the forum but would require some heavy moderation, at least at the start, there is no point having a model discussion thread unless all the extraneous stuff is deleted ASAP and that would I fear place a heavy burden on our 2 mods, there is no way they can be here 24/7 and with respect to the category Mods I'm not sure they are regulars here.

As I said before the problems here aren't new, it's all happened here before, people with a genuine interest in the weather need to be encouraged and messers need to be ignored by us members and given the boot by the Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I've been lurking here for about 2 years. Picked up a lot of insight into the weather. Still a lot of learning to do, but I think that goes for everyone.
    Looking back on some of my own posts, I see how they could be annoying to people with more experience. But that was never the intention.
    The hierarchy thread although it is a good idea, it may turn people off reading as the interaction element is lost. A lot of people come to learn, the thought of not being able to post may lead to people feeling excluded.

The only recommendations I’d have would be:
    1. Cut out any post with 4 or less words. If it has 4 or less words, it more than likely doesn't need to be said
    2. No unrelated pictures
    3. No unrelated videos
    The thing I find the most annoying is off topic posting. After hours and PMs are there for people who want a bit of mindless banter. This is the hardest to regulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Hey everyone

Just to let you all know that some of the suggestions that people are talking about here are already being discussed, and in the planning. :)

Right now, the focus has been on replacing Su Campu (as if such a thing could be done ;)) , and there will hopefully be some news on that soon, the Mods will keep everyone posted on that.

Once that bit is done, then the guys will have a full team again, and can put some of the ideas/plans etc that they have had into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Hi all,

I would just like to say that i largely agree with most of what has been said in here. The atmosphere in here has decayed recently and it is not the place it once was right now. I think that everyone should be allowed to contribute, no matter what their level of knowledge, as long as it's done in a respectful and genuine way.

There will be some new additions coming to the modding team in the very near future and we will be working very hard to rectify the problems on here and restore the board back to its former glory.

In future it may be better to contact one of the mods directly with any problem/idea you have with regard to the forum, but as we're trying to get the forum back on track i'll leave this open for now and encourage any members of the forum (long term lurkers or contributors) to post their opinions and ideas on how we can move from here (obviously within reason).

Trogdor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Any chance of Su coming back on the mods team ? He has been a great loss , it seems his working schedule allowed to him to be very active on the forum where this is not always going to be the case with people.

Il be honest folks ,

I was so dismayed with how things have been in here lately I mailed the mods to put my name forward to come on board as a mod

Although only a novice on charts and Synoptics my work schedule does allow me a lot of time to be online and I hated to see my favorite place on boards going down the pan , although this does not seem to be the case now as the mods will getting things back on track.

Anyway looking forward to the upcoming weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Min wrote: »
    I saw it posted in one thread that there are people with egos, referring to the people who actually who know what they are talking about, we all know the people we like to see posting because of their quality over quantity of posts, so here is my opinion.

I have posted on this forum for a while now, there are people who have contributed to this forum for a long time and have a good read of what the charts are saying. I look at the charts and I get an idea of what they are saying will likely be or predicted to be the weather.
    However I would not start a topic on it as I know there are others whose knowledge is far greater and if it is worth doing a topic about it, they will do a topic on it.
    Sometimes they are wrong, but at least they go into detail as to what the charts were telling them at a particular time and use more than one of the weather model forecasts and use other sources of information to build up their case.

No offense to any of the newer posters here, some are fine, some are too over enthusiastic when it comes to snow and hardship in my opinion but and this is important, there are poeple on this forum whose word is far more valued than others, who do quality rather than quantity when it comes to posts.
    I don't post a lot as I believe quality is better than quantity and even at that I would not say I post quality posts, but I read this forum a lot and there is a lot of rubbish posted at times.

That was post 3945 for you, and you don't post alot, ok buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    That was post 3945 for you, and you don't post alot, ok buddy!

I am talking about the weather forum.

There are many other forums on boards that I post on, I am not restricted to weather, I am not banned from all the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Trolls are part and parcel of the internet. It's very hard to stop trolling, while also ensuring that legitimate posts get through too; there are no objective criteria for a troll post. As such, I think people need to learn to not feed trolls. If you see a post and immediately think it's a troll post, then it probably is one. As such, ignore it. It might make you angry, you might be gagging to give him/her a piece of your mind, but it's really better for the thread involved and the forum as a whole to just ignore them and move on (after having reported the post possibly).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

andrew wrote: »
    Trolls are part and parcel of the internet. It's very hard to stop trolling, while also ensuring that legitimate posts get through too; there are no objective criteria for a troll post. As such, I think people need to learn to not feed trolls. If you see a post and immediately think it's a troll post, then it probably is one. As such, ignore it. It might make you angry, you might be gagging to give him/her a piece of your mind, but it's really better for the thread involved and the forum as a whole to just ignore them and move on (after having reported the post possibly).

Never a truer word spoken tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Why dont people simply block the people they dont like/argue with or find annoying instead of giving the trolls exactly what they want:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's good that this thread exists where people can get things off their chests, but to be honest there was already the zero tolerance thread weeks back that discussed the exact same issue and it has had little effect. I thought things had changed but this week we've seen the same ole shoyte from the same few posters. Maybe it's the lack of real eventful weather, but please, if you have nothing constructive to post, then post nothing, otherwise it becomes a frustrating after hours twin forum.

It's all well and good to say to a mod to just delete all the irrelevant posts, but when these outnumber relevant ones then it becomes quite a job. People could make things a lot easier for everyone if they did as was stated above and not react to trolling comments. The reality is that one trolling comment multiplies instantly, with people feeling they have to respond. Yeah, by all means respond - but with the Report button report.gif. A few reported posts will soon see that repeat offenders will be weeded out and the forum can return to what it's supposed to be. Unfortunately it would appear that some of these people responsible don't know who they are as they are posting in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I think the main reason why the weather forum is getting a bit muddied is because it has become more popular and thus has attracted in bigger audiences and inevitably its share of messers.
    Maybe if the name was changed to meteorology, seeing as it is in the science category, it may not seem as inviting to some of the mischief makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Joe Public wrote: »
    I think the main reason why the weather forum is getting a bit muddied is because it has become more popular and thus has attracted in bigger audiences and inevitably its share of messers.
    Maybe if the name was changed to meteorology, seeing as it is in the science category, it may not seem as inviting to some of the mischief makers.

excellent idea:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

andrew wrote: »
    but it's really better for the thread involved and the forum as a whole to just ignore them and move on (after having reported the post possibly).
    Su Campu wrote: »
    The reality is that one trolling comment multiplies instantly, with people feeling they have to respond. Yeah, by all means respond - but with the Report button report.gif. A few reported posts will soon see that repeat offenders will be weeded out and the forum can return to what it's supposed to be.

As a Mod here on boards, I've highlighted what I think is important for this forum going forward. USE THE REPORT BUTTON!

This is a very busy forum. Mods cannot and should not be expected to read every post, but they do see reports, but while a single report may or may not be acted upon (I should know ;)), if a number of reports come in, then this is the ammo to backup mods actions such as infractions and bannings. This way it's kind of the community does the bannings by consensus, the mods are simply pressing the button ;)...but with the knowledge/support of the wider community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Congrats redsunset , well deserved best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

darkman2 wrote: »
    This board is being trolled. They know who they are and they know what they are doing.

This place was absolutely fine not too long ago. Unfortunately with any forum or board targeted by trolling this is beyond the comprehension of those causing problems.

Ultimately that just ruins it for everyone and encourages genuine posters to leave.

Speaking as a genuine poster I'm getting tired of the fact that a certain group here seem to think they own the weather threads.

It is intolerance of diverse styles and opinions (especially about snow) that is causing the problem.

Personally I am getting very tired of obvious experts (like Sponge) being openly called "trolls" by certain posters who seem to have license to say what they like.

I have been a weather enthusiast for 40 years; have maintained weather records for 40 years. I am not a "model expert" but I have four decades of patterns and memories and I will not be bullied.

I was here last year. The weather was better for us snow-lovers.

And there was far less intolerance. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Speaking as a genuine poster I'm getting tired of the fact that a certain group here seem to think they own the weather threads.

It is intolerance of diverse styles and opinions (especially about snow) that is causing the problem.

:
    With respect i don't think that's the main problem.
    Those that have stayed on this forum, but who are just as peeved as others that have left, don't have a problem with diverse opinions being expressed about snow, rather there frustration is to do with posters whose(?) sole intentions are to goad/antagonise.
    I mean it would be extremely childish to be annoyed with someone because they express their dislike of snow or because they give an opinion that doesn't correspond with the wishes of others posters. If this mindset was prevalent a certain poster would not have been badly missed when he decided to leave for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Real shame to see WolfeIRE has closed his account, he was clearly a valuable member here and I always looked out for his comments on upcoming weather events.

Hope the forum sorts itself out and doesn't lose any more contributors... I think there can be a bit of over sensitivity at times from people, nothing wrong with some tongue in cheek comments at times or a bit of humour.

Those that have stayed on this forum, but who are just as peeved as others that have left, don't have a problem with diverse opinions being expressed about snow, rather there frustration is to do with posters whose(?) sole intentions are to goad/antagonise.

As someone who had no intention to "goad/antagonise" (nor any intention of being bullied) you will appreciate that my patience with folk who keep suggesting that, by association, I'm guilty, is running out.

Especially when some people keep suggesting that a certain prominent poster (whose posts I like, OK?) is a troll etc - when he clearly doesn't have the sole intention of goading/antagonising.

Or, perhaps any such intention - dunno - but unlike some here I don't claim to be a mind-reader.

Maybe that fact that he makes accurate predictions that don't result in snow while other are hopecasting is what is causing all the problem?

Looks like that to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

As someone who had no intention to "goad/antagonise" (nor any intention of being bullied) you will appreciate that my patience with folk who keep suggesting that, by association, I'm guilty, is running out.

Especially when some people keep suggesting that a certain prominent poster (whose posts I like, OK?) is a troll etc - when he clearly doesn't have the sole intention of goading/antagonising.

Or, perhaps any such intention - dunno - but unlike some here I don't claim to be a mind-reader.

Maybe that fact that he makes accurate predictions that don't result in snow while other are hopecasting is what is causing all the problem?

Looks like that to me.

No one is having a pop at you.

Some posters were getting annoyed that thread's were been taken over with harmless banter rather than anything substantial, TBH nothing really wrong on the viewpoint from either side ( Everyone was doing this , so your not being pointed out , neither is SB, it just happened that a SB post was the straw the broke the camels back today, there was words had and now its over and done with)

I myself try to save most of my chit chat and banter for the general winter thread and I feel its more suited to there than a forecast/synoptics discussion thread.

Whats said is over and done lets every start afresh and just start enjoying the forum again,

No point in holding any grudges :D

No point in holding any grudges :D

I don't! Life's too short.

(especially when you get to my age ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's all well and good to say to a mod to just delete all the irrelevant posts, but when these outnumber relevant ones then it becomes quite a job.

Unfortunately it would appear that some of these people responsible don't know who they are as they are posting in this thread!

Rather than deleting a post or comment maybe it is sometimes better to leave it there & with the Mod comment/action. It can be a problem where posters hear the warnings but don't think that they apply to them so a few clear examples might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Discodog wrote: »
    Rather than deleting a post or comment maybe it is sometimes better to leave it there & with the Mod comment/action. It can be a problem where posters hear the warnings but don't think that they apply to them so a few clear examples might help.

However that would probably take even longer than deleting all the rubbish that gets posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I will not be bullied.

Neither will I. If you want to criticise by all means do. Just be constructive about it like I am. I will never post a one liner comment goading another poster with an opinion. I will repost in as constructive and respectful a manner as possible. I will agree if I have been wrong. That is a better way then pointless one liners and antagonistic posting. That's my point. If you were offended by anything I said I apologise. I should have phrased it more appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've said my piece here, a little moderation goes a long way. IMO, it's time this thread was closed and unstickied.

It's OVER.

RedSunset, over to you. :)

EDIT
    We don't need to be told about how to Mod. PM if you have a problem or press report and we will look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Locking this thread.

That's it, Bickering is over. Do NOT bring any more of these arguments into another thread. Let it go and move on. No good will come of it.

IT ENDS HERE AND NOW

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement